Premed 101 Forums

Applying to Canadian Schools After Attending An American School

Has anyone had any luck doing this? Ie. Going to an American school for a year and then re-applying to a Canadian med-school and getting accepted as a first-year (or getting credit for courses completed in the States).

You will not be eligible to apply again if you've matriculated to a med school. You may be able to transfer but it is very difficult and under only extenuating circumstances will they be granted (i.e., I miss home, or I want a cheaper tuition do not count).

You will not be eligible to apply again if you've matriculated to a med school. You may be able to transfer but it is very difficult and under only extenuating circumstances will they be granted (i.e., I miss home, or I want a cheaper tuition do not count).

I just got this admissions from UBC admissions, so I don't believe you:

Thank you for your message.

Yes, you would be able to apply and we would acknowledge the courses you completed.

Warm regards,

Your Admissions Team,

MD Undergraduate Admissions

UBC Faculty of Medicine / AT

Please do not make outright assumptions. Provide information and the names of schools and their policies if you are sure said schools do not accept applicants who have attended at least a year of school in the States.

Anyone know people who have actually done this?

Yes, you would be able to apply and we would acknowledge the courses you completed.

Warm regards,

Your Admissions Team,

Please do not make outright assumptions. Provide information and the names of schools and their policies if you are sure said schools do not accept applicants who have attended at least a year of school in the States.

That would certainly be a rare case. I don't know what kind of person would put themselves through another application cycle, especially if you are busy with med school classes. From my reading around, I thought that you can apply, but you would be starting from scratch should you get in, and you would not be transferring into your previous level.

That would certainly be a rare case. I don't know what kind of person would put themselves through another application cycle, especially if you are busy with med school classes. From my reading around, I thought that you can apply, but you would be starting from scratch should you get in, and you would not be transferring into your previous level.

A person who wants to save $150,000 and be closer to his or her family? Come on, give me a break! You know that this is worth it.

I thought that too originally, but I think it is doable (at least theoretically) now! :)

A person who wants to save $150,000 and be closer to his or her family? Come on, give me a break! You know that this is worth it.

I thought that too originally, but I think it is doable (at least theoretically) now! :)

Think about this...you've lost a year of your life, of which you make no income. However, if you swallow the US tuition and finish in 4 years, you could be practicing and potentially making that $150k or more in that year that would be lost restarting in Canada.

Think about this...you've lost a year of your life, of which you make no income. However, if you swallow the US tuition and finish in 4 years, you could be practicing and potentially making that $150k or more in that year that would be lost restarting in Canada.

Think about this:

It is VERY likely that you will not make 150K right out of medical school

You will have to jump barriers to come back to Canada

You will save money (you know for damn certain you will save 150K)

You will be closer to home

You might have a lost a year, but you gained some type of credit (as per the msg from UBC)

I will say that a year of my life (learning) is worth 150K.

It'd be your decision. I certainly think you wouldn't get any support from your US school, and you sure would be scrutinized very hard for already being in a MD program and jumping ship. Family is one reason to switch, but if its about the money...

To add, thinking about ending up in the US, it has never crossed my mind about trying to get into a Cdn MD program afterwards. Seems like lunacy. Begs the question, why didn't you get into a Cdn med school in the first place?

Warm regards,

Your Admissions Team,

If you're talking about transferring schools, yes, it's possible. And yes, you will get credit, provided it's done after second year. Curricula at med schools are different, so it would be difficult to transfer (almost impossible) after one year. Although you learn the same things, some schools go by blocks, others go more traditional and have actual courses. Thus it would be difficult to match the curricula up exactly. For instance, some schools learn pathology all in second year. Others intersperse it within the first two years. Others do all their basic science in one year and start rotations second year (Duke). However, transferring is VERY difficult. Like I said, you have to make sure 1) there is space in the third year class, and 2) you have to have extenuating circumstances (death in family, sick relative, etc.). To be closer to family or for cheaper tuition do not count!

If you re-apply, while in first year medicine, you will have to start from scratch. They will not accept you and place you into the second year class. If you don't believe me, I invite you to try and I will buy you a house in Vancouver if they let you do it. Bottom line is you will have wasted a year of time and a year of tuition at a US school. If you TRANSFER after 2 years that would be another story. Either the admissions person you emailed at UBC misunderstood your question, or didn't know what you were asking, or you misinterpreted her email. Having "your courses acknowledged" is not the same as giving you advanced standing.

Read this from the UBC website if you don't believe me:

Admission of Students by Transfer

Opportunities for students to transfer into the UBC MD program are rare. Transfers are exclusive to third year and are possible only if there are vacancies in the class. In order to be eligible, students requesting transfer must be in good standing in a Canadian or US medical school accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools and the Liaison Committee on Medical Education.

The application deadline for transfer students is January 31. Applicants must submit an application for admission, application fees, a letter indicating their reasons for wishing to transfer, and a letter from the dean (or designate) of the medical school which they currently attend. Interviews may be required. Requests for partial-year transfers will not be considered.

Source: http://www.med.ubc.ca/education/md_ugrad/MD_Undergraduate_Admissions/Conditions.htm#Admission%20of%20Student%20by%20Transfer

Very possible that the question was misunderstood by Admissions. As for starting from scratch, that is a choice which I would consider.

Keith, it is not up to you to judge my choices in where I decide to go to school. This is my decision and reflects my own goals and motives. Please only respond to what my post is asking. It is a rational and viable choice (irregardless of your opinions) for a person who has the goal of becoming a physician to do it at a cheaper cost while losing a year of work. It is great that you are in the States and achieving your goals, though your goals aren't mine and you may have more resources available to accomplish them than I do.

Moo, I've read that transfer note before. I was unsure of what kind of credit would be received given the nature of the e-mail I received (hence this thread). I will respond with a more concise e-mail and hopefully get a more specific answer. I am with certainty leaning towards your view (though I hope by some luck that you will have to buy me a house in Vancouver!).

EDIT: I don't think it's a waste of time. (1) Because if you don't get accepted to the Canadian school you still have the American school to take you to your goals (2) If you do get accepted you make it to your goals, save alot of money, but lose a year.

I think it is to your advantage to re-apply.

It'd be your decision. I certainly think you wouldn't get any support from your US school, and you sure would be scrutinized very hard for already being in a MD program and jumping ship. Family is one reason to switch, but if its about the money...

To add, thinking about ending up in the US, it has never crossed my mind about trying to get into a Cdn MD program afterwards. Seems like lunacy. Begs the question, why didn't you get into a Cdn med school in the first place?[/QUOTE]

I would imagine it's because most Canadian schools are basically a random lottery, while with American schools you actually have a shot at a fair evaluation.

Doesn't seem like lunacy to me - seems like a smart plan for someone who's determined to practice medicine in Canada despite a flawed application system.

Lettuce, if you aren't ready to absorb the costs of going to the US, then don't bother going. Plain and simple.

I want to bring in another argument: Its a very selfish thing for you to switch. Canada is short on doctors just as the US is. If you would drop out, that's one less doctor produced, as well as one spot that could've been occupied by an American who would've stayed to practice.

Applying to the US is a serious thing. Don't treat it as a joke. They want to graduate 100% of the class they matriculated and put them into the US health care system just as Cdn schools would do for Canada. In interviews they are looking to see whether or not you are willing to stay in the US. You obviously have issues with that, but were able to get by at SLU.

I hate to be a jerk about this, but you shouldn't be bothering with the US with your attitude.

Very possible that the question was misunderstood by Admissions. As for starting from scratch, that is a choice which I would consider.

Keith, it is not up to you to judge my choices in where I decide to go to school. This is my decision and reflects my own goals and motives. Please only respond to what my post is asking. It is a rational and viable choice (irregardless of your opinions) for a person who has the goal of becoming a physician to do it at a cheaper cost while losing a year of work. It is great that you are in the States and achieving your goals, though your goals aren't mine and you may have more resources available to accomplish them than I do.

Moo, I've read that transfer note before. I was unsure of what kind of credit would be received given the nature of the e-mail I received (hence this thread). I will respond with a more concise e-mail and hopefully get a more specific answer. I am with certainty leaning towards your view (though I hope by some luck that you will have to buy me a house in Vancouver!).

EDIT: I don't think it's a waste of time. (1) Because if you don't get accepted to the Canadian school you still have the American school to take you to your goals (2) If you do get accepted you make it to your goals, save alot of money, but lose a year.

I think it is to your advantage to re-apply.

Let's say theoretically you can do this but you will lose that one year you studied at a US school. You will lose 40K in tuition. You will start again at a Canadian school. You will lose a whole year of income (my first year out in practice... was A LOT, way over 150k, even as a family doc). Moreoever, in Canada, I didn't have to pay a single cent in tax my first year in practice because of all the tuition credits I amassed (saving me about 100K). In the long run, the extra tuition over four years in the US is not that much. (Using your plan, if you quit after first year, you will have paid 40K + 20K x 4 = 120K in tuition, versus 160K in tuition in the US. 40K in the long run is NOTHING. Of course there are living expenses, etc. but you have to live anywhere and cost of living is generally more expensive in Canada... unless you choose to live at home.)

I think if you ever start med school in the US (or Canada) you will realize that repeating first year for the sake of tuition and being at home are not worth it. First two years are mentally draining and exhausting and I would not for the life of my want to repeat it, even if it meant being at home. Your chances of matching back in Canada are not that difficult, unless you are going for super competitive things, in which case it would be just as difficult for a Cdn grad.

Lettuce, if you aren't ready to absorb the costs of going to the US, then don't bother going. Plain and simple.

I want to bring in another argument: Its a very selfish thing for you to switch. Canada is short on doctors just as the US is. If you would drop out, that's one less doctor produced, as well as one spot that could've been occupied by an American who would've stayed to practice.

Applying to the US is a serious thing. Don't treat it as a joke. They want to graduate 100% of the class they matriculated and put them into the US health care system just as Cdn schools would do for Canada. In interviews they are looking to see whether or not you are willing to stay in the US. You obviously have issues with that, but were able to get by at SLU.

I hate to be a jerk about this, but you shouldn't be bothering with the US with your attitude.

What do you consider my attitude to be? I am a concerned Canadian citizen who is analyzing ways of coming back to Canada to one day practice medicine. There was an option where you could gain credit in the US and save some time and money in Canada (not true it turns out), there is an option where you could lose a year in the US but save some money in Canada, there is an option where you could stick it out in the States and try to match in Canada, and there is an option where you can become an MD in the States and then get certified to practice in Canada. Each has advantages and disadvantages which I think can be validly argued for based on your motives and personal choices.

There are many people on this board who have the intention of coming back to Canada to practice. Would this also be selfish? Or would this be generous to Canadians? Would this be a poor "attitude" and a disservice to the American medical school that you attended? The country in which you want to end up living in is not controlled by your choice of medical schools. My interviewer actually brought up the fact that I could come back to Canada to practice (and even insisted that it was common).

I'm not treating my education as a joke. I would think that posting here would mean that I was taking my education more seriously and exploring my options by getting advice and insight from other med-students. Because by your own admission you are being a jerk, you probably are not out to help me decide. I have not even revealed my position to you, you are assuming based on my presenting of this option.

Moo, I think the savings would actually be more (on the magnitude of 20-30K), though I won't go into details because I am convinced by your view that even if the savings were double you would still hesitate to consider the start from scratch idea. Starting from scratch would definitely be a huge drain, I agree. This thread is actually kind of dead given that these types of applicants would not receive Advanced Standing (Misunderstanding on the person who responded to my e-mail at UBC).

Guest viscous

I know one girl who is in her first year at a US school but got interview at one Ontario school. she did not mention on her OMSAS app that she is going to be attending a med school in the time ensuing from OMSAS submission to interview invitation and possible acceptance. pretty deceptive, but people do it all the time.

I know one girl who is in her first year at a US school but got interview at one Ontario school. she did not mention on her OMSAS app that she is going to be attending a med school in the time ensuing from OMSAS submission to interview invitation and possible acceptance. pretty deceptive, but people do it all the time.

IMO, that is just shameful. If her heart was set on Canadian schools the whole time, she should have stayed in undergrad and pursued a masters degree, or something. By taking up a seat in that american school, she took away a spot from a student who truly had ambitions of going there.

And don't throw the 'i dont blame her, the tuition in the states is crazy' - She shouldn't have applied in the first place if this was a major concern

There are many people on this board who have the intention of coming back to Canada to practice. Would this also be selfish? Or would this be generous to Canadians? Would this be a poor "attitude" and a disservice to the American medical school that you attended? The country in which you want to end up living in is not controlled by your choice of medical schools. My interviewer actually brought up the fact that I could come back to Canada to practice (and even insisted that it was common).

I thinik what you are proposing is actually taking away a spot for another student who could have been a physician too. Your spot that you are going to give up could've went to someone who gets training and become a doctor irregardless of whether if he/she practices in Canada or the US

I thinik what you are proposing is actually taking away a spot for another student who could have been a physician too. Your spot that you are going to give up could've went to someone who gets training and become a doctor irregardless of whether if he/she practices in Canada or the US

Also, if I'm not mistaken, US schools get funding based on the number of students they have. If that's the case, you drop out of SLU and they not only have an empty spot for 3 years, but they lose some funding. Not at all the same as studying for 4 years in the US and coming back to Canada. OP, your interviewer might have had no problem with students coming back to Canada after getting their MD degree, but I'm pretty sure he would have been appalled at the idea of dropping out after 1st year and leaving an empty seat at his school. $0.02.

If you're set on working in Canada so much so that you want to transfer back after a year in the US it really makes more sense to focus on applying to Canadian schools next year and take the next 6 months to improve your application. Plus it is really unfair to the American school if you leave after a year, and it is unlikely that you'll be able to transfer anyway, so there is a good possibility that you'll get stuck somewhere that you do not want to be while spending alot of money. Also, consider that Calgary and Mac have 3 year programs, so you can fly through if you get accepted to one of those next year. I've known lots of people who are accepted to Canadian schools after a few attempts, so it's very possible. Plus if you've been accepted in the US you obviously have a solid application, so I'm guessing you'd have a good chance in Canada for coming cycles. In any event, good luck

Archived