Premed 101 Forums

NSERC USRA 4b students no longer Eligible this year

DOC_Ma

I got the NSERC from my school like a month ago, but today my supervisor said that NSERC USRA changed their policy so 4b students this year no longer get USRA :eek: Anyone else got this thing?

does 4b mean last semester of last year?

if so, excellent....

does 4b mean last semester of last year?

if so, excellent....

yes it does. Its not excellent for me :( . Dunno why they changed the policy this year but oh well my supervisor will pay me instead. What a bummer to not have the award for this stupid reason.

I'm actually in the same boat. I have yet to hear about this document but I suppose if it's true I will soon.

I didn't really want to work for four months so that's why I'm saying excellent (my sups we're planning to pay me for two if I didn't get a usra).

http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/UG-PC/USRA-BRPC_eng.asp

don't see much here that shows that.

you could (or your sup) always say you're working on a second ug degree to start in sept and just dont....

Oh ya true. I went on to the NSERC website as well nothing mentioned about 4th year students not being eligible. I dunno what's going on.

do you mean that you can't get an NSERC USRA for the summer after you finish your UG degree?

Because I most certainly have one, and I most certainly am finishing UG in april

Yep that's what I meant. Well I got the email and everything from my school saying that I have gotten the award. However, yesterday my supervisor said he got an email from NSERC saying that they no longer give to 4th year students thats finishing this April. My supervisor said it's all 4th year students but i dunno, seems like I am the only one so far :mad:

Maybe the email meant to say that 4th year students wouldn't be eligible starting next year. It doesn't make sense for them to say you got the award then all of a sudden change their policy so that you're not even eligible. That seems a bit insane even for NSERC. :)

i wouldn't be surprised by them this year, to be honest. I've gotten burned by them once already

Sorry for the confusion guys. case closed!

Full story: Prof called me to his office and said I didn't get the NSERC USRA this summer yesterday. I went to the undergrad office for science students today (so did my prof) and we both found out that this year for the biology department, the graduate office no longer pays the 1500 of the 6000 that they used to pay so they asked coop to pay for it. However coop doesn't cover 4B students as a result, some idiot from the coop office started sending out "rejection" letters to the supervisors of 4B biology students. So we all still have NSERC and it's just all bureaucratic stuff and school has to figure out who will be paying for the 1500 dollars for the students in the biology department. Sorry for the false alarm, people can rest in peace now.

Archived