Premed 101 Forums

I need to switch. I just need to.

I'll begin with a big congratulations to those who matched well, and an equally big offer of condolences to those that didn't. I was one of the latter last year, and it sucks.

Seeing people I know get closer to their career goals, while I'm veering off in another direction, makes me feel like a bigger loser even more than last year.. I second rounded into a program entirely for the funding and for a job. I never had any intention of staying unless I fell in love with the program, and I didn't.

I don't know how to switch. I know it's tough. I know that it probably won't happen because I suck. But I need to try because I really don't want to continue on my current course. I also know that I'll never in a million years get into what I wanted to do in the first round last year(though really I still want to do it), so that's gone forever. I'm gonna do something else, and make it my own god-damn decision to do it.

I've already spoken to the post-graduate medical education dean at my school, who told me that the most important thing is to come up with a good reason as to why I want to switch, and talk to the program directors of other fields. I have lots of reasons, but all of them are cynical and won't make me any friends. Gems such as:

1. I don't want to be in my current program. I'm not interested in the subject matter. If anything, it annoys me.

2. I want a secure career that's far from primary care.

3. I want to be paid well.

4. I want to have a job that is interesting and intellectually stimulating above all else.

5. I want to have time to live life when I'm finished residency. I don't want to be a slave for the rest of my life.

6. Being forced into this field angers me and I cannot have pride in a job I never wanted to do in the first place. I hate not being in control of my fate. And before you say " Nobody forced you to enter the second round", I'll say "yeah, I should have just not entered it, and forget everything I learned in medical school so that on the off-chance that I did match the next year I'd have no knowledge base, on top of which I'd have no real way to pay off my debt. Good idea, Sherlock"

...and so on and so forth. I really can't come up with anything that isn't fueled by rampant cynicism.

I'm not a bad resident. So far I've been a great resident if the paperwork means anything. But in medical school I was probably a loser student, considering I received less interviews than you could count on one hand and couldn't even match in the first round.

So, how do I go about this? Do I tell my current program director or wait until I have something set up? Do I keep trying and trying after every likely successive yearly failure? Do I stoop to a return of service(slavery) contract? What do I do? I am confused and I'm miserable. I don't know who to talk to or what to say. I need advice. Please help me. I'm desperate.

I also wish someone could tell me what's wrong with me and my curriculum vitae so that I could fix it and have a better shot actually attaining my career goals. I don't know where I went wrong.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about your predicament. It sounds like a frustrating situation for you. Your PGME office's advice sounds reasonable - I would focus on telling other program directors why you are interested in their field, and #1 and #4 sound like reasons you could use. Were there any off-service rotations that you enjoyed and made some contacts in?

Sorry to hear about your predicament. It sounds like a frustrating situation for you. Your PGME office's advice sounds reasonable - I would focus on telling other program directors why you are interested in their field, and #1 and #4 sound like reasons you could use. Were there any off-service rotations that you enjoyed and made some contacts in?

Hey. Thanks for replying.

I'm a really weird person. I don't have a lot in common with mostly anyone. That's not to say that I'm unfriendly or have Asperger's syndrome. I just have odd interests that most people don't have, and I cannot for the life of me fake wanting to get to know someone just so that I can use them later. If I do, it comes across as totally not genuine and then I'm even worse off.

I met a few more senior residents along the way who I got along with, and a few staff too. Thing is, they're not in fields that I would consider for a career. Come to think of it, very little in my first year is. But I still did well based on their evals of me, and I think they'd stick up for me if I needed them. Of the rotations that I did that I enjoyed, I didn't really get to know any of the staff. I did well in these rotations, don't get me wrong, but I'm sure I'm anonymous to the people in the field. Plus, lots of people like these fields, since they tend to be more competitive and have better post-residency prospects. I'd be mid to lower tier among the residents going for these fields.

Who could I talk to about my bad cv and weird personality and how to fix them?

Hi,

I matched to something that I am not interested in. My ultimate goal was to avoid going unmatched ... and that I did. However, I am the first to admit that I am not happy with the results. In retrospect, I wonder whether it would have been better to go unmatched.

Regarding your interests - I think you have to make a choice. My experiences in medical school (and in my working life prior to medical school) show that staff and colleagues like people to whom they can relate. One option is to take up one "interest" that is universally acceptable. Hockey, music, etc. Look at "learning" this field as a career investment. On the flip side, I think it is reasonable to say, "I am who I am, and people will just have to deal with that." If you go the second route, you have to recognize that it comes with a possible price.

In terms of personality, there are career coaches in the world outside of medicine that specialize in helping people to develop "networking" skills. You may want to consider consulting one ... the principles of networking vary a little from field to field (i.e. marketing versus medicine) but the basics are the same.

I hope that helps. It truly sounds like you are miserable and I think it sounds like you did what you had to do ... I agree with you that it is unreasonable for colleagues and faculty to assume it is financially viable to take time off to strengthen an application and so on.

All the best,

Hawkeye

You can get a personality coach as some have suggested but assuming you are mid 20s and up I think it will be hard to change your personality at this point. It would take time (maybe a lifetime) to make significant changes, learn bball, hockey etc., so these things still won't help you switch out anytime soon, AND even if you were to change overnight, the fact is you may just be plain unqualified for the fields you want.

You mentioned possibility of ROS contract. Is this option open to you? If so, my thought would be to look into it and determine how hard it would be to break later on. Maybe it will be worth it to buy your way out. Honoring the commitment might not be so bad either, check out the old show Northern Exposure :).

I'd suggest you take a more positive approach. Focus on the positive aspects of the programs you want to switch in to rather than your loathing for the current field.

People get scared when you are negative about a program- who knows what you'll say about them if you aren't 100% satisfied? I think you should approach the new program something along the lines of:

"I didn't get what I wanted in the first round and thought that this was the best option available to me in the second. I really tried to give it a shot, but I realized that this just isn't the right career for me.

I think specialty X,Y or Z would be a better fit for me because I like this, that or the other about it."

With respect to telling your current program director, be very careful about that. They may appreciate your honesty, but on the other hand you don't want to be judged for the remainder of your program if you are unable to switch. You may want to talk to a post-graduate adviser or dean to get advice on what students in your situation have done in the past/ who they've told, etc...

Best of luck!

Maybe a good idea is to remember that you are doctor and that in itself makes you a lucky person. There are pre-meds out there that have applied 6-10 times just for the chance to be in med school. You say you're not going to make good money but you'll make more than most in this country. You say you don't want to be in primary care but all of the primary care specialities (FM, ER, IM) all have subspecialities - have you thought about finding a niche?

I hate to sound like a jerk to someone who is self-loathing but if you're in like FM and really wanted something like Rad/Path/Derm/Plastics - the number of spots in those specialities are limited based on the job market. We don't need 10 new plastic surgeons in BC in a year (for example). So even if you did get your wish, how do you think you'll compete for jobs with those who matched 1st round (i.e. they were chosen by the established staff in that field)

I am lucky because I got my first match but I mentally prepared myself to go both unmatched, or matched really low on my list. I did so by looking at my friends outside of med - who are struggling to make rent and pay for car bills with a job that will never pay 6 figures and I think that I am one lucky SOB.

It's tough to be stuck in a job you hate and I hope that some of us may have some ideas that can help, at least a little.

I also know that I'll never in a million years get into what I wanted to do in the first round last year(though really I still want to do it), so that's gone forever. I'm gonna do something else, and make it my own god-damn decision to do it.

This is critical. You NEED to know what you want to do next. You can't have your #1 choice, and that's a tough pill to swallow, but what's vital is knowing what your #2 is. The worst thing that you could do is leapfrog blindly from one specialty to another.

You sound a little bit burnt out, and I think that's a pretty common ailment at the end of PGY-1. Try to make sure you're not too tired/frustrated to make a good decision. This may not be possible. But do ask yourself whether your decisions are being unduly influenced by temporary exhaustion/stress (yes, residency is temporary, no matter how it feels right now!)

At my school, it seems that most switches occur within the school (rather than between schools). My suggestion is to keep your ear to the ground - IMO your best chance for a switch is learning about an vacancy through the grapevine.

Sorry to hear about your plight. Life definitely doesn't always work the way we want it to, but if you are passionate about medicine for the right reasons, there has to be something in almost every specialty that will appeal to you. For a lot of people, they would probably are working because of a financial need and not because they love their job- just see your career as a way to enable you to do what you want to do.

Anyways there's a recent article on SDN about switching residencies too:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/2010/03/switching-specialties/

Can you PM the program you matched in? your words are serious and I would like to know what discipline youre in

What discipline I am in is irrelevant. It's not the program itself that I am disappointed with. If anything, its a very good supportive program and I have no negative things to say about it. It's just that the field itself not mesh with my personal career interests.

People get scared when you are negative about a program- who knows what you'll say about them if you aren't 100% satisfied? I think you should approach the new program something along the lines of:

"I didn't get what I wanted in the first round and thought that this was the best option available to me in the second. I really tried to give it a shot, but I realized that this just isn't the right career for me.

I think specialty X,Y or Z would be a better fit for me because I like this, that or the other about it."

This is really good advice. I'll think about how I can word my reasons more positively. You're right, nobody wants to be around a downer or complainer.

Again, its not the program that is the problem. It's a good program. It just doesn't fit with my interests and goals for the future.

Maybe a good idea is to remember that you are doctor and that in itself makes you a lucky person. There are pre-meds out there that have applied 6-10 times just for the chance to be in med school. You say you're not going to make good money but you'll make more than most in this country. You say you don't want to be in primary care but all of the primary care specialities (FM, ER, IM) all have subspecialities - have you thought about finding a niche?

I hate to sound like a jerk to someone who is self-loathing but if you're in like FM and really wanted something like Rad/Path/Derm/Plastics - the number of spots in those specialities are limited based on the job market. We don't need 10 new plastic surgeons in BC in a year (for example). So even if you did get your wish, how do you think you'll compete for jobs with those who matched 1st round (i.e. they were chosen by the established staff in that field)

I am lucky because I got my first match but I mentally prepared myself to go both unmatched, or matched really low on my list. I did so by looking at my friends outside of med - who are struggling to make rent and pay for car bills with a job that will never pay 6 figures and I think that I am one lucky SOB.

Thanks for the sermon, but it was really rude and unnecessary. I know that I'm "lucky" and that I should be thankful etc. But if you knew that there was an opportunity out there for you to switch from something you don't particularly enjoy doing into something that you do, wouldn't you take it?

And its not about me making good money or not, so your reply is way off the mark. I will make good money in this field if I stick with it - if I am smart about it i'd probably make more than you. Its just not the right field for me. If you managed a high score on the VR part of the MCAT, surely it was a fluke.

As for the whole carms contract BS that a few people like to parrot over and over again as if its the one and only gospel that exists, my answer is that if I had known that getting what I wanted would be impossible, I would never have done medical school at all. By the time I realized this it was too late. By all means, if you wanted to pay off my debt for me I'd not have gone into the second round. You should have said sooner.

If anything, turknjd, I'd say you take pleasure in other people's hardship, because what you typed was of no real value to anyone. You're a bully.

To anyone else who wants to be preachy, please keep it to yourself. I know that I screwed up. I know that I made bad decisions. I know that among the medical school types I'm a total loser who cant' even get where I want to go. I realize this. I see the problem.

I want to know how I stop being a loser, and start gaining control of my life.

This is critical. You NEED to know what you want to do next. You can't have your #1 choice, and that's a tough pill to swallow, but what's vital is knowing what your #2 is. The worst thing that you could do is leapfrog blindly from one specialty to another.

You sound a little bit burnt out, and I think that's a pretty common ailment at the end of PGY-1. Try to make sure you're not too tired/frustrated to make a good decision. This may not be possible. But do ask yourself whether your decisions are being unduly influenced by temporary exhaustion/stress (yes, residency is temporary, no matter how it feels right now!)

Yeah, I'll never have number one. I accept that. It sucks. I'll never live it down. But its the way it is. What I don't accept is that what I'm doing isn't even number 2 or 3. It's so down on the list I don't even know why I'm doing it.

I knew I would want to leave this program the first day I started residency, but I wanted to give it a fair chance just in case it was actually something I could see myself doing for a career. After doing it a few months ago, I realized it is not. Now I need to find a way out of it and into something I would be fulfilled in doing. I would not say that its burn out.

Does anyone have any advice about what I specifically would have to do to switch into another program, either within my school or province, or even outside the province. I want to know these details before I start making my moves.

Hello,

I was in a similar boat this year so I understand how you feel. My goal going into the match was to not go unmatched, so I ranked everything (but of course, made sure I wanted to do it.

However, after 6 months of residency, I realized the specialty I matched to wasn't for me and applied to transfer in January. Luckily, I got my first choice from last year (and I was able to go from something less to more competitive).

Anyhow, just wanted to mention that it may still be possible to get what you really want...so don't give up! Here are the steps (and it probably differs from school to school).

To me, the first step is actually approaching the program director of the program you want to go into FIRST, ask them if it is even possible to transfer and have good reasons why you want that specialty because I am sure the will ask. If you know there is a possibility....THEN:

1. Email the Transfer Chair (there should be one in your school too)... who will set up a meeting with you to discuss why you want to transfer and what you want to transfer in.

2. Transfer Chair will send letter to the program director of the program you want to go into.

3. Program director of that program will contact you to set up an interview or something like that after which they will decide if they want to take you or not (which they most likely should since you already talked to them!)

4. If they do want to accept you, they will let your PGME office know, and then contact your current home program PD so they can release you.

5. If they release you, the PGME office will contact you to ask if you still want to make the switch...

6. You sign the NEW letter of engagement and you're transferred!

Of course, not all schools are like this, so definitely find out what your transfer policy is for your school at your PGME office. But have at least one or two other specialties in mind that you know that you would also love doing because you and I both know, first choices may not always work out for everyone.

Hope this helps!

LM

You say you don't want to be in primary care but all of the primary care specialities (FM, ER, IM) all have subspecialities - have you thought about finding a niche?

This is good advice, too. Guessing you're in a primary care specialty, there is lots of opportunity to tailor it to what you want it to be.

For example, I've met FPs working in smaller communities who parlayed their talents in specific directions. There was the FP who was the surgical assist, got to first-assist with vascular surgery, general surgery, gyne, what have you. In the rest of his practice, he focused on surgery: vasectomies, bone marrow sampling, excisions, etc.

Another one tailored her practice almost exclusively to psych, and another became the local expert in endocrinology, and put together a whole practice full of diabetics.

in case you're not able to switch, maybe you can approximate your practice to what you wanted to do in the first place. An ER PGY-3 would put an FP in good standing to do Emergency Medicine, which would pretty much meet all of the criteria on your list (shift work, good money, interesting, job security). Are you a would-be ENT or plastics? FP-gen surg. There's FP-anesthesia, too. Etc. etc.

One more possibility: most provinces have a re-training program for FPs (assuming you're in a FP program). Practicing FPs are sponsored to re-train in a field that interests them. Usually there is a ROS attached, but it doesn't seem onerous. Yes, you'd have to finish your primary specialty (but if you're FP you only have one more year to go anyway), and you would potentially be able to get your #1 after all.

This is the Queen's link for that program.

. . . Thanks for the sermon, but it was really rude and unnecessary . . .

You post on a message board, asking for advice and when given it, criticize those who took the time to try to help you.

. . . If you managed a high score on the VR part of the MCAT, surely it was a fluke . . .

I am getting a vibe here that may have some relevance as to why you didn't match as you wished, and why when you say "I'm a really weird person. I don't have a lot in common with mostly anyone. That's not to say that I'm unfriendly or have Asperger's syndrome. I just have odd interests that most people don't have", you are BS'ing us and maybe even yourself. Your problem seems to be due more to your hostile attitude than not having stuff in common with others.

. . . If anything, turknjd, I'd say you take pleasure in other people's hardship, because what you typed was of no real value to anyone. You're a bully . . .
Yup. I was right. You try to come across as aggrieved and misunderstood but the truth of the matter is you act like a prick.

. . . I want to know how I stop being a loser, and start gaining control of my life . . .
On the off chance that you're sincere, you may want to start by re-examining your responses in this thread to people who took the time to try to help you. Instead of calling them bullies, you might have thanked them for their efforts but agree to disagree, or simply ignored them. The fact that you chose to bite the hand of those who were trying to 'feed' you speaks volumes and probably goes a long way to explaining why you didn't match. As people have said in other thread, the type of things that people are looking for when they select someone to enter their program is "could they work with them", "will they get along with them", and "will this person be high maintenance". Look at your posts here and then guess how people might have answered those questions in your case.

You post on a message board, asking for advice and when given it, criticize those who took the time to try to help you.

I am getting a vibe here that may have some relevance as to why you didn't match as you wished, and why when you say "I'm a really weird person. I don't have a lot in common with mostly anyone. That's not to say that I'm unfriendly or have Asperger's syndrome. I just have odd interests that most people don't have", you are BS'ing us and maybe even yourself. Your problem seems to be due more to your hostile attitude than not having stuff in common with others.

Yup. I was right. You try to come across as aggrieved and misunderstood but the truth of the matter is you act like a prick.

On the off chance that you're sincere, you may want to start by re-examining your responses in this thread to people who took the time to try to help you. Instead of calling them bullies, you might have thanked them for their efforts but agree to disagree, or simply ignored them. The fact that you chose to bite the hand of those who were trying to 'feed' you speaks volumes and probably goes a long way to explaining why you didn't match. As people have said in other thread, the type of things that people are looking for when they select someone to enter their program is "could they work with them", "will they get along with them", and "will this person be high maintenance". Look at your posts here and then guess how people might have answered those questions in your case.

Come on now. I come to the message board asking for advice, and some people instead would rather give me a rude, sternly parental, lecture reminding me how I got myself into this mess in the first place. Of course I'd be insulted by that. Wouldn't you? I don't consider retaliating being a prick. I consider it standing up for myself. To quote that rude poster, "We are all adults" - I don't appreciate being spoken to like a child.

Hello,

I was in a similar boat this year so I understand how you feel. My goal going into the match was to not go unmatched, so I ranked everything (but of course, made sure I wanted to do it.

However, after 6 months of residency, I realized the specialty I matched to wasn't for me and applied to transfer in January. Luckily, I got my first choice from last year (and I was able to go from something less to more competitive).

Anyhow, just wanted to mention that it may still be possible to get what you really want...so don't give up! Here are the steps (and it probably differs from school to school).

To me, the first step is actually approaching the program director of the program you want to go into FIRST, ask them if it is even possible to transfer and have good reasons why you want that specialty because I am sure the will ask. If you know there is a possibility....THEN:

1. Email the Transfer Chair (there should be one in your school too)... who will set up a meeting with you to discuss why you want to transfer and what you want to transfer in.

2. Transfer Chair will send letter to the program director of the program you want to go into.

3. Program director of that program will contact you to set up an interview or something like that after which they will decide if they want to take you or not (which they most likely should since you already talked to them!)

4. If they do want to accept you, they will let your PGME office know, and then contact your current home program PD so they can release you.

5. If they release you, the PGME office will contact you to ask if you still want to make the switch...

6. You sign the NEW letter of engagement and you're transferred!

Of course, not all schools are like this, so definitely find out what your transfer policy is for your school at your PGME office. But have at least one or two other specialties in mind that you know that you would also love doing because you and I both know, first choices may not always work out for everyone.

Hope this helps!

LM

This is very enlightening. Thanks for the advice. It sounds pretty complicated.

Are there advisors within your faculty's office of student affairs that you can approach for counselling? I've known some who are good student advocates and will give candid advice on your situation.

That's a great idea. So the office of student affairs for most schools also helps residents? I'll check it out.

Do I tell my current program director or wait until I have something set up?

Just skimming the thread, but conventional wisdom seems to be that your current program director should be the *last* person who knows about you wanting to switch out.

Dunno, I'm happy where I am so haven't really investigated further. Can send you the generic guidelines that U of T sent to all the PGY-1s, if you're interested.

Come on now. I come to the message board asking for advice, and some people instead would rather give me a rude, sternly parental, lecture reminding me how I got myself into this mess in the first place. Of course I'd be insulted by that. Wouldn't you? I don't consider retaliating being a prick. I consider it standing up for myself. To quote that rude poster, "We are all adults" - I don't appreciate being spoken to like a child.

Internist is right, you're just being a b1tch. No wonder you didn't get matched where you wanted to.

It was meant to be insulting. Somebody had to say it, after all, you deserve it. What else did you expect after posting in an online forum asking for help, then getting pissed off at people that provided you with advice. Karma.

Stick with primary care. Better to have a useless prick GP than a slightly less useless, slightly less prick-y specialist who never got his first choice.

This resident ("obamasutra") is clearly unhappy. We all know the CaRMS machine can be cruel. It is not uncommon for residents to switch residency programs (including those who get their #1 rank), since people often don't realize what they are getting themselves in to (be it specialty or location).

Think back to your CaRMS talks. I know that at my school, we were all pressured to 'back up' to improve our chances of matching, but what people don't always realize is that what they backed up with isn't something they'd actually be happy in, but more just something they thought they had a high chance of getting if the first choice didn't work out.

With respect to criticism of someone who isn't happy when there are people dying to get into medical school, most people don't know what they are getting themselves into before medical school. I'm lucky I got what I wanted to do, but if I ended up in something like family medicine or internal medicine, I'd wonder if I'd have been better off in another career path (i.e. not medicine). This isn't meant to trash FM or IM, but they really just wouldn't suit me or my interests (I'm sure many family doctors and internests would hate to do what I'll be doing, and that's why they do what they do).

I totally get the value of constructive criticism, but many of the comments directed at the original poster are full-out mean. I really hope none of you treat your patients the way you're treating "obamasutra."

If you have something to say that will help "obamasutra" out of the mess that they are in, post your suggestions, but ad hominem attacks are unnecessary.

Apologies for my rant, but I just don't like seeing someone kicked while they are down.

"obamasutra" is the kind of person I see in the future getting into trouble with the college of physicians because he lacks communication skills, is self centred, feels he is beyond criticism other than from himself & is arrogant.The world would be a better place if he never becomes a practicing Doc-- May be OK for pathology or research but should not treat real people.

It was meant to be insulting. Somebody had to say it, after all, you deserve it. What else did you expect after posting in an online forum asking for help, then getting pissed off at people that provided you with advice. Karma.

Stick with primary care. Better to have a useless prick GP than a slightly less useless, slightly less prick-y specialist who never got his first choice.

Spewing these insults accomplished two things: You've insulted every GP in the country, and you've illustrated that you're more of a "prick" than I could ever loathe to be.

"obamasutra" is the kind of person I see in the future getting into trouble with the college of physicians because he lacks communication skills, is self centred, feels he is beyond criticism other than from himself & is arrogant.The world would be a better place if he never becomes a practicing Doc-- May be OK for pathology or research but should not treat real people.

How can you infer my ability to communicate from these forums? I don't like being insulted, so I retaliate. I don't see how that makes me a worse person than you or anyone else. Maybe you've been in medicine so long that you've grown accustomed to being someone's lapdog?

The fact that some of these posters(you included) don't realize that they, or others, are being insulting illustrates how lacking in tact and basic human interaction they are. Newsflash: being outright critical to someone you do not know, and who did not ask for criticism, is rude. If you can't realize this, you're beyond help.

This resident ("obamasutra") is clearly unhappy. We all know the CaRMS machine can be cruel. It is not uncommon for residents to switch residency programs (including those who get their #1 rank), since people often don't realize what they are getting themselves in to (be it specialty or location).

Think back to your CaRMS talks. I know that at my school, we were all pressured to 'back up' to improve our chances of matching, but what people don't always realize is that what they backed up with isn't something they'd actually be happy in, but more just something they thought they had a high chance of getting if the first choice didn't work out.

With respect to criticism of someone who isn't happy when there are people dying to get into medical school, most people don't know what they are getting themselves into before medical school. I'm lucky I got what I wanted to do, but if I ended up in something like family medicine or internal medicine, I'd wonder if I'd have been better off in another career path (i.e. not medicine). This isn't meant to trash FM or IM, but they really just wouldn't suit me or my interests (I'm sure many family doctors and internests would hate to do what I'll be doing, and that's why they do what they do).

I totally get the value of constructive criticism, but many of the comments directed at the original poster are full-out mean. I really hope none of you treat your patients the way you're treating "obamasutra."

If you have something to say that will help "obamasutra" out of the mess that they are in, post your suggestions, but ad hominem attacks are unnecessary.

Apologies for my rant, but I just don't like seeing someone kicked while they are down.

Thanks. I appreciate that.

I don't understand why people have to blame me for screwing up. I already know I screwed up. I'm looking for help in how to fix it. Nothing this trivial can't be fixed.

To everyone: if you have some urge to lay out "constructive criticism", please remember the "constructive" part. Offer potential solutions.

Archived