Premed 101 Forums

PDA's

Guest 1984MD

Guest 1984MD

I was wondering if a PDA is needed for the clinical part of med school? What kind of PDA is required and how much do people usually spend on one? Does McGill med arrange for some sort of a deal on the price for students? The reason I'm asking is that I'm wondering if its worth getting a less expensive laptop and saving for a really high tech PDA next year ? thanks

Guest medicator007

It is by NO means required for clerkship, though I did notice that the faculty now suggests that students purchase one. While the majority of people in our class did get PDAs prior to the clinical component, I know of a few that did not as well as others who bought one and for a variety of reasons didn't use it... ALL graduated this past week just fine.

If you are going to get one, you need to keep in mind what your needs are. Personally I use mine mostly for scheduling and as a reference source... so I hve the old Tungsten E with a 256 Mb memory card that is MORE than adequate for my needs. All told about $200 at the time... likely MUCH cheaper now. For clinical purposes you really don't need a lot of the other functions, like wi-fi, cameras...etc.... but that decision depends on your personal preferences and how much of a tech 8o you are.

The faculty did not make any arrangements for my class, but our class reps made a deal with a local supplier and we got a reasonable deal for the base models at the time. I am sure that subsequent classes would have made the same arrangements, but I don't know for sure.

Hope that helps,

Medicator

Archived