Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted -- As requested

Guest medicator007

Guest medicator007

In anticipation of the release of results for the In-Province cohort, here is a simple survey topic as was requested in another thread. If you so desire please feel out as many of the survey questions as you desire, and leave all other comments/discussions to another thread.

Thanks and Best of Luck to you all.

Medicator

I'm a (fill in province) resident completing my (blank) degree in (blank). My CGPA was (X.X) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (x)

Verbal: (y)

Biological Sciences: (z)

Written Sample: (z)

Extracurricular activitives: (be brief)

I was (accepted/rejected/waitlisted/deferred) by McGill.This is my (first/second/third/more than third) time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend (XYZ Med School) as my first choice.

Guest trustwomen

I'm a Quebec resident completing my specialization degree in biology. My CGPA was 3.74 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 12

Verbal: 13

Biological Sciences: 10

Written Sample: S

Extracurricular activities: I've worked in a homeless shelter for the past three years, incl. two years working nights alone. Worked for three years as a counselor & medical assistant in a women's health clinic. Ran a national (U.S.) health-related hotline for a year. Currently on the board of ARCC, a national pro-choice organization. In 2001, founded a volunteer network in NYC that is still active today (was written up in the Village Voice and Salon). Have been actively volunteering in various other capacities for about 12 years. Designed and conducted a sociological study in 2002, currently seeking publication. (Sorry, this is as brief as I can make it).

I was accepted by McGill.This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend McGill as my first choice.

Guest 1985SS

I'm a Quebec resident completing my Bsc (honors) degree in Biochem. My CGPA was 3.7 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 11

Verbal: 10

Biological Sciences: 14

Written Sample: R

Extracurricular activitives:

- President or on the execs of various clubs

- tutor for at risk kids

- Volunteer in diff. hospitals for 3-4 years

- Volunteer in non-hospital programs (ex. camps for children who are physically disabled, nutrionist for elderly)

- Initiate programs in Campus (like support groups)

- TA for couple of courses

- Some research experience, publication on the way

I was accepted by McGill.This is my first time applying to med schools.

Guest DimitriTheDr

I'm a Quebec resident completing my honours degree in Biochem. My CGPA was 3.85 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 13

Biological Sciences: 13

Written Sample: P

Extracurricular activitives: Volunteered at hospital for a year. Worked 20h per week during my undergrad.

(sorry Trustwomen....i clearly copy/pasted your post)

Guest 1984MD

I'm a In Province resident completing my B.Sc. Honours degree in Immunology at McGill. My CGPA was 3.90 and my MCAT scores were:

Verbal: 7

Biological Sciences: 12

-Elected Executive of Student Society/Government at McGill

-Volunteered for many many years at my church/local community

-Hospital Volunteer and Saint John Ambulance

-Teaching Assistant

-Laboratory Work and scholarships (NSERC, FRSQ) and publication on the way

-Executive on student clubs at McGill

-Blood Drive Coordinator

-student rep on faculty committees

-plus many others....

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend MCGILL (!!!!) as my first choice.

I applied to all the Ontario schools as well as the other medical schools in Quebec. I was rejected pre-interview at all the Ontario schools but granted interviews/TAAMUS exam for the Quebec French Medical schools. I will be declining all offers of admissions from the French schools.

I'm so excited to meet all of you next year and to be part of the class of 2010!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest ilitvino

I enjoyed reading the stats of everyone accepted. This is shaping up to be a great class!

I am a proud resident of Quebec. Degrees:

1999 University of Kentucky -- B.S. in Biology

2000 University of Kentucky -- B.A. in Chemistry

GPA: 3.85, Dept. Honors, Summa Cum Laude

Phi Beta Kappa

2006 The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine --Ph.D. in

Cellular and Molecular Medicine

MCAT: 37

Biological Sciences: 14

- VP of the student government at Hopkins Med.

- TAed many courses in undergrad and grad, including med school courses

- EMT-certified, worked as an anesthesiology assistant in KY

I was accepted to McGill via early decision and immediately withdrawn applications from all other schools (UT, Queens, Ottawa, UWO and UBC). McGill is my first choice. This is my first time applying to medical schools. I look forward to meeting all of you this August! :hat

Guest WhiteTiger

MD2010, could you post more information about your stats if possible? I'm interested because I'll be in the same cGPA boat as you :)

Guest MD2010

Hey Whitetiger,

31 MCAT, 3.64 GPA ....volunteering in hospitals, research experience, etc...I still maintain that the key for Quebec residents is the interviews. If you have approximately a 3.5 and a 30 then chances are you'll get an interview, after that it's a matter of how well you do on the two interviews, and I made sure I was really prepared.

Guest trustwomen

Hey Whitetiger...

If it makes you feel better, my first two degrees had a collective GPA of about 2.5... McGill was the only school which only counted the GPA from my current degree, instead of making one huge lump of them (which is why I was rejected at 9 out of 10 schools this year).

Don't worry, you can get there.

Guest karm37

Hey,

I was waitlisted. My CGPA is 3.73, and my MCATs were:

Physical Sciences: 10

Biological Sciences: 12

My Extracurriculars were:

- executive of CEGEP student society

- participation in/planning of multicultural activities (throughout my life)

- behaviour therapist (2 years)

- exec of clubs in university

- volunteering in hospitals

I'm inclined to agree with the person above who said that the interviews are key. I think I really didn't prepare enough and assumed that I would be fine. Now I know better for next year :)

Guest MD2010

Karm37, I for sure agree that if you prepare for the interviews you will have excellent chances. Your stats are higher than mine. Good luck next year!

Guest McFlown

Hey MD2010,

Congrats! I was wondering if you could give us a run through of your interview: how did you prepare, what kind of questions were asked, and why you thought it went well. Just to give us other kids an idea of how a good interview is...

Thanks!

- MF

Guest MD2010

Hey MF,

I had a feeling the interviews went well simply because I knew what kinds of questions interviewers could ask and the type of answers they would be looking for. I prepared by researching on the internet and bookmarking websites and printing articles that I found pertinent. I made sure to look into bioethics issues and to keep up with bioethics/medical/health issues in the news, like the Schiavo case from last year, and the private/public issues in healthcare for example. It was immensely helpful to search SDN's medical school interview feedback, and go through every question and really think about what I would say if I were asked each question. There are a plethora of possible questions, but after a while, you start to get a feel of what they are looking for (hopefully that's pretty close to who you are anyway!). Interviews can range from being very lax to feeling like you're being grilled. At my McGill interviews, the first one was definitely a griller, and the second one was nicer but still asked tough questions. With the grillers, I find that what they really want to see is that you remain composed no matter what they ask you even if you don't have a perfect answer or the question threw you off a bit. And, in general interviewers want to see that you have a sense of problem-solving, critical thinking, that you are mature, and that you know what you're getting into (know healthcare/medicine/bioethics issues and know about the school and why you want to be there). For the McGill interviews, there is a lot of stress on your essay because that's all that your interviewers see, so you should practice going through your essay and answering general questions for each activity (for example, what did I learn from X? How did I contribute in X?etc). They also ask questions that often require 'life lessons' and life experience to answer, so it is important to reflect and think about interview type questions like, what was the hardest thing you had to do, what are you most proud of, etc. Practice certainly helps, and interviewing at other schools is certainly a plus. I know that most people report relaxed interviews at McGill, but sometimes those are decieving, and secondly, for something like this you want to prepare for anything. I knew that the grillers would keep a straight face no matter how well it was going, and that the 'nice' interviewers would be encouraging no matter what I said. This was my second year interviewing at McGill, so that's four interviewers. Two were grillers, one was nice but asked tough questions (that could be a decieving interview, for example) and one was pretty straight-forward and relaxed. I hope I've answered your questions!

Guest rapoune

That's really interesting MD...

One thing I'm worried about, actually two things that I'm worried about for my application are as follows:

1. I've done hospital volunteering/shadowing, but shadowing was for 10 weeks and hospital volunteering was for a summer (16 hours per week). I've been volunteering at an AIDS community care drop- in center for the past two years. I have this huge fear that perhaps my lack of "hospital" volunteering or volunteering in a hospital setting may seem strange or inadequate to the committee. The truth is that I really enjoyed hospital volunteering, but the AIDS drop in center fit my schedule better and was more flexible. Would I get grilled on this or be accused of not having enough medical experience? To a certain degree, I think everyone does hospital volunteering... I wanted to do something different, something I enjoyed doing and that was flexible.

2. Student government things... are these absolutely necessary? The last thing I did was be on the executive committee for ModelUN at my CEGEP...

J

P.S. Eric, MD's stats seem pretty attainable... I think you have a shot if your interview goes well. Why not try this cycle?

Guest Gavanshir

Hi rapoune. A whole summer of 16/hrs per week is plenty of hospital volunteering. I really don't think they would grill you about that. Plus although the above people have some amazing ECs as well as academics (like..a PhD from John Hopkins!) according to my research, McGill does not put A LOT of focus on your ECs. They want well-rounded applicants with some leadership experience. I would guess that leadership experience is one of the most important things that they look for in your ECs if nothing else. And the student government positions require just that, some leadership skills. Good luck.

Guest medformon

I'm a Quebec resident completing my BsC honors degree in Immunology. My CGPA was 3.87 and my MCAT scores were:

Verbal: 12

Written Sample: s

Extracurricular activitives: On the execs for a lot of clubs, volunteering in 3 different hospitals since high school, TA for the last 2 years, Summer research + honors project, volunteer at an orphanage oversees

See you all in August :D

Guest docofmedicine

I'm a Quebec resident completing my BSc degree in Biology at an American university. My CGPA is 3.9 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 8

Verbal: 8

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: R

Extracurricular activities:

-President/execs of several clubs

-volunteer at a hospital for 4 years

-shadowed physicians for 6 weeks

-2 summers of research, presented at national conf

- other interests: Katrina relief, human rights activism, international students/study abroad, extra French minor

I am waitlisted.This is my first time applying to meds. McGill is my first choice! :)

Guest McFlown

Thanks for sharing your experiences MD2010 it was very helpful!

I know this is kind of a macabre question, but is there anyone here this year who got interviewed and then rejected? This info will be of great help to all of us. Thanks to anyone who may be willing to share this information.

- MF

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stressmess

I'm a Quebec resident completing my BScH in Life Sciences at Queen's. My GPA was 3.85 and my MCAT scores were:

Verbal: 9

- Exec member of life sciences

- Volunteer in diff. hospitals, nursing homes, penetentiaries, physiotherapy clinics, etc

- Some research experience, publication on the way

I was accepted by McGill.This is my first time applying to med schools.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend McGill as my first choice.:D

Archived