Premed 101 Forums

Admitted Students: Questions

Guest MD2010

Guest MD2010

I figured we should start a new topic because we were hijacking the 'stats info sticky thread' to talk amongst the entering class. So, I was wondering if any current McGill students could post about their experiences during the 3 day orientation and the beginning of classes in August? I know I'm jumping the gun here, but I'm curious and really looking forward to it!

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest trustwomen

What I want to know is if I really have to take part in the scavenger hunt! I'm sort of past the "scavenger hunt" phase of life... :\

Guest trustwomen

It's at 3 pm on August 15th. It's right there on the orientation schedule. www.medicine.mcgill.ca/ug...efault.htm

Personally, I'd rather go have a cup of coffee somewhere with other med students, so we can all let out our excitement and joy (a.k.a get over ourselves) together, and I won't have to keep my SO up all night by chattering incessantly.

Guest trustwomen

I'd much rather meet people by chatting over coffee, and/or solving the world's problems over a few (too many) drinks. Scavenger hunts did it for me 10 years ago, but now?.. Besides, check the other thread - we're gonna be meeting up...

Hi,

Again, congrats to all! No one is going to "force" you to participate in any of the frosh activities, though I HIGHLY recommend it...I had a blast during frosh week and participated in all the activities except for the water park (the pub crawl was the night before..hah...)...even though I am older than a lot of the class I still had a great time and it is a great way to meet people... I will admit that the scavenger hunt was a bit cheezy, BUT I did meet my two best friends in the class during it and we just ditched most of it and went for ice cream instead (but doing the whole thing isnt a bad idea either! :-p)...

Also, the new MSS (Medical Students' Society) will most likely set up a yahoo group with the entire class list once it becomes finalized (ie. sometime in July)...it was at that point that someone in my class took the intiative and set up a couple of "pre orientation" meet sessions--although it may seem lame, again, it was a great way to meet people before things get underway...

(though things of course may be different this year and I can only speak from the perspective of my year)

-garp

Guest 1984MD

Where did you find this site? Did they send you an email or you just found it from surfing the net. Ididnt get any emails from the admissions ppl (starting to get nervous thatmaybe they made a mistake and sent me someone else's acceptance!!)

Guest trustwomen

It's on the UGME website, which you link to from the main med page. Surfing the net, don't worry. Though I think someone also referenced it on the interview thread, on page 8 or something.

I only got one email from admissions, just after Minerva changed. The rest was, as they say, "independent research".:)

Guest noncestvrai

If I remember (and I don't), I spent most of my time drinking or doing something involving drinking. I think there were sports too and a scavenger hunt...I was probably home sleeping at that time.

Aroung mid-august I'll be in pediatrics, not sure even if this will be in Mtl (maybe in Val D'Or)...ah well, have fun! Drink responsibly (haha:hat )

noncestvrai

Guest 1984MD

I was wondering how neccesary having a laptop is for medical school. I'm considering asking for one as a graduation gift but I'm not sure if it really is needed. I know there are computer labs for med students and I have an excellent computer at home, but I figured a laptop would be really useful and was wondering if any of the currrent med students can help me out? ON a scale from 1-10, how useful would havint one be? Should I ask for a tablet PC or is that not neccessary? thanks

Hi 1984,

Tough question! I think a lot of that is personal preference...however, I can tell you that only a handful of people in my class bring their laptops to lecture regularly (ie. literally 5 people)...with the set of notes you receive at the beginning of each unit there is really no need...

I do have a laptop but more so to save space on my crowded desk and also because I like to type papers in coffee shops etc...there is the odd resource online but that can always be accessed at home or from a public computer...

hope this helps!

-garp

Guest noncestvrai

You don't need a laptop. My good friend did not even own a computer. There are computers everywhere Mac and at the hosto, in the small group rooms as well.

I got one, but I don't have a desktop...

noncestvrai

Guest MD2010

My brother is having his Bar Mitzvah November 18 in New York, and I was checking out our schedule for next year (:D I'm a big loser I know) and it seems that for Unit 2, classes end Novemeber 16 and the final is November 22. For the current med students, do you think this it is doable for me to be there? I mean, I have to be there. I suppose it's more of a question of whether I should fly in and out for a day, whether it's OK to stay for a couple of days, and how much it can affect that final exam. I would really appreciate the current students' feedback on this. Thank you!!!

Guest noncestvrai

Unit 2 is one of the most important units and the final is one of the toughest exams in first year.

I would go if you were ultra prepared, the thing is that there are some good reviews in anatomy before the exam, some of them being quite high yield...

malzel tov!

noncestvrai

Guest 1985SS

I was wondering how much studying do you do per day (approx.) in the first year. Just wanted to see how different med life is from undergrad.

Guest McGill Angel

Does anyone know if we will receiving an actual official acceptance letter (and not just the one from the email pdf attachment)? I wanted to set up a bank appointment for opening up an account and LOC but they want an official acceptance letter. I hope we get something in the mail from McGill (it just isn't the same thing reading all the info online :( )

Hi 2010,

Congrats---all that worrying paid off! :-) To answer your question honestly, unit 2 is probably one of the toughest all year (with the exception of unit 6 perhaps) in that it is a super long unit...I don't think it is unrealistic to go to your brother's bar mitzvah if you plan accordingly :-) However, just keep in mind that the schedule could change and that we only got one day off before our final if I remember correctly...consider yourself lucky...hehe

-garp

To answer a couple of other questions in the same post:

1. You should receive an acceptance letter at some point in the mail--you need it for the banks/personal satisfaction :-)...again, things may have changed this year, but I dont see why they wouldnt send one out? I remember receiving mine approx. 2 weeks after my MINERVA status changed....

2. With respect to French, I can say with certainty that for at least the first year and a half you really don't need it...in fact, they don't force you to be bilingual throughout the degree--though it is recommended to getting the most out of your clinical years...

3. Lastly, the number of hours one works per day is completely variable...some like to cram and study the week before an exam, whereas others like to pre-read for lectures and keep up...I personally am somewhere in between as cramming is definitely not my style--but you honestly figure out what works best for you...I know that is a vague answer, but it is truth....

-garp

Guest MD2010

Hey Garp,

Thanks for the info! I actually think you have confused me for another with a very similar username (I think it's mcgillmed2010)? Not to say that I don't worry, but I make a serious effort to curb it!

Archived