Premed 101 Forums

Admitted Students: Questions

Guest MD2010

My apologies!!!! I didn't mean to confuse the two of you--it has been a LONG day...sooo....how about that local sports team??? heh

go habs go!

-garp

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hoomsy

I have a question for the current MDCM students...

How does the McGill Student ID for med students look like? What does it say?

Do you also get hospital IDs too?

What can we expect :)

Thanks

Hoomsy

Guest McGill Angel

hey Hoomsy,

the ID's look like regular McGill ID cards except they say Faculty of Medicine (instead of say, Faculty of Arts)...

During the clinical years, med students were a name tag on their white coats that says "First Name, Last Name, Medical Student" or something like that. I think at that we get MUHC ID's during the clinical years but not 100% sure about that....

I was wondering what gives the C.M (masters in surgery) in the M.D.C.M program.. or is it not masters in surgery? I mean what does McGill do more than other university to have that C.M ? Thanks :)

Guest McGill Angel

from what I understand, that CM in MDCM is more due to tradition than anything else. Graduating from McGill with those extra two letters after MD doesn't mean anything more than graduating from anyother school with an MD only. It is just a tradition that McGill has kept.

Guest medicator007

You understood correctly, its merely a throwback to the old scottish tradition on which McGill's original curriculum was based. Dr. Wallis used to give a session during orientation on the history of Mcgill Medicine where she covers this point and numerous other fun McGill Medicine tidbits, not sure if she still does. Queen's actually used to give the MDCM as well until they abandoned it in the 60's

I am no more skilled at surgery then anyone from any other school... i assure you.

Medicator

Guest DimitriTheDr

Hey all, I was wondering if any McGill med students could describe their class schedule during BOM? Registration is taken care of by entering one single code so i have no idea how to check individual class schedules. Thanks.

Hi Dimitri,

Believe it or not, that is a difficult question to answer...firstly, our schedule really does vary from unit to unit (you get the schedule at the beginning of each unit or a couple of weeks before on the e-curriculum)...secondly, McGill is moving towards incorporating more self-directed learning into the curriculum and as such, our schedule (med1) is drastically different from years prior...however, all this to say that GENERALLY you will be in school from 8:30-2:30 five days a week (combination of lectures, small groups and labs) with an hour for lunch...some days in unit 2 we would have no class and end at lunch time...most days in unit 3 we would end at 3:30....hope this helps somewhat...:-)

-garp

Guest MD2010

Thanks for the info again Garp!

So to the current students...what happens after the 18 months of BOM? I realize you start doing more clinical stuff, but do you still have lectures and exams? How does the amount of studying compare to BOM?

Guest mstr splinter

After BOM there's 6 months of ICM, then clerkship. There are curriculum templates on the McGill sites, and you can probably log in to the e-curriculum site to look at actual schedules if you're really curious.

Some ICM rotations are more lecture-heavy, others less so, but still far less than the average week in BOM, which leaves plenty of time to goof off/study/wander around the hospitals. The lectures are also in the hospitals, and the group size is much smaller, which makes routine skipping less tactful than in yrs 1.5.

The amount of studying in ICM can be pretty minimal, if you just want to coast along. But there's less time and energy to read during clerkships; the advice you'll hear will be to read as much as you can in ICM.

Guest McGill Angel

to the current med students,

i was looking at the e-curriculum and looking at all the lecture notes and I'm starting to panic. There is just such a volume of material to know (obviously, i realize that it is medical school and that it is supposed to be challenging) and I'm starting to freak out. As an Arts major (with science minor) I'm worried that I will be behind and having to study 24/7. How do the students manage to keep on top of everything and memorize everything? I'm starting to worry that I won't be able to handle it (maybe it's just nerves talking here)...

should I start studying the textbooks and notes during the summer to make sure I am prepared?

Guest mstr splinter

Don't even think about touching a book this summer, and avoid looking at schedules or notes if it stresses you out. There's enough time for that in the future. Instead, for this summer, be the last person to leave the bar, gym, or beach--whatever it is you like.

Lots of people make it through every year with a BA + science prereqs as background, without a science minor. They may study some areas more than the guy with an anatomy degree, but you won't notice that.

You *will* manage, in part because there's no need or way to memorize alll that information in those notes. A big part of your job next year and in years to come is information management: figuring out what to do with everything that's out there, in the limited time available.

But don't spend your summer anywhere near anything school-related. It will do you no good, and you'll studying those notes soon enough.

Guest mstr splinter

ICM: no nights, no weekends. Hours vary by rotation, but rare to have much beyond 9 - 5. For many weeks you'll have a few scheduled hours (teaching of some sort) scattered throughout the day and the rest at liberty.

POM (clerkship): again, varies by rotation, but a linguistic shift happens; people start talking about going to "work" tomorrow, not "school." (It's still school, you're still learning, you just feel more like a working stiff.) A light day in psych might be 9 - 3. In surgery you might drop 13 hours without blinking. In POM you are on the call schedule which means you work overnight, and sometimes that will fall on a weekend.

Guest TyShams

To re-iterate wat mstr-splinter said, please do not study anything until school has started. There is no need to stress yourself out ahead of time. Do not think that by studying ahead you will be doing yourself a favour, because you are definitely not responsibel for 100% of the material in e-curriculum, and there is some material that you are responsible for that isn't in there (and that abrogates the lectures that are online). So don't waste your freetime.

When I started the program at mcgill, I was just as worried as you were (if not more). But after unit three, I decided to take it easy, go to the gym, and devote more free time to non-academic commitments. By far and large, my marks have improved by studying less and focusing more on life! I would suggest a balanced approach to school. Please don't study to the point of burnout.... because you'll just end up burning out.

So relax, enjoy the summer, get drunk, get laid, ride a bike, fly a kite, but do yourself a favour and leave the studying for when it will be most usefull (during the school year).

Cheers,

TyShams

Guest northcountry1

Hello everyone,

Has anyone accepted their offer on Minerva? If so, can you tell me where on the site I can accept? Also, are there any American students here who paid the $500 deposit using Minerva, and did you have to convert into CDN dollars yourself, or did it do it for you?

Thanks!

Guest MD2010

Log into Minerva and go to the "Applicant" menu - continue on through the menus to check your status. On the status page where it shows your status "Accepted with condition" (or something like that), if you click on that then you should be able to pay. The credit card company takes care of the conversion, thought I think they might take a small amount for doing so but I am not sure.

Guest Neuronic

I can't seem to accept the offer with minerva because it keeps on giving me this message:

"ou currently have another active student record. Please contact your admissions office."

I am currently registered as a grad student. Does anyone else have this problem too?

The admissions office said not to worry and they'll have the problem fixed, but its been almost a week now and I still can't accept the offer online. 8o

Guest 1985SS

Yes I had the same problem. But this morning I finally got through and could pay the deposit. So perhaps yours will be fixed soon ?

Guest Neuronic

hi 1985SS! They told me that they would call individually when they get to it. Did they call you before they fixed your minerva?

thanks

Guest 1985SS

No I got no call. I just obsessively tried to pay the deposite 4-5 times a day and at last it allowed me... The only thing I can attribute it to is that initially I had a $60 fee still pending in my account for graduation. After that had been cleared, I was somehow allowed to pay the deposit.

Guest Sharks101

I apologize if this is the wrong thread for this question but i tought i would ask anyways: did any of you accepted students ever take a 12 credit semester? or a summer class. If so, did it ever come up during the interview.

Guest DimitriTheDr

Hey, During one of my semesters i REALLY wasn't happy with a course and dropped it past the deadline. It was on my transcript. I just had to take one semester of 18 credits....and it never came up in the interview.

Guest trustwomen

I took three nine-credit semesters (was also working 40 hours/week) and two twelve-credit semesters (working 32 hours/week). Attached a letter of explanation (and attestation from employer) and it wasn't an issue. Took summer classes too.

Guest hoomsy

i did my undergrad in 3 years...

out of the 6 semesters...i took only 1 semester 15 credits or more (17)...the rest were like 12-14 credits. i had a lot of transfer credits etc. from APs....i worked (TAed org) and i volunteered like 16 hours per week so i put that in a letter attached to my application explaining the situation.

so as long as you have a good reason for not taking a full load per semester then ur cool. the most important thing (i was told by michele in adm) was you complete ur program on time or earlier.

hoomsy

Archived