Premed 101 Forums

Any Ryersonian applied for US Med Schools?

I don't know how to convert my GPA grade to AMCAS. It seems way complicated.

I wonder if anyone from Ryerson applied to AMCAS and got their grades converted.

Or if anyone bother to help me with this stupid conversion.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2010conversionguide.pdf

&

http://www.ryerson.ca/currentstudents/essr/gpa/

Also, does AMCAS simply look at upper-end, middle or lower-end of range for conversion? for instance, A- for Ryerson is 80-84 so will they consider 80, 82 or 84?

Thanks

I don't know how to convert my GPA grade to AMCAS. It seems way complicated.

I wonder if anyone from Ryerson applied to AMCAS and got their grades converted.

Or if anyone bother to help me with this stupid conversion.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2010conversionguide.pdf

&

http://www.ryerson.ca/currentstudents/essr/gpa/

Also, does AMCAS simply look at upper-end, middle or lower-end of range for conversion? for instance, A- for Ryerson is 80-84 so will they consider 80, 82 or 84?

Thanks

*sticks up nose at you*

But actually, the best way to do this, is to call AMCAS :) (Especially if you are the pioneer Ryerson student to do this ;) )

*sticks up nose at you*

But actually, the best way to do this, is to call AMCAS :) (Especially if you are the pioneer Ryerson student to do this ;) )

Stay away from under bannie's nose it has brown stuff on it.

But seriously, bannie you gotta chill with your U of T ego. We get it. You go to U of T. Its a decent school. Stop looking down on everyone else for not going there, joking or not. And don't make it sound like you went to war and came out the victor just because you went there. People elsewhere have had to work hard too, and have their troubles with their institutions. U of T isn't some special mecca. Just cool it, PLEASE.

OP, you'll have to talk to AMCAS if you want the answer. There hasn't been a Ryerson person posting on this board, maybe only lurking.

Stay away from under bannie's nose it has brown stuff on it.

But seriously, bannie you gotta chill with your U of T ego. We get it. You go to U of T. Its a decent school. Stop looking down on everyone else for not going there, joking or not. And don't make it sound like you went to war and came out the victor just because you went there. People elsewhere have had to work hard too, and have their troubles with their institutions. U of T isn't some special mecca. Just cool it, PLEASE.

OP, you'll have to talk to AMCAS if you want the answer. There hasn't been a Ryerson person posting on this board, maybe only lurking.

Lol. You are too serious :eek:

No, I'm just getting annoyed, and I'm not the only one on this board. Stop gloating!

+1. It's funny you mention being too serious bannie. Need I remind you of your SDN fiasco? Let's not forget that every post Keith makes is incredibly helpful, especially in this section of the forum.

While I definitely applaud your impressive school acceptance list, your international status may have skewed your viewpoints (let's face it, you truly believe UofT is the be all and end all even though you claim to be joking around). The fact of the matter is, many high school students from Ontario get into all the Ontario universities. It's different from the states (where SATs determine where you go in terms of prestige). Aside from programs like Mac Health Sci and UT Eng Sci, people choose their schools because of factors like fit, proximity to home (or to be farther from home), tuition costs after scholarships, etc.

The fact of the matter is, many high school students from Ontario get into all the Ontario universities. It's different from the states (where SATs determine where you go in terms of prestige). Aside from programs like Mac Health Sci and UT Eng Sci, people choose their schools because of factors like fit, proximity to home (or to be farther from home), tuition costs after scholarships, etc.

*nods*:rolleyes:

+1. It's funny you mention being too serious bannie. Need I remind you of your SDN fiasco? Let's not forget that every post Keith makes is incredibly helpful, especially in this section of the forum.

While I definitely applaud your impressive school acceptance list, your international status may have skewed your viewpoints (let's face it, you truly believe UofT is the be all and end all even though you claim to be joking around). The fact of the matter is, many high school students from Ontario get into all the Ontario universities. It's different from the states (where SATs determine where you go in terms of prestige). Aside from programs like Mac Health Sci and UT Eng Sci, people choose their schools because of factors like fit, proximity to home (or to be farther from home), tuition costs after scholarships, etc.

I totally agree.

Everybody and their brother and their sister gets into the UofT Life Sciences or Arts & Science programs. I really don't understand where the gloating comes from. I mean, it's not like these people are doing Eng Sci or any of the other competitive professional programs at UofT. At the end of the day, it's really the hard work you put into your BSc or BA that gets you the recognition that you may want or more importantly opens doors for you (which Bannie has definitely done).

Besides, a lot of the students that go to UofT complain endlessly of student alienation (i.e. no student life whatsoever). That is defnitely one thing that compels students from not wanting to go there.

+1 tricky. I am not from Ontario but chose to go to an Ontario Univ. I didn't even bother applying to U of T for UG because I didn't want to live in Toronto and the school was ridiculously large for my liking. I applied to only one Ontario school (and my home province's school) and choose my school for personal reasons (other than just having U of T printed on my diploma). Yes, it has reputation behind it (was consistently ranked by McLean's #1 overall). Was that the end all tell all? NO. I chose it for its program, class sizes and the community.

Do I fly my Waterloo colours in everyone's face? NO.

Is it still a good school and offered me the education I wanted even though it wasn't U of T. YES.

Oh, and I should mention I spent 1 term at McGill (on exchange) which is actually rated higher than U of T according to McLean's. Was a great experience, learned a lot and had fun. Had the chance to stay longer (and even transfer) but I didn't opt to. Do I gloat for being at McGill because it is "better" than U of T? NO!

Bannie, you have to start appreciating a school for what it is worth and not just some stupid number some rating system came up with. In the end, Joe Smith form Butt****nowhere won't care if you went to Harvard or Ross, as long as you are qualified to practice and are actually good at bedside manner and don't hold an ego for where you used to go to school.

I admit, there may be some "easier" institutions out there, but that doesn't preclude the amount of work people have to do to actually make it and that they chose their school for reasons beyond a so-called reputation.

I totally agree.

Everybody and their brother and their sister gets into the UofT Life Sciences or Arts & Science programs. I really don't understand where the gloating comes from. I mean, it's not like these people are doing Eng Sci or any of the other competitive professional programs at UofT. At the end of the day, it's really the hard work you put into your BSc or BA that gets you the recognition that you may want or more importantly opens doors for you (which Bannie has definitely done).

Besides, a lot of the students that go to UofT complain endlessly of student alienation (i.e. no student life whatsoever). That is defnitely one thing that compels students from not wanting to go there.

There is no alienation at UofT that is not found in other schools where 90% of the people commute. I have friends that i made but if i lived on res, Life would be a lot sweeter and less stressfull.

Archived