Premed 101 Forums

CEGEP invites are out!

Noval

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me say this to the people who didn't get invited if it can make you feel better (I know it wont, but anyway...) : I have 35.5 R Score, 2 years of volunteer, solid references from my teachers and where I volunteer, and a nice resume that included the fact that I traveled a lot and speak 3 languages. (which is all true)

I did not even get an invitation... honestly it's the worst, if it was after the interview then I can understand that maybe they didn't like me or something... but getting no invitation after putting everything I got into this, it really is a slap in the face. It seems that no matter how much more efforts I would have put into this, would have made no difference at all.

Anyway, there is still the 3 other universities of course... but yeah, I know it's anger speaking here but still, I just want to say **** this ****ty university, **** this admission processus, **** the retarded criteria for admission (if they even have any)...

Alright I feel better already :)

And concerning last post, mine still says ready for review

As mentioned before, McGill looks at an applicant holistically rather than a focus on a particular area: academics, ECs, etc. They know how much time a student has so they can pick up on exaggeration and falsification.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while you may think a certain candidate has the ideal attributes to be a doctor, the admissions committee may think otherwise. You're not a doctor so you don't know what attributes or combination of attributes make up a good doctor. The admissions committee have had years of experience in the selection process so they can discern those who they think would be good doctors and those who won't. That being said, they are also capable of making errors.

If you didn't receive an invite, don't give up. Your passion and commitment for medicine will be noticed. Good luck to everyone!

Guest success100
Let me say this to the people who didn't get invited if it can make you feel better (I know it wont, but anyway...) : I have 35.5 R Score, 2 years of volunteer, solid references from my teachers and where I volunteer, and a nice resume that included the fact that I traveled a lot and speak 3 languages. (which is all true)

I did not even get an invitation... honestly it's the worst, if it was after the interview then I can understand that maybe they didn't like me or something... but getting no invitation after putting everything I got into this, it really is a slap in the face. It seems that no matter how much more efforts I would have put into this, would have made no difference at all.

Anyway, there is still the 3 other universities of course... but yeah, I know it's anger speaking here but still, I just want to say **** this ****ty university, **** this admission processus, **** the retarded criteria for admission (if they even have any)...

Alright I feel better already :)

And concerning last post, mine still says ready for review

Wow really?If you get no invitations for ATLEAST one of the three universities then there is SOMETHING GOING WRONG WITH THIS SYSTEM.

Don't worry,you'll get invited,i'm sure,if not,they don't know what good students are.

A 35.5 will most probably get an interview somewhere. The good thing about mcgill is ti actually looks at all your submissions and grades you as a package not just marks.

Whereas McGill invites students after studying allllll their submissions, the others only base on R-scores... I'd be surprised if a 35.5 R-score didn't even get an interview in Laval, Sherby and Mtl!

Actually, I'm in my first year of undergrad and so far, I hate university. I guess I'm the only one who prefered Cegep, because studying wasn't so time-consuming and I had time to do ECs.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm having a blast with university. Cegep on the other hand was a nightmare for me. I find that with university, there's more freedom on what I want to learn whereas in cegep, we're forced to take courses. To each their own, I guess.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm having a blast with university. Cegep on the other hand was a nightmare for me. I find that with university, there's more freedom on what I want to learn whereas in cegep, we're forced to take courses. To each their own, I guess.

Wait... how come aren't you forced to take courses?

I'm sure it's been discussed in other threads ... but :

How much ''formal'' do we have to dress for the interviews? Should we go with the shiny suit? Or should we dress somewhat formally, with clean pants and shoes, a shirt and a sweater?

Thanks !!

Wow really?If you get no invitations for ATLEAST one of the three universities then there is SOMETHING GOING WRONG WITH THIS SYSTEM.

Don't worry,you'll get invited,i'm sure,if not,they don't know what good students are.

Actually I did get invited for all 3 other universities yesterday, Im quite relieved! Still nothing from McGill thought, so it sucks but thats life, you don't always get what you want and now I have to make the best with what I got and will concentrate on the other universities! Good luck to everyone else as well, especially to all those who have been working hard for years to get there.

I'm sure it's been discussed in other threads ... but :

How much ''formal'' do we have to dress for the interviews? Should we go with the shiny suit? Or should we dress somewhat formally, with clean pants and shoes, a shirt and a sweater?

Thanks !!

Other than McGill, in Quebec informal wear is acceptable - so wear whatever makes you feel comfortable for killing the MEM. Best of luck! May we be classmates. :)

I went to my interviews wearing a shirt and a pair of jeans...

...and got accepted in all three med schools I had applied to.

I would have had a hard time trying to be myself and share my personality with a knot in my neck.

(1) Other than McGill, in Quebec informal wear is acceptable - so wear whatever makes you feel comfortable for killing the MEM. Best of luck! (2) May we be classmates. :)

(1) Okay, thanks !

(2) Amen !

EDIT: Best of luck too !

Actually, I'm in my first year of undergrad and so far, I hate university. I guess I'm the only one who prefered Cegep, because studying wasn't so time-consuming and I had time to do ECs.

You are correct that the academics @ UG are more time consuming, but I have found that I became much more time efficient in UG, and despite the heavier load, my volunteering and ECs have exploded time wise, with my grades having improved. Taking courses you enjoy helps! On the other hand, the only social life I have is related to my activities during the activities.

I hear yah - then you got to love PT. In exercise science, specializing in clinical exercise psyiology, there are electives, but the load with a clinical internship and constant assignments is heavy, It is constant assignments, exams and study.....but it prepares you for your future.

Archived