Premed 101 Forums

Good grocery shops

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Resident Montrealers, can you provide some tips on some good grocery shops downtown? I'll be in and around the old port area for a number of weeks and have no clue where to begin to buy cereal and the like. Also, I've heard about an award-winning supermarche that's somewhere in Montreal--any info about that? Any help would be appreciated. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest medicator007

Kirsteen,

As a west-ender I only go downtown to watch hockey games or get inebriated. Don't know the downtown supermarkets, let alone the award winning ones.

Sorry,

Medicator

Guest Gavanshir

Hey I live downtown near Guy. I really don't think you'll have any problem finding groceries here. :P There are of course "depaneurs" everywhere which are basically small independant owned stores but their prices tend to be higher than supermarkets. There is also Couche Tard which is like a chain depaneur, which again has slightly higher prices but is open 24/7. As far as supermarkets, the two major ones that you'll find everywhere are Provigo and Metro. There is a Provigo right here on St. Catherine's. Then there is this supermarket "Supermarche PA" which is right in the street next to Provigo and has everything including fresh fish and organic stuff. A bit closer to Guy street is Mourelatos which I think is a greek owned supermarket. That's between Guy and Saint-Mathieu. There is this other place in West-Mount that I think is called The Four Seasons, which is a bit more on the highend but its prices are fine. There are also pharmacies which do carry cereals, Jean Coutu and Pharmaprix; you'll find a lot of those. Have fun!

Guest Gavanshir

Oh and I havn't heard anything about an awardwinning supermarket but I'm guessing it isn't any of the major chain ones. It might be The Four Seasons in West-Mount or Supermarche PA.

Guest mstr splinter

Montreal has so many places to buy food you don't have to darken the doors of big, expensive chains unless you want the convenience. Most neighbourhoods will have smaller, family-run places to shop. I don't know the old port very well, but you might go to Chinatown for produce. If you're out and about on St Laurent, try the little shops dotting the street between Prince Arthur and Mt Royal; la Vielle Europe and Slovenia and the Spanish place, come to mind, but there are others as well--some bulk place on the east side (hello, cereal) for example. And if you figure out what the award-winning store is, be sure to let us know.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

Thanks for your input and ideas--I appreciate it. As for this award-winning place, I read about it in a magazine (Travel and Leisure?) in December and didn't think about it again. I recall the photo showing a place with lots of windows out fron and big red letters to advertise the name. Apparently the store won all sorts of design awards, so it sounded like a pretty innovative spot, and perhaps interesting to check out from a consumer design aspect.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest McGillMed2010

I think you mean the Four Seasons in Westmount, right near Westmount square. It's a really nice place and you can find all sorts of nice things there that you wouldn't be able to get at a normal chain grocery store, like special types of exotic fruits and vegetables. Not sure if that is the one you are referring to but I can't think of any other place

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

Thanks for letting me know about the place. Being a bit of a foodie, I'll definitely go to have a sniff around. (It's not the place I read about, however, the article for which, of course, I can no longer find.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Kirsteen

Nice Timing!

For any other foodies or lovers of Montreal out there, the March edition of Gourmet magazine is almost entirely devoted to Montreal. Lots of great (and many very affordable) options for dining and entertainment in what they call, "North America's Most European City". :D

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived