Premed 101 Forums

Switching from Biomed to Biochem

Hi everyone,

I have gotten accepted into Biomedical science and Biochemistry (Co-op, Honours) for the fall 2010 at uOttawa. Of these programs, I will accept the offer of biomed. However, as I am still considering biochem (oh, and yes, I will be applying to med school in 3rd and 4th years of undegrad) I want to be able to switch out of biomed after 1st year into biochem. I have looked at the 1st year curriculum of biomed and biochem. the only difference between the 2 is that I am required to take 2 physics courses in biochem whereas biomed wants me to take 1 health science, 2 psych and 2 anatomy courses. Does this mean that I will need to take those 2 physics courses in the 1st year of biomed so that I can switch into biochem if I want to?

Thanks for your advices in advance.

Probably not. You don't have to follow university prescribed schedules for taking courses. As long as you keep your marks up, there shouldn't be too much of an issue switching. I myself switched from Waterloo's old pre-op/pre-health program into biochem after 2nd year. I would advise you to take the advice of the university's program coordinators/counsellors for what will be acceptable.

Archived