Premed 101 Forums

MD/PhD program

Guest cake333

Guest cake333

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone knew if during McGill MD/PhD program you start undergrad MD then switch to PhD and then switch back for clearkship or if you start doing one, and then finish and do the other? I know at U of T and Western you can do either, but I couldn't find anything on the order at McGill.

Guest ilitvino

I may not be the best person to answer this, but from I heard from MD/PhD students -- you do two years of med school (in the summer of your second year, if you want, you can take USMLE-- for those planning to go to the States for residency training). After these initial two years, you start your PhD work. After completion of your thesis (4-5 years) you return to the wards to complete the remaining two years of the clinical training.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest med2006McGill

I can answer this question since I applied to MD/PhD program, was accepted, but didn't end up doing the PhD portion. At McGill, you first do 1 and a half year of med school (Basis of Medicine). Then, you do your PhD. After you're done your PhD, you start Introduction to Clinical Medicine for half a year. Then, you do clerkship.

The McGill MD/PhD curriculum is well-designed because it gives the MD/PhD students half a year to re-familiarize themselves with clinical stuff before starting clerkship.

Archived