Premed 101 Forums

The Wait

Do you think they have their list finalized and everyone is already ranked? Apparently UBC is done everything and is just sitting on the list until May 14th.

i've gotto think so. It's an awful long time between interviews and decisions and by now things should be set (i would guess a couple of weeks ago if not more actually). Do you know why they wait so long to release results?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i've gotto think so. It's an awful long time between interviews and decisions and by now things should be set (i would guess a couple of weeks ago if not more actually). Do you know why they wait so long to release results?

I think it's because they want everyone to know the results of the majority of the schools at the same time, this way, people can see what their options are and make a decision rather than waiting to hear back on a particular school. I think they wait so long because U of T takes a long time to interview their candidates (they have a rolling interview system). Sighhh... oh this wait is driving me bananas

I think it's because they want everyone to know the results of the majority of the schools at the same time, this way, people can see what their options are and make a decision rather than waiting to hear back on a particular school.

Yeah, I heard that there's some sort of agreement among the Ontario-and-West schools that they won't release decisions before then for more or less that reason. I don't understand though why they don't just tell you when they know and then don't allow you to accept/decline the offer until May 14th. It's hard having your life stuck on hold for this long!

After the interview (on sunday), the admissions guy told us that they had already calculated the interviews scores of the candidates of saturday and were already ranked! So I'm sure that they have the list, also remember though that no one knows the actual number of seats so this list can increase or decrease

Yeah, I heard that there's some sort of agreement among the Ontario-and-West schools that they won't release decisions before then for more or less that reason. I don't understand though why they don't just tell you when they know and then don't allow you to accept/decline the offer until May 14th. It's hard having your life stuck on hold for this long!

yeah waiting for all schools to release is pretty paternalistic.....maybe there's a better reason. or not. then again, with Alb schools, they still need to figure out how many acceptances they will send out.

good point about UT yeeha

After the interview (on sunday), the admissions guy told us that they had already calculated the interviews scores of the candidates of saturday and were already ranked! So I'm sure that they have the list, also remember though that no one knows the actual number of seats so this list can increase or decrease

i dont know how true this is, but i've heard that even though candidates are scored on the interviews the day of, there are still "discussions" about the overall master rank list. I interpret this as some subjectivity but i've only heard about it from a couple of people.

Yeah at my interview as well the admissions guy said that on Sunday after the morning interviews... that it only takes them a week or so to get the numbers pumped out. I distinctly remember that being said, and a bunch of us even talked about it after the interview about how odd that was. They do just bubble in circles into a sheet at the MMI stations... There's not much to it

They do just bubble in circles into a sheet at the MMI stations... There's not much to it

I actually hated seeing that bubble sheet in front of my interviewer during the MMI. I know the other MMI schools had some kind of standardized eval form, too, but.... really?? A scantron? I'm sure it makes for easy tallying of results but it felt incredibly impersonal.

I actually hated seeing that bubble sheet in front of my interviewer during the MMI. I know the other MMI schools had some kind of standardized eval form, too, but.... really?? A scantron? I'm sure it makes for easy tallying of results but it felt incredibly impersonal.

I think some schools have a section for additional comments too if that alleviates the impersonal feeling of having your character and personal attributes being bubbled... :)

I've also heard it takes a long time b/c marks need to be readjusted?

Ex. If you applied as a 4th year IP, then your gpa was calculated based on your last 3 years. Now once you submit your transcripts for this year, the admissions committee will readjust your gpa given it would be beneficial.

Basically I'm asking if our gpa calculated in our application changes based on the marks of our 4th year, 5th year etc

mermaid: While the scores are tallied for the interview a week after thanks to scantron forms, the final decisions have not been made. If you think about the nature of the scantron, it is no more impersonal than having an interviewer write a numerical score in a blank, and it is unrealistic and unreasonable to have interviewers write a paragraph per person on the merits of their MMI performance. Besides, there is a comment section allowing for elaboration on why someone received a certain score. In the same vein, we don't really know for sure how the numerical scores of interviews are tabulated. Some people have claimed they drop your lowest station, and some have claimed they might weight some heavier than others...I have no idea if this is true, and doubt there is anything like this, but should the faculty want to assess the quality of a station, they have statistical data for 400+ interviewees to decide on how appropriate each question was. Also, the faculty is not only focused on this year's applicants. Admissions is an evolving, never perfect process, and changes are always on the table for consideration, and the ability to generate data and correlate it with performance of students as applicants and as medical students allows ongoing evidence based assessment of the MMI and admissions process itself. I understand that as applicants you all feel individual and unique (and you are, and I felt the same way), thus a bubble sheet seems inappropriate, but in reality they're assessing your appropriateness for medical school as a result of your uniqueness, and therefore they need standardized scales (remember, global impression in addition to quality of answers was considered).

Skp: they don't re-calculated GPA after you turn in transcripts, they only ensure that your grades didn't slip so much that you dropped below acceptable standards

thanks Kines:)

mermaid: While the scores are tallied for the interview a week after thanks to scantron forms, the final decisions have not been made. If you think about the nature of the scantron, it is no more impersonal than having an interviewer write a numerical score in a blank, and it is unrealistic and unreasonable to have interviewers write a paragraph per person on the merits of their MMI performance. Besides, there is a comment section allowing for elaboration on why someone received a certain score. In the same vein, we don't really know for sure how the numerical scores of interviews are tabulated. Some people have claimed they drop your lowest station, and some have claimed they might weight some heavier than others...I have no idea if this is true, and doubt there is anything like this, but should the faculty want to assess the quality of a station, they have statistical data for 400+ interviewees to decide on how appropriate each question was. Also, the faculty is not only focused on this year's applicants. Admissions is an evolving, never perfect process, and changes are always on the table for consideration, and the ability to generate data and correlate it with performance of students as applicants and as medical students allows ongoing evidence based assessment of the MMI and admissions process itself. I understand that as applicants you all feel individual and unique (and you are, and I felt the same way), thus a bubble sheet seems inappropriate, but in reality they're assessing your appropriateness for medical school as a result of your uniqueness, and therefore they need standardized scales (remember, global impression in addition to quality of answers was considered).

Skp: they don't re-calculated GPA after you turn in transcripts, they only ensure that your grades didn't slip so much that you dropped below acceptable standards

Archived