Premed 101 Forums

course loads

Guest kanayo101

Guest kanayo101

hello,

is there anybody here applying (or even admitted in to McGill) with having taken less than full course loads in their undergrad? I've taken 4 courses/semester (12 credits/semester...in BC)...is that bad?

I was told by admissions that my chances were not very good!

Guest medicator007

Nothing in life is certain and as they say that the only way to really find out is to apply.

That being said, the full course load requirement is something that I have heard McGill enforces quite strictly, especially in the quite competitive out of province category.

Is your 12 credits for ALL semesters? Or only one?

Again, not IMPOSSIBLE to get in... but as I said, not likely.

Medicator

Guest kanayo101

thanks for your reply!

it is 12 credits for most semesters @ college and university.

From what I see here in BC, 4 courses/semester is mainstream. I know McGill and other universities have their reasons...but i think that rule is just silly...taking "only" 4 courses a semester because you want to have time to pursue other responsibilities and/or interests and/or want a life outside of school isn't something you should be penalized for.

UBC, for instance, does not weed people out with such a rule and I think they're medical students are able to handle the intense med curriculum just fine!

Oh well...excuse my complaining...

Thanks Medicator

• 3 months later...
Guest mcgill premed

hey i just wanted to ask if you have 12 credits in your first year (both semesters) is that realy bad?

i hope that you can answer me as soon as possible

thanks

Guest mcgill premed

hi

i called the admissions office and they told me that there were students who had less than 15 credits for a semester or two who applied to med school and they said i can still apply but they didnt tell me how ever if its realy bad or reduce my chances or not all what she told me was that it happened before and students still applied for med school.i dont know who i should i ask for sure.

thnx

Guest cooltyger

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine and I both had separately asked the admissions office regarding course load. We were told that this rule is to show them that we can handle the load once we're in med school. We were not given specifics on how they would weigh this, but were told to make sure we wrote a letter explaining why we took fewer than 15 credits/semester, and what else we did during that time (eg. volunteer hours, work, sports etc.).

Archived