Premed 101 Forums

How good do your LORs have to be? Where did you get yours from?

I've said this before to you, as good as possible.

It doesn't matter where you get them from, just make sure they're as good as possible, objective, and have known you for a while. If someone tells you they got a reference letter from the pope, what are you gonna do? Go meet the pope? Every applicant is different, get the people that will write you the strongest letter.

I've said this before to you...

You're not the only one.

OP, it would appear that you simply ignore good advice.

Maybe what you're looking to hear is that your LORs can be mediocre, written by friends and family or people that have only known you personally for a few days. All that actually matters is the quality of the paper that the letters are printed on, and that they are on official-looking letterhead.

I mean, it's not like LORs play a crucial role in determining your eligibility for an interview at some schools (e.g. Toronto) and for establishing the rank order list for offers of admission at others (e.g. Queen's).

You're not the only one.

Maybe what you're looking to hear is that your LORs can be mediocre, written by friends and family or people that have only known you personally for a few days. All that actually matters is the quality of the paper that the letters are printed on, and that they are on official-looking letterhead.

I mean, it's not like LORs play a crucial role in determining your eligibility for an interview at some schools (e.g. Toronto) and for establishing the rank order list for offers of admission at others (e.g. Queen's).

I thought the references were worth 20% at u of t... or are you simply being sarcastic? :P

You thought wrong UTPEOPLE. LORs are part of the NAQ score with unknown weight.

You're not the only one.

:D :D

You thought wrong UTPEOPLE. LORs are part of the NAQ score with unknown weight.

:D :D

darn... that NAQ score at u of t sure is shifty. :P couldnt even find a reference to it aaannnyyywhere... I guess that getting in to med school is like an easter egg hunt.. Find the NAQ reference, get in. :)

Hey,

I knew UofT used references but I guess I missed out on how Queen's uses them. So how does Queen's look at/consider references?

Thanks a lot

You're not the only one.

Hey,

I knew UofT used references but I guess I missed out on how Queen's uses them. So how does Queen's look at/consider references?

Thanks a lot

According to Queen's admissions website, reference letters are considered as part of the final decision; however, I have also heard from some members that the interview may be worth 100% of the final decision after all.

Well Smart asses. I looked at UWO's website and "SEARCH" and did not find how UWO uses LORs

That wasn't even your original question...

From what I understand, Western doesn't typically evaluate letters of reference for admission to their medical program.

Well Smart asses. I looked at UWO's website and "SEARCH" and did not find how UWO uses LORs

My post addressed the second of your two questions, ie. "Where did you get yours from?"

The first question (ie. How good do your LORs have to be?) is somewhat redundant. The competitiveness of the admission process is well known and you would naturally try to secure the most powerful references you can. The sources and typical content of ref letters has been discussed many times here already.

Archived