Premed 101 Forums

Albert Einstein, Case Westerin, Baylor, Mount Sinai

Which school you would choose if money is not considered?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which school you would choose if money is not considered?

• Albert Einstein
    • Baylor
    • Case Western
    • Mount Sinai

Which school you would choose if money is not considered?

They are all solid schools so I would say it comes down to personal preference on things like curriculum and location. Chances are, if you love NYC, you probably wouldn't love living in Texas and vice versa. I'd probably take into account how far you're willing to live from your family. Also, it seems you're more likely to get into residency programs in the same region as med school, so consider where you might want to be for the next 9 or so years.

They are all solid schools so I would say it comes down to personal preference on things like curriculum and location. Chances are, if you love NYC, you probably wouldn't love living in Texas and vice versa. I'd probably take into account how far you're willing to live from your family. Also, it seems you're more likely to get into residency programs in the same region as med school, so consider where you might want to be for the next 9 or so years.

Pardon my ignorance Rach, but why are you more likely to get into a residency program in the region you go to med school? I understand it would be easier to get into a residency program in the same school taht you go to though ...

Pardon my ignorance Rach, but why are you more likely to get into a residency program in the region you go to med school? I understand it would be easier to get into a residency program in the same school taht you go to though ...

Based on what I've read on SDN, it seems to be due to the fact that residency directors are more familiar with students and programs in their region. If they know that X school usually produces students who are well-prepared for residency, it's less of a gamble to pick another student from that program than pick a student from a program they don't know well. You're also more likely to get the chance to do some elective rotations close to your school, which can be a good way to get your foot in the door for residencies. Also, I'm guessing that Dean's letters and other evaluations probably hold more weight when residency directors know the people writing the letters. Of course a lot of people get residencies across the US, but from what I've read, your odds are better within the same area.

I picked Baylor. Only one of those four that excites me.

You are seriously asking a lot out of people by making this poll, though. What do you expect people to vote on? reputation? city? that seems like all it is seeing as nobody is going to have actually visited all four schools and expecting people to do hardcore research for a question like this is a little farfetch'd :P

So um, yeah. If you are actually choosing between these four schools, go on SDN and do a thread search or something. You aren't going to get anything meaningful here.

I only visited two of those four, but I'm for Sinai over Case. I wasn't crazy about the Case curriculum, and how it starts in the middle of the summer. Plus, I'd much rather live in NYC than Cleveland.

They are both great schools though with awesome matches and everything, you can't really go wrong with either.

I picked Baylor. Only one of those four that excites me.

You are seriously asking a lot out of people by making this poll, though. What do you expect people to vote on? reputation? city? that seems like all it is seeing as nobody is going to have actually visited all four schools and expecting people to do hardcore research for a question like this is a little farfetch'd :P

So um, yeah. If you are actually choosing between these four schools, go on SDN and do a thread search or something. You aren't going to get anything meaningful here.

I was asking this question from the Canadian applicants' perspective. I understand that all of them are very good schools and I cannot go wrong with whatever I choose. Personally I prefer Mount Sinai over the other three because of the location. I guess it eventually comes to the cost. Baylor does not give any money to international students but the cost itself is low (total is in $45k range). Other three offer merit-based scholarship but I don't know the decision yet. So i will wait and see.

Archived