Premed 101 Forums

Studying abroad

I was wondering if any of you dental students, accepted applicants, or dent hopefuls have studied abroad and how you think it tied into you path towards dental school.

Did you use the experience as a point in any part of your interview, personal essay, ect...

How did it tie into your GPA application? Do they count your one semester at your home university and subsequent semester at the university abroad as one year?

Do/did they look at your marks abroad?

Any stories or whatever else works as well.

Thanks

Dental schools in Canada do not give you much TANGIBLE gains in studying abroad experience.

With that said I recommend you do it 100%. 1000% even. Studying abroad and being cross-cultural gives you the greatest experiences that only YOU will benefit from. That is why it is hard to justify doing it. It is self-betterment, doing something that is out of the way to improve your outlook and encounter experiences that build your character and give an individual substance. I could probably assure you that your interview would go better, you'd have a plethora of experiences to build off of. I know it's hard to go and do it if you have aspirations for dentistry, but my ONLY regret through undergrad (and I don't believe in regret, I believe in taking away from experiences) is not taking advantage of study abroad experiences I could have went on.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Im in second year right now at Ottawa u and Im going abroad next year in France for the whole year. I want to go to dentistry afterwards so I contacted most of the Canadian schools and they said they would look at the marks you get while youre abroad. I'm not sure if they are weighted into your GPA though.

The good thing is, if you go abroad, you will probably have light course loads (I know I do next year) and it won't be hard to maintain high grades. And you will still have plenty of time to do other stuff like travel.

Im in second year right now at Ottawa u and Im going abroad next year in France for the whole year. I want to go to dentistry afterwards so I contacted most of the Canadian schools and they said they would look at the marks you get while youre abroad. I'm not sure if they are weighted into your GPA though.

The good thing is, if you go abroad, you will probably have light course loads (I know I do next year) and it won't be hard to maintain high grades. And you will still have plenty of time to do other stuff like travel.

Yes, dentistry will take your grades into account after you transfer them onto your Canadian University transcript. But only if they are a full course load. I know for a fact that UWO will not take a year into account if you only have less than a 5.0 credit load. I'm assuming UT is the same, or will penalize for lack of a full course load.

I did my exchange in Germany, got my grades transferred, & they were used by UT and UWO.

Archived