Premed 101 Forums

Fellowship in the states

Hi,

Im still an undergrad but I'm trying to get into medicine here in Canada. I'm planning on practicing here too eventually, so I'm thinking of doing my residency here as well. I was wondering... if I were to do that - my MD and residency in Canada - would I still be able to go down to the states to do a fellowship? I'm really interested in Integrative Medicine, but in Canada we don't have any fellowship options for integrative medicine.

Does anyone know? Would I have to do my residency in the states in order to do a fellowship there? How would that affect your abilities to come back to Canada to work? Thanks :)

Hi,

Im still an undergrad but I'm trying to get into medicine here in Canada. I'm planning on practicing here too eventually, so I'm thinking of doing my residency here as well. I was wondering... if I were to do that - my MD and residency in Canada - would I still be able to go down to the states to do a fellowship? I'm really interested in Integrative Medicine, but in Canada we don't have any fellowship options for integrative medicine.

Does anyone know? Would I have to do my residency in the states in order to do a fellowship there? How would that affect your abilities to come back to Canada to work? Thanks :)

Yes, many Canadian MDs who did residency in Canada go to the US for fellowships, especially in areas that we don't have programs in. Sometimes you need to pass the USMLE, but that's something you can do in Canada. Also, you never know what you'll be interested in once you go through med, so don't worry too much about this now.

Archived