Premed 101 Forums

Post-degree student question

Has anyone here done an additional year after their undergrad as a post degree student in the same field at another university? If so, while these courses don't count towards your cGPA, do professional schools/grad schools look at this year/half a year of marks or do they completely disregard it and only look at your "undergrad" degree? Just wondering whether I should audit these courses (if they don't bother looking at it) or keep the marks. Thanks.

Has anyone here done an additional year after their undergrad as a post degree student in the same field at another university? If so, while these courses don't count towards your cGPA, do professional schools/grad schools look at this year/half a year of marks or do they completely disregard it and only look at your "undergrad" degree? Just wondering whether I should audit these courses (if they don't bother looking at it) or keep the marks. Thanks.

I think grad school usually looks at your "last two years" whatever that may be.

It may depend on the school/program, but that's how mine was. They wanted completion of a bachelor's degree as well.

I don't think any grad school would completely disregard it. Most grad schools don't have detailed descriptions of their admissions criteria like med schools do. They just kind of look at everything, but they really focus on your research skills. If you take an extra year of classes, they'll look at your grades in them, but they'll probably base their decision mostly on other things. Grades help and need to be good, but they're not the thing that gets you in.

The fact that you took extra classes will help your application more than your grades in them. The more classes you take in your field of study, the more prepared for grad school you look, especially if some of the classes are grad-level. So if you think you can do as well in these classes as you've been doing in the rest of your undergrad (so you don't lower your gpa for when med school), then I think you should keep the grades.

I think grad school usually looks at your "last two years" whatever that may be.

It may depend on the school/program, but that's how mine was. They wanted completion of a bachelor's degree as well.

Yeah, I just got my Bachelor's degree. But I'm thinking of doing another half a year at another university because of the job prospect and research position - so taking 5 courses, doing research and working (since the program at this university is connected to a huge company where you can work as a student, but if you're not a student, they can't connect you with them).

Auditing sounds like the safest way to go if your UG GPA is golden. I too am interested in other comments - very good question.

I wouldn't want to audit the courses because I know that this is my area and I can do very well in them. But if grad schools were to just disregard the courses, then I would just audit them and not bother "stressing" over marks.

I don't think any grad school would completely disregard it. Most grad schools don't have detailed descriptions of their admissions criteria like med schools do. They just kind of look at everything, but they really focus on your research skills. If you take an extra year of classes, they'll look at your grades in them, but they'll probably base their decision mostly on other things. Grades help and need to be good, but they're not the thing that gets you in.

The fact that you took extra classes will help your application more than your grades in them. The more classes you take in your field of study, the more prepared for grad school you look, especially if some of the classes are grad-level. So if you think you can do as well in these classes as you've been doing in the rest of your undergrad (so you don't lower your gpa for when med school), then I think you should keep the grades.

Okay. That's great. So if I take another half a year of courses relevant to Masters, they will look at these grades and count them in the last 20 courses I've taken, right? I know grades are not what gets you in. Hence why I decided to go to another university, do a research position relevant to masters I want to pursue and work in the field as well. So while I'm doing that I'm required to take at least 2 courses to be a student. I figured, why not just take 5 courses then (1/2 semester) and have another half a year of grades. Might as well.

Archived