Premed 101 Forums

OOP and MD/MBA

Guest rubberoduck

Guest rubberoduck

Hi. I'm doing my BSc degree at the University of Toronto. I was wondering, for those of you at McGill, whether you know anything about the MD/MBA program and how competitive it is for OOP students. The website only says a minimum of 30 on the MCAT and a competitive GPA (around 3.8 or so). But what is the realistic competitive score?

Basically

1. what is the competitive score for MCAT (besides 30+ and P? for writing sample?)? does McGill hold a cutoff for each subtest or just the wholistic score?

2. what is a competitive GPA for an OOP? how is it calculated? UofT works on a percentage scale with a GPA system out of 4.0. I saw some posts saying that McGill converts 90+ into a 4.3. Is that true?

3. the website offers only the stats for medicine (50 OOP applications and 5-7 acceptances). What is that number for MD/MBA? I read somewhere that there are only 5-7 people in the entire MD/MBA program.

Also, I have been having problems accessing Minerva to create an account for my application. The site keeps flashing my nothing comes out. This is the site I got

/poseidon.cc.mcgill.ca/pl..._langue=01

Does anyone know why it doesn't work?

Thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 months later...
Guest dandalex

Alright,

1. It is a wholistic score for the MCAT, and the 30+ is more or less artificial since I've met people with below 30 scores (mostly 29s). The average for the MCAT being in the low 30s (2003 was 31.63, 2004 was 30.33)

2. GPA average for everyone was for 2003, 3.63 and for 2004 3.60 for the accepted students. McGill works with a GPA scale of 4.0 (no A+ or A* here). The francophone universities of Quebec use the 4.3 sytem with A+ where a 90+ is an A+.

3. The number of MD/MBAs varies per year and per qualified applicants. Those of 2007 were 4, we of 2008 are 2 and those of 2009 are 3. I have asked this question to some of the people on the MBA side how they chose and why there were only two of us (were people not interested in the MD/MBA or something) but the number of applicant varies between 25 in 2003 to 30 in in 2004 for a max of 4-5 (varies) places (it used to be higher in the past).

However, if they feel that you do not fit the profile you might not be offered and admission in the MD/MBA program (they have no probleme offering the MD/MBA spots to MD candidates).

Also, there are some 300 OOPs applicants per year for the 5-7 OOPs spots which will include the OOPs allocated to the MD-MBA program (maxed at 5 MD/MBAs)

Of course, this does not really answer specifically for OOPs but bear in mind that OOPs constitute some 4% of each cohort and GPAs and MCATs are not reported separetly in the Admissions Commitee Report (for OOPs or US, just averaged out for everybody), which sucks considering that OOPs are the ones asking the most questions.

Hope some of the stuff helps,

AlexH.

MD/MBA 2008

Humph....seems my moderator tag is no longer showing off...and, I'm starting Med 1 again...ARRRGGGHHH!

Archived