Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa: Replacing clipboards with iPads?

^ have you used one?

No but i can imagine and read that:

-hard to type stuff into it (basically like a giant hard to hold iphone)

-not as fast as a computer so limited use for running medical programs

-aluminum backing will make it slide when you put it down to type.

-slower then writing something on a pad of paper.

I would say it would be cheaper and more effective if they maybe substidized a smart phone like the iphone or something if they studyed that hospital efficiency increased by allowing doctors to pull up charts or something on their iphone (and i think they cost ~200$ now? I don't know)But i would say that with all the lack of money to go around it would be completely stupid to issue ipads to everyone unless they are 100% sure that it will save them money or save more lives and is not just some gimmic to make Ottawa look cool and all technological. Do think it is useful? I can't believe they didn't invest money to create a device that remotely connect to a computer. So they could basically build a light weight screen that you can write on and do everything on without carrying the computer around with you but just have a nearby computer.

While I endorse the idea of embracing technology I wish they'd waited a bit for the tablets. A range of tablets will be releasing in the next three quarters, all competitively priced and naturally lower priced than the ipad. They could've saved some $$$. But Apple tends to win in terms of battery life so this may be a good decision overall.

isnt that exactly what an ipad is?

No! why don't you guys read some reviews or actually try one out. Typing on an iphone is much easier then on a 10inch ipad. You have to hold it with one hand and then type with the other. Wow thats alot easier than using a pen and paper.

ignorant people are ones who judge the utility of something without ever using it

This is generally true, although I suppose you could get a pretty good idea of the utility of a device given enough information and detailed reviews.

Wow you're pretty ignorant! People like you are the ones that make Apple successful by buying overpriced crap that looks pretty.

Regardless, the (highly coveted!) CIO of a major university teaching hospital had decided to adopt the iPad to replace traditional clipboards, so who are you to say otherwise?

Wow you're pretty ignorant! People like you are the ones that make Apple successful by buying overpriced crap that looks pretty.

Right, because Apple Inc., is only successful because they release aesthetically-appealing and overpriced products. :rolleyes:

That's probably the more ignorant comment...

Regardless, the (highly coveted!) CIO of a major university teaching hospital had decided to adopt the iPad to replace traditional clipboards, so who are you to say otherwise?

So we should never question anybody who is in power or b/c of their track record they won't screw up in the future? If you guys read or watch any reviews on the ipad and they will tell you that it is not worth the 500$ price tag. http://geekdoctor.blogspot.com/2010/04/ipad-goes-live-at-bidmc.html

"I am a little concerned about how well it will hold up in a clinical environment, particularly the abuse it will get in the ER. The case is very smooth and the rounded bottom makes it easy for it to slide out of a hand or off a table. I don't get the feeling it will be as forgiving of drops as some better padded (albeit heavier) devices. I'm hoping someone will create a case that has a hand strap on the back (like the Panasonic MCA has). "

Maybe you don't have to use something to know about a product. I still think that the newer tablets will be better and they should wait a bit.

So we should never question anybody who is in power or b/c of their track record they won't screw up in the future?

No, of course not! But...

If you guys read or watch any reviews on the ipad and they will tell you that it is not worth the 500$ price tag.

...whether or not you feel it is fiscally irresponsible is a different issue than whether or not it's implementation will be benificial to the hospital.

I think someone like the CIO (in conjunction with the staff), is in a good position to judge the utility of technological devices in the workplace.

So we should never question anybody who is in power or b/c of their track record they won't screw up in the future? If you guys read or watch any reviews on the ipad and they will tell you that it is not worth the 500$ price tag. http://geekdoctor.blogspot.com/2010/04/ipad-goes-live-at-bidmc.html

"I am a little concerned about how well it will hold up in a clinical environment, particularly the abuse it will get in the ER. The case is very smooth and the rounded bottom makes it easy for it to slide out of a hand or off a table. I don't get the feeling it will be as forgiving of drops as some better padded (albeit heavier) devices. I'm hoping someone will create a case that has a hand strap on the back (like the Panasonic MCA has). "

The section you quoted is the one of two (non-facetious) caveats in an otherwise praiseworthy and "thumbs up" review.

For example: "I tested it today during my shift in the ER. Initial tests with our clinical applications went amazingly well..."

Also worth mentioning is that the author writes that "...its surprisingly easy to type on the on screen keyboard. I wouldn't call it "touch typing" but the autocorrection fixes almost all of the typos that are introduced when I just let my fingers fly."

Doesn't that contradict your point about it being "hard to type stuff into it"?

The point I'm trying to make is that the implementation of new technology, especially in the health care setting, is bound to have some bumps in the road; however, you should have an optimistic outlook since this is a much needed step in the right direction. :)

I think someone like the CIO (in conjunction with the staff), is in a good position to judge the utility of technological devices in the workplace.

I hope so. I'm just saying that the article sounded as if the hospital was in this sort of frenzy to become more hi tech. I'm just commenting that there could be some potential problems associated with ipads that hopefully they thought of. Ie. as i posted before, they slide easily, people want them= maybe stolen if a doctor puts it down or something like, entering passwords and codes can be hard using the keyboard...But hopefully its for the better and i hope its the right decision.

...I'm just saying that the article sounded as if the hospital was in this sort of frenzy to become more hi tech. I'm just commenting that there could be some potential problems associated with ipads that hopefully they thought of. Ie. as i posted before, they slide easily, people want them= maybe stolen if a doctor puts it down or something like, entering passwords and codes can be hard using the keyboard...

Duly noted! :)

...But hopefully its for the better and i hope its the right decision.

Without a doubt: introducing technology to make the delivery of health care more efficient, can only be viewed as a positive notion.

Yikes! Some ridiculous people up in this ish!

1) Re: your concern about the iPad sliding around because it's smooth & rounded on the back: there will be cases similar to the iPhone, particularly the Roots tough rubber cases. That should give it some traction and sturdiness.

2) Re: your concern about writing being faster: I will bet my house that within one year there will be an app that allows you to write on the screen and converts it to a text document. There's already one for the iPhone. It wouldn't be hard to make a little pen to work with it -- you can write on the iPod touch with a banana, so worst case scenario, keep some fruit in your pocket.

3) The iPad hasn't been proven worthwhile for personal consumer use yet, but it seems like it would be very useful in clinical practice. Here are some examples:

a) An app that allows you to monitor the output on all ventilators in the hospital. I'm down in emerge and I see that a patient in the ICU is high pressure cycling their vent and their sat is dropping a little, I know I probably need to go up there to check it out.

B) Live ECG tracings and vital signs for pts a doc is covering.

c) Hospitals can build their own best practices guildelines and put that into a searchable app or onto a website.

d) The internet is your friend.

4) However, specifically regarding TOH, they should probably focus on fixing up the civic campus before they invest in high technology.

Yikes! Some ridiculous people up in this ish!

1) Re: your concern about the iPad sliding around because it's smooth & rounded on the back: there will be cases similar to the iPhone, particularly the Roots tough rubber cases. That should give it some traction and sturdiness.

2) Re: your concern about writing being faster: I will bet my house that within one year there will be an app that allows you to write on the screen and converts it to a text document. There's already one for the iPhone. It wouldn't be hard to make a little pen to work with it -- you can write on the iPod touch with a banana, so worst case scenario, keep some fruit in your pocket.

3) The iPad hasn't been proven worthwhile for personal consumer use yet, but it seems like it would be very useful in clinical practice. Here are some examples:

a) An app that allows you to monitor the output on all ventilators in the hospital. I'm down in emerge and I see that a patient in the ICU is high pressure cycling their vent and their sat is dropping a little, I know I probably need to go up there to check it out.

B) Live ECG tracings and vital signs for pts a doc is covering.

c) Hospitals can build their own best practices guildelines and put that into a searchable app or onto a website.

d) The internet is your friend.

4) However, specifically regarding TOH, they should probably focus on fixing up the civic campus before they invest in high technology.

I know about all those usefull apps cuz i was reading about them but you say that within a year an app will come out for the pen thing why not wait and buy the ipads later. Whats the rush? New technology is always overpriced.

Tech reviews say that about all Apple products.

There are reasons for that.

Apple products are successful regardless.

There are reasons for that too.

Regardless, some comments in this thread are unnecessary. I have no interest in Apple's products myself (my chief interest lying in their very extended battery life) but the ipad is most certainly not a piece of ****. As already suggested, I don't really see it being of much use to the average consumer who has a laptop and smartphone already but I can see it's potential in healthcare.

As such, it may have been more prudent to await other tablets for financial reasons.

Archived