Premed 101 Forums

Line of Credit Options NEW INFO

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I signed an LOC for less than 150K, and aftering reading everyone else's experiences, I will most likely be cancelling... will the cancellation affect my credit rating?

Shouldn't as your total loan amount available will rise so the ratio of debt to max debit will rise rather than fall, and the other loc was not open along enough to count towards the long term holding part of the credit score calculation.

Hey, for those with MDM, I had a quick question.

Do you guys have a chequing account + LOC, or just the LOC

On their website, it says the LOC is a fully transactional account (which sounds amazing). Just wanted to clarify (not going to switch from RBC, but nonetheless, it is good to note for others)

---

Right now, I'm using 3 different banks (RBC for LOC, PCF for free cheques and the ability to move $$ between institutions online and for free, and Scotia because I've been with them forever and have tons of cheques from them). I wish PCF offered a medical school LOC, lol

An alternative for me would be to haggle my original bank for more money. How did all of you get 200K? Did the rep ask for a estimated cost of attendance budget sheet from the school? Because mine did, and only gave me $120K. That's it! How did you guys pull off $200K?

As a side note: I got the impression that my rep didn't know what she was doing... Who's the "go-to" person for medical LOCs for TD Bank in London, ON.?

An alternative for me would be to haggle my original bank for more money. How did all of you get 200K? Did the rep ask for a estimated cost of attendance budget sheet from the school? Because mine did, and only gave me $120K. That's it! How did you guys pull off $200K?

As a side note: I got the impression that my rep didn't know what she was doing... Who's the "go-to" person for medical LOCs for TD Bank in London, ON.?

Where do you bank?

I went in to talk to RBC this week, and they automatically helped me apply for a 200K, even though the cost breakdown I gave her approximated 40k for three years. With that said, this one will last till the end of residency/fellowship - and that is probably the reason why the advisor mentioned it would probably be the 200k.

In my orientation package I just got, I did get a pamphlet from TD about their LOC (200k as well) - they also have contact information for a TD branch closest to mac. I assume they will have a financial advisor at the branch closest to UWO. However, I spoke to TD prior to going to RBC (since I did my banking there previously) - and it seems they don't have official designated med student advisors at other branches. Most of the acct managers will have no idea what to do - and insist on cosigners/collateral/lower limits/bad deals. Try going to the branch closest to UWO and see if their offer is any different. If not, I really suggest taking your LOC to somewhere else.

The Bank of Canada has just raised it's interest rate. This will likely have the effect in the very near future of raising the prime rate, which will have a ripple effect upon med student borrowing costs.

From what little I know, we can expect prime to increase steadily over the course of our education. The 2-2.5% rate is really uncharacteristically low, as they attempted to keep the economy flowing during the recession. So, we should probably be happy we even caught a glimpse of such low rates, and not expect them to stick around forever.

From what little I know, we can expect prime to increase steadily over the course of our education. The 2-2.5% rate is really uncharacteristically low, as they attempted to keep the economy flowing during the recession. So, we should probably be happy we even caught a glimpse of such low rates, and not expect them to stick around forever.

I think you are quite right - we are going to have to be prepared for higher costs in the future. Still not much to complain about really I guess :)

Speaking of which: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/mark-carney-hikes-rates-but-cuts-outlook/article1645785/. Should we be expecting the banks to increase their prime rates by 0.25% in the next couple of days?

Speaking of which: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/mark-carney-hikes-rates-but-cuts-outlook/article1645785/. Should we be expecting the banks to increase their prime rates by 0.25% in the next couple of days?

absolutely - pretty much a one to one relationship there. It makes sense if you know what the bank of canada rate actually means and who they loan money to (ie other banks)

Archived