Premed 101 Forums

My First Year at York University

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow THANKS! I feel so much better knowing that now. Would you say it is similar to Grade 12 Chem?

Im guessing the guy i was talking to was not really good at chem in highschool!

A lot of it is review (for the first half)

And even if it isn't, the textbook is pretty good. Read over the examples, write out the examples, do the problem sets, do extra problems, etc...

It is honestly not bad at all. Some concepts need more understanding than memorization, but overall, it isn't that difficult to get an A (i.e. 80%+)

A lot of it is review (for the first half)

And even if it isn't, the textbook is pretty good. Read over the examples, write out the examples, do the problem sets, do extra problems, etc...

It is honestly not bad at all. Some concepts need more understanding than memorization, but overall, it isn't that difficult to get an A (i.e. 80%+)

unless you skip a lab like me :(

how could i've been so stupid in first year lol

so make sure you understand how to read the lab schedule!

Oh another piece of advice for CHEM1000, don't take it with pietro. Although, hes really good at teaching, his tests are hard and tend to be really long. Def not an easy A with him.

Nice advice guys.

So let me get this straight:

1) Do homework/examples/reading/etc

2) No skipping classes or labs

Hmm i checked out ratemyprof.com and looked at the comments on the three teachers teaching CHEM1000 and apparently, pietro is the best. The teachers are hastie, morin and pietro. The only thing that seemed negative about pietro is that his first test was killer.

:)

Did all of you guys go to York as well?

Nice advice guys.

So let me get this straight:

1) Do homework/examples/reading/etc

2) No skipping classes or labs

Hmm i checked out ratemyprof.com and looked at the comments on the three teachers teaching CHEM1000 and apparently, pietro is the best. The teachers are hastie, morin and pietro. The only thing that seemed negative about pietro is that his first test was killer.

:)

Did all of you guys go to York as well?

From my experience and that of close friends both Hastie and Pietro were TOUGH! I already have my opinions about Hastie posted but Pietro did have a really hard first test from what I know. I think the advice other people gave you is correct, Know how to read the lab schedule as labs are huge mark boosters so don't miss them!(easy 20% boost to your overall mark) I would also say Shannn is probably really smart as Chem is not as easy as he puts it to be =p.

I would also say Shannn is probably really smart as Chem is not as easy as he puts it to be =p.

LOL jee THANKS! :| :S

Are you still at York, Greyhound?

I just went there for the Enrollment Appointments. It's really BIG. I got lost like 10 times!

And i saw a beaver :D

Everyone was really nice and willing to help out. I cant wait for next year!

haha yea I am there next year for my 2nd year ! It seems big, but you'll realize soon enough that all the science buildings are concentrated on the west side of campus and everything is actually really close together! =) and are you sure you didn't see a ground hog? lmfao also be wary of the squirrels...

haha yea I am there next year for my 2nd year ! It seems big, but you'll realize soon enough that all the science buildings are concentrated on the west side of campus and everything is actually really close together! =) and are you sure you didn't see a ground hog? lmfao also be wary of the squirrels...

Yeah, thats one thing I like about york... all the buildings are close and sorta connected

From my experience and that of close friends both Hastie and Pietro were TOUGH! I already have my opinions about Hastie posted but Pietro did have a really hard first test from what I know. I think the advice other people gave you is correct, Know how to read the lab schedule as labs are huge mark boosters so don't miss them!(easy 20% boost to your overall mark) I would also say Shannn is probably really smart as Chem is not as easy as he puts it to be =p.

shannn you say everything is easy LOL,

I WISH I could believe you, but you might be intellectually superior to others :mad:

good for you tho :D

Things are not easy, they just aren't difficult if you put in the work, that's all :)

Oh another piece of advice for CHEM1000, don't take it with pietro. Although, hes really good at teaching, his tests are hard and tend to be really long. Def not an easy A with him.

Did you take this in the 08/09 school year, because I did and I definitely agree that it is a really hard course with this prof.

I'm taking that in sept! am hoping that queens will take it as my physical science prereq, lol. the class isn't open to people who have taken the real chem classes though soo maybe it will be easier?

Hey Captain,

How do you know they will accept this course as a Physical Science requirement? Since Physical Science is just Physics and Chemistry, I doubt that they will count it as a pre-req because of two things:

1. This is a NATS course and not a science course lol

2. This course is based on chem only

But anyway, how do we check whether a certain course will satisfy a med school course requirement? Is there a list? or do we have to call them?

D

I just went there for the Enrollment Appointments. It's really BIG. I got lost like 10 times!

If you're really lucky, you'll get to see a fox too! :)

I see foxes at York all the time, but of a different variety

In my 2nd year at York, I got to know 2 models and got pretty close with them, one of them was running for Miss Canada :D Haven't kept in touch with them though, unfortunately.

You see... I never understood that. I have met some pretty girls at York but I have also seen TONS of...... Seriously... Pretty on the outside, but stupid on the inside. :rolleyes:

Just to add to that: if you struck her with a brick, she wouldn't know what you struck her with.

I thought there were approx 25,000 beavers on campus?