Premed 101 Forums

help needed with 3rd year UWO course

Damn, that course sounds bruuuuuutal. 3 hours every week, whole year AND only counts for .5.

Yah, that's what discouraged me from taking it, but I hear it's really not that bad. Also, both final exams (december and april) are before the exam period starts, so you'll always only have 5 exams or less, although I think the final exams are really close to the exam period so I'm not sure that makes much of a difference.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi~ how many basic medical science courses did you take in 3rd year( i remmeber 3.0 credit is recommended) and how do you find the course load?

Out of the two physiology courses, I would suggest taking 3120 (the human one) it's a full course.

If you're planning on going into any fourth year physiology courses, you absolutely need cell physiology

If you're planning on going into honors specialization physiology, you need to take the 0.5 course but full year lab course. I didn't take it but I've heard some good stuff about it. I spoke to some profs and they told me that, while the lab is needed, you may be able to take some of the 4th year courses that require the lab course with permission from the department. (that's if you don't have the lab course - like me)

I didn't take human biochem but I was warned against biochem - i was going to do biochem and physiology but people told me biochem at western is very tough. Clinical is the easiest that I've heard of. I'd recommend taking clinical.

Immunology is great but be ready to memorize the most pointless stuff. For me this was the toughest part of the course, it's the pointless names of proteins and cell markers and all of that crap that made me resent the course at times. That being said, it's not a tough course so you'll probably do well.

Take pharm 2060. It really will help bump your mark up.

I would take the anatomy I was talking about, especially if you're planning on going into med as I've heard it helps a lot with 1st year anatomy.

Realize that in order to graduate under the medical science module, you need to take within your 3rd and 4th year:

2.0 courses of one discipline ---> (for example, mine will be physiology)

2.0 courses of a mixture of other disciplines (or just a different discipline) ---> (that are NOT your first (so mine are 1.0 in pharm (two courses) 0.5 in immunology, 0.5 in biochemistry)

1.0 courses of ANYTHING within the medical sciences ---> so an extra 1.0 in physiology or 0.5 phys with 0.5 something else, etc.

and 1.0 lab course from 4th year - aka medical science labs

ALSO - to apply to western med, you need to have the 60% rule where 60% of your courses are from your year. for example, 3.0/5.0 3000 level courses if you're from 3rd year. ----> correct me if i'm wrong

as for bird courses, I highly recommend taking Earth Sciences 2240 - the online course.

Be careful of the 4th year courses you open yourself up to because some of them might not sound too good to you. For example, a course based completely on neurophysiology sounds HORRIBLE to me.

Check the prerequisites for 4th year courses to make sure you can take what you want. Medical science module students often find that they don't have the prereqs for their 4th year courses of choice because they spread out their course choice in 3rd year.

Hey Anderson which module did you end up finishing in or are currently doing?

I'm in honors specialization medical science going into 4th year. I didn't want to specialize in anything specific. I wanted to give myself the opportunity to take any of the medical science courses... and I didn't want to do the thesis.

hi~ how many basic medical science courses did you take in 3rd year( i remmeber 3.0 credit is recommended) and how do you find the course load?

I took 3.5 basic medical science courses. I would have taken more but I needed to get my arts requirement satisfied so I took a full year course in the arts and humanities. The course load was tough at times but overall I thought it wasn't bad. I would have taken anatomy if I didn't have to take my arts credit.

so can you share your exact schedule in 3rd year? cuz i m goin into med sci as well~~really appreciate your help

I'm in honors specialization medical science going into 4th year. I didn't want to specialize in anything specific. I wanted to give myself the opportunity to take any of the medical science courses... and I didn't want to do the thesis.

I took 3.5 basic medical science courses. I would have taken more but I needed to get my arts requirement satisfied so I took a full year course in the arts and humanities. The course load was tough at times but overall I thought it wasn't bad. I would have taken anatomy if I didn't have to take my arts credit.

I took this course! Does Dr. Stillman still teach it? It was a great course. He is a funny guy, and his lectures are really interesting. His lecture notes leave a bit to be desired (kinda disorganized), but that being said, I didn't find the course that hard at all (ended with 95 I think), and would really recommend it!

Anyone familiar with Enviromental Chem 2110?

• 3 weeks later...
is pharm 2060 only an online course? There is no way I could take it on campus?

I was gonna go for Pharm 3500, but it s a first half course...and my physiology and immunology are both first half courses...which gives me an extremely unbalanced schedule...

2060 is only an online course. Even if you could take it on campus, why would you? No class means you can learn when ever is best for you.

3560 sucked, I hated it. I never took 3550 because I took 2060 and I heard it was quite a lot harder than 2060 so I'd suggest taking 2060.

Hope that helps

By the way, my schedule was:

1st semester: Pharm 3560, Immunology 3300 (i think that's the course), Phys 3120, Phys 3140, elective credit

2nd semester: Phys 3120, Pharm 2060, clinical biochem, earth science, elective credit

I would have to say first semester was much tougher but I survived it, you'll be fine.

2060 is only an online course. Even if you could take it on campus, why would you? No class means you can learn when ever is best for you.

3560 sucked, I hated it. I never took 3550 because I took 2060 and I heard it was quite a lot harder than 2060 so I'd suggest taking 2060.

Hope that helps

1st semester: Pharm 3560, Immunology 3300 (i think that's the course), Phys 3120, Phys 3140, elective credit

2nd semester: Phys 3120, Pharm 2060, clinical biochem, earth science, elective credit

I would have to say first semester was much tougher but I survived it, you'll be fine.

thanks!

then my schedule would be

first semester

systemic anatomy 3319, immunology 3300, physio 3120,physio 3140, physio lab 3130Y and human sexuality 2075

second semester

anatomy, pharm 2060, physio 3120, physio lab 3130Y, human sexuality 2075.

Hope that helps

and also, online course is treated the same way as regular courses right?

( in terms of calculating GPA..and fullfilling full course load etc)

and also, online course is treated the same way as regular courses right?

( in terms of calculating GPA..and fullfilling full course load etc)

Yes, if you're in a BMSc degree then 2060 will actually count as 0.5 courses toward your degree. For instance, if you're in Medical Sciences module then you require 2.0 from one discipline, 2.0 from a mixture of others that don't include your first, and 1.0 from anything.

2060 can count toward those requirements for pharmacology discipline.

Just make sure that by the end of your degree you have 2.0 from one discipline and 2.0 from a mixture NOT in your first discipline. I'm using physiology as my first 2.0, then pharm 3560, 2060, biochem, and microbio are my 2.0 from anything else, then my 1.0 will be anatomy but it can also be any physiology courses I'm taking in 4th year.

Hope that's not too confusing. Next year I'll let you guys know what I took and what to avoid and stuff for 4th year, although you'll have to catch me drunk for another in depth explanation like my 3rd year one.

Cheers

I have heard conflicting things again about pharm 2060.

Is it really an easy course that you would highly recommend?

Thanks!

I guess it depends on who you're speaking to. It's pharmacology for nursing there's a section for BMSc, UWO nursing, and Fanshawe nursing. When I came out of the final exam, most the BMSc-ers seemed to find it easy, the nursing students seemed to find it tougher. That's not suggesting that BMSc students are smarter but that may be the source of where you're hearing conflicting opinions. Generally, I found that the course was one of the easier courses, I didn't do too much work in it and ended with a 92. The quizes were easy, you could look up the answers if you didn't know them, but most of the time you didn't need to. I studied for the midterm for a week and got 2 questions wrong (96 i think) and for the final I studied the day before because I was concerned about phys 3120. I obviously went down but it didn't matter to me because it's still a 4.0.

I'd recommend the course to anyone but make sure that you do keep up with the work. I didn't keep up with the readings in the second half and my marks dropped because of that.

I think the average for 2060 was around an 80 and that's pretty good for a large class.

If you can keep up with your courses in 3rd year and pull of the marks you want then this class won't be a problem. It will only raise your GPA

By the way, make sure you're doing consistently well in Phys 3120, the final right fcked me. I just scraped a 90 after going in with 93 and I'm almost positive that it was curved a lot. Not sure if this is true but I heard the average was around 50s (for the final).

Any ideas for a first term half course you guys? Going into second year with your general med sci courses

Earth science 1080 (I think that's the code).

It's an online course, really easy and if you like it you can take the 2nd year one next year to boost your GPA.

I also took physiology online, I don't remember the course code but it was easy and interesting and definitely helpful for phys 3120. It is a full year course though, but well worth the commitment.

Earth science 1080 (I think that's the code).

It's an online course, really easy and if you like it you can take the 2nd year one next year to boost your GPA.

I also took physiology online, I don't remember the course code but it was easy and interesting and definitely helpful for phys 3120. It is a full year course though, but well worth the commitment.

How was the difficulty of the exams?

Edit: Of the physiology course

hi everyone,

Yes i am a total noob but i've been creeping for a while and found this thread veyr helpful as i'm workingo nmy course registration right now. i'm just entering third year in honours spec for physio. i put up the requirements below just for reference.

Module

9.5 courses:

0.5 course: Biochemistry 2280A.

0.5 course: Chemistry 2213A/B.

0.5 course from: Biology 2244A/B, Statistical Sciences 2122A/B.

1.5 courses: Biology 2290F/G, 2382B, 2581B.

1.5 courses: Physiology 3120, 3130Y.

0.5 course: Physiology 3140A.

[ 1.0 course from: Anatomy and Cell Biology 3309, 3319, the former 329b, Biology 2471A/B, 2672A/B, or the former Biology 370b, Chemistry 2223B, Medical Biophysics 3302E, 3303E.]

2.0 courses from: Physiology 4420A/B, 4520A/B, 4610A/B, 4620A/B, 4630A/B, 4640A/B, 4650A/B, 4660A/B, 4670A/B, 4680A/B, 4690A/B, 4700A/B, 4710A/B, 4730B.

1.5 course: Physiology 4980E (Thesis = 1.5 courses).

^^^^ based on the requirements for an honours specialization physio, and considering the fact that i took chem 2223b in 2nd year i'm thinking it would be wise to take bio 2471b this year (3rd year) to fulfill the requirements i put the [] around - any suggestions?!

i just got an email today saying that physiology 3130Y is highly constrained and most spaces are reserved for physio modules..just wondering if I can't get into that course..what would be a good course( maybe a psy course?)

and also, i just saw online that we are required to take a half credit lab course prior to entering final year..anyone heard of this? any good course recommendations?

Hi all,

I'm going into third year honor specialization medical sciences. I currently need half credit essay course (considering that I will be taking 4900FG and 4930FG in fourth year) and also a full credit from the B category.

CATEGORY B

Arts and Humanities

Classical Studies, Comparative Literature and Culture, Film Studies, Italian Studies, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Speech, Theological Studies, Visual Arts History, Visual Arts Studio, Women's Studies, Writing**

Languages

Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish

Have you taken any easy (90+) half a credit essay course in category B? I'm thinking of getting both essay and B requirement over with in 3rd year, and preferably without an .5 essay credit overkill. Any suggestions?

as for UWOA249, i took 3503G, its a medical biophysics course, it was decent, the course is taught by 4 profs, everything is pretty easy except for the last prof who i found really confusing, his notes were kinda too imo

but ye, a definite 85+ imo

I'm heading into third year Honors Spec in Med sci, courses i plan to take are 3120, 3130, 3140...basically the 3 phsyios (2.0)

3240, 3245....pathology (1.0)

2075, sex psych (1.0)

as for the remaining 1.0, i still have no idea, from the previous posts, i gathered i might take the anatomy 3319 or even the earth sci course 2240 (tho i'm not a big essay fan) but ye, any other recommendations???

Archived