Premed 101 Forums

help needed with 3rd year UWO course

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have any comments/input regarding the medical biophysics courses, particularly

Medical Biophysics 3501F - Biophysics of Transport Systems

Medical Biophysics 3330F/G - Human & Animal Biomechanics

3330F/G looks similar to the Physics for Life Sciences offered in first year, according to the syllabus.

And 3501F looks to be heavily math based.

Also, I've noticed that some members suggest avoiding Pharmacology 3550, but suggest Intro to Toxicology 3560 to fill the Pharmacology credits alongside 2060A. Any thoughts?

I'm also considering the medical epidemiology course 3330B but there isn't any mention of it in the thread

Thanks in advance!

• 1 year later...

Does anybody know about the "completion of first year requirements" pre req for Earth Sciences 2240G? Does that mean as long as I completed 5.0 credits 1st year I can take this course? I thought before that you needed 0.5 from another Earth Sci course, did it change? Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

earth sci 2240 is definetly NOT a bird course. Avoid it if you can, it's highly subjective when it comes to the essays. Very few get over 80+ and you'll be lucky if you escape with a 70. The exams are filled with trick questions and it's hard to get help because it's an online course. Take this one only if you're willing to put in EXTRA EXTRA work and risk getting a low mark.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
old thread but does anyone know how hard physio 3120 will be without the 2nd year physio? it doesn't say it's a pre-req so i'm guessing they reteach..? what about pharm 3160 without the 2nd year pharm?

it's not bad but it's gonna be a challenge for you if you haven't taken 2nd year phys. There's A LOT of material because it's technically 2 course combined into one.

as for pharm 3160...not sure

Any idea if i can defer biostats to summer of 3rd year and stay in bmsc (particularly, leaning towards path/tox now, the only hard course seems to be path 3245)? Looks like i'm going to have to take physio in the summer while studying for my mcat, i'm not so sure about overloading full year physio with a full year stats course since i also have to write my mcat this summer.. :(

i believe biostats can be substituted for psych stats in the summer.

That is the only loop hole i know off at western.

Keep in mind that psych stats is a 1.0 course.

yes i heard 3245 was pretty difficult to do well in but not impossible

i would take psych stats in the summer and take phys 2130 in the school year online in your 3rd year

Any idea if i can defer biostats to summer of 3rd year and stay in bmsc (particularly, leaning towards path/tox now, the only hard course seems to be path 3245)? Looks like i'm going to have to take physio in the summer while studying for my mcat, i'm not so sure about overloading full year physio with a full year stats course since i also have to write my mcat this summer.. :(

I'm not really following with your plan, but all I can contribute to this is taking the MCAT and doing a summer course is a very bad idea in my opinion. Summer courses arent any easier...they are condensed, which makes it harder to manage time depending on the course, due to the load you gotta do everyday and you cant half-ass study the MCAT (If you arent sharp with topics on it - physics, physiology, etc.). I experienced that last summer.

Just my 2 cents, but you know ur self better, and u gotta do what u gotta do!

Does anyone know if an honors degree is still required for any medical schools? I know western doesn't require them anymore. I'm strongly considering doing a single major in a subject area (so no honors bachelors). It seems impossible for me to stay in bmsc without summer intersession courses (and i'm not willing to sacrifice my mcat for that)

This is what I've been looking into as well! I know Western doesnt care. You can even apply to few other schools before finishing your degree..Wouldn't it be much better and more flexible doing a single med sci. major?

actually considering it...

Hey man,

I just took biostats this semester in second year. It wasn't NEARLY as bad as people make it out to be. It was honestly a very well run, organized course. I really don't know why people hate the course so much. The labs and clickers are free marks, there's no reason why you shouldn't get 95+ for that 30% component of the course (I got 99.x%). The profs are pretty good too. The only bad thing about the course is the 20% midterm. The final was extremely fair, way more fair than biochem. If I recall correctly from your previous posts, you're a math buff. I myself really dislike numbers and math, I didn't take grade 12 data management, and I still came out of the course with a 93. I personally know 4 others who came out with 90+. The class average was 72, which is not low at all. I think you would do absolutely fine in the course, especially if you keep up with the work on a weekly basis.

Here were the class averages for first semester:

10% quiz: 73%

20% midterm: 65%

40% final: 64%

(no curving, western doesn't curve as you probably know already)

I would NOT take a full year of psych stats and waste a summer just to avoid biostats, not worth it at all imo.

Archived