Premed 101 Forums

help needed with 3rd year UWO course

I am going into 3rd year honour specialization in medical science at UWO.i know it is kinda early to start this process..but i just wanna get it over with..

since i m in the medical science module, i have to take courses from at least 2 modules..anyone can recommend 3000 level basic medical science courses?(

in terms of professor..exam format and such?) much help is appreciated

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok....

Physiology 3120 - full year course:

Started with Stavraky (i think that's the spelling) teaching the basics of cell function. He spent some time on membrane potential, muscles (including innervation and action potentials on a muscle cell), small amount on lymphatics, and obviously the basics required such as feedback, transport mechanisms, etc.

2nd unit: Neuro - I hated this unit but lots of people liked it. The prof was Hore - an australian dude with quite the attitude (loved himself)

We spoke about most of the main functions of the brain - motor, visual, auditory, basal ganglia, hypothalamus, sleep/wake, etc.

He also taught autonomic nervous system which comprised of a few lecutres (3 i think)

3rd unit: Renal - Anita Woods - just had a baby so I don;t know if she'll be bakc but she was entertaining to say at the least. As you might imagine, she taught mostly of the filtration and reabsorption mechanisms of the kidney

UNIT TEST - 15% - Hore got sick this year so we had Stav, half of Hore, and half of Woods - but i think that usually you'd have stav and hore for first exam

DECEMBER EXAM - 25% - covered all that was taught previously - not too bad an exam

4th was Cardio - can't remember the dude's name but he was indian. A little hard to understand but he was awesome. As you can imagine it was all about the heart - mostly the different cells, membrane potentials, the actual mechanism of heart contraction, and changes in heart rate and vasculature during stress/exercise

LOVED this unit btw - but that's personally my interest

5th was Repro - can't remember his name but he was Dutch - good unit, short and to the point. I enjoyed it but I didn't like the lung volumes. There's almost a whole unit on them... Tidal, reserve, etc. all really boring and annoying to remember how to derive them (although they're pretty easy to find if you know just a little)

UNIT TEST - 20% - covers only cardio and respiratory ONLY

6th was endocrine - Watson was our teacher. I loved her, she was interesting and informative. She made class worth going to, but her questions were tough!

Covered Neuro endo, andrenal gland, glucose homeostasis, diabetes mellitus (i know the two seem similar but they were two units), parathyroid, thyroid (sooo coool!), bone homeostasis (think it was with parathyroid - also really cool)... not sure if i forgot any

7th was Repro - Taught by an Australian dude (not Hore). It was interesting, but I didn't like it. Covered male, female, fertilization, and development of the foetus.

8th was Gastro - LOVED this unit, taught by Tepperman (I think he retired this year though)

I think each year varies but we learned about esophageal, stomach, pancreatic, and small intestinal physiology here. Very interesting, very interactive teacher. I'm not sure that it would be too interesting with another.

FINAL EXAM - 40% - KILLER - i didn't study for it too well, didn;t think that it would be too hard but it was. Full year cumulative

Either way, if you do well on the first three, you should pull off a 90 in the course with a small amount of effort - great course overall. I've also heard from friends in medschool that it is one of the most useful courses to them from undergrad.

Phys 3140 Cell physiology - First semester so I can't remember much. I did well in it but I heard it was really tough - i know a few people who didn't do too well. That being said, if you put in the effort, you can come out with a good mark.

First was electrophys - the prof was good. Can't remember much about what we learned right now but it had a lot to do with action potentials in cells(drunk!!!)

Second was neuro electrophys - electrophysics of action potentials in neurons (short SHORT unit)

UNIT TEST 50% - Average was 80 - first two units

Third was cell signalling - GPCR, TKRs, etc. Interesting and not too tough. BORING PROF!

I can't remember the fourth - sorry, but I liked the prof

FINAL - 60% - not too bad, actually brought my mark up quite a bit. Cumulative but much larger emphasis on final sections (about 85%)

Another was IMMUNOLOGY 3100a

VERY good course, loved all profs, taught a perfect introduction of immunology. Can't remember the specifics but the tests were 25, 25, 50 cumulative final.

In my opinion it was a bird course, easy 85 if not 90

more to come...

Ok...

Next would have to be Biochem 3560 (I think) clinical biochem. It wasn't hard by any means but the test is weird. 50 percent midterm, 50 percent final (non cumulative). Each lecture ends with a case study which makes you think that the midterm would be in that kind of format but it's not - the case studies are worth almost nothing when studying for the exams. Focus on nit-picky details and stuff.

Either way, it was a good course and i'd recommend it.

First teacher (Bhyana) covers is on myocardial infarction, hepatic disease, pancreatic disease, blood pH, and i think i'm missing one thing!

The second teacher is Dennis - he teaches endocrinology - similar to those covered in phys 3120.

The third teacher was Yang. She initially taught gel electrophoresis and serum protein levels (she comes back later!)

EXAM - 50 - not too bad but I should have done better. Got an 88

4th was Smith - he taught toxicology, drug therapeutic monitoring (instruments and methods of measuring serum levels of drugs, etc. and nutrition (i feel like i'm forgetting something but yah)

5th was Yang again - Back in action!!! Yang taught trace elements and essential elements. Good and interesting part of the course (but in my opinion myocardial infarction was the best (there's that heart again!!!) followed closely by hepatic disease))

6th was an indian guy (Prahb... something) - amazing and hilarious, told jokes all throughout the lectures. He spent most of his time talking about colon cancer, prostate cancer, and nutritional assessments i think.

FINAL - 50 - not too bad, again, should have done better, but I ended the course with over 90 - definitely take this course!

I heard that Anatomy was pretty good and easy - full year course but I didn't take it so i can't comment on it. Not the histology course, I'm talking about gross anatomy i think.

I took pharm 3160 - hated it, course was set up terribly. It was one of the two courses I got 80s in although my friends did better. I just hated it.

I took pharm online (2060) with Brad Urquhart. Amazing course, loved it. Easy as hell and, because it was online, I could work on it when ever i wanted.

I can't remember all the units (17 in total) but some included neuropharm (including Alzheimer's, Schizophrenia, Parkinson's, depression, etc), hypertension, diabetes, cancer, antibiotics, etc.

very interesting course. I can't remember the breakdown 10% quizes, 1 midterm, another final (cumulative). Both tests and quiz are 15% textbook and the rest was from the module (lectures)

Another course was Earth Science 2240 - catastrophic events in earths history - online course

Very interesting course, non cumulative final. 25% midterm, 25 final, 20 essay, 20 essay, 10 quizes. Don't get discouraged by the essays, they're easy!!! If you don't get over 90 in this course, you didn't try at all! It's marks for nothing. We covered plate tectonics, volcanoes, earthquakes, climate change, impacts from space, and extinctions. Amazing course, interesting, take it! enjoy it!

Also, those who are going into second or first year, take Earth Science 1080 (i think). It's by the same guy... Neil MacRae. He's awesome, nd these classes are DIRT easy.

That's all for now.

Enjoy

p.s. - please excuse any typos or grammatical errors... I'm drunk!

Systemic Anatomy! I think the course code is 3319.

Its a full yr course.

2 hrs a week (9:30-10:30) and 1 hr tutorial.

AMAZING course.

The material is basic anatomy and the profs are fair in their exams. They require the memorization but not minute details. Exams are NOT cumulative (thank heavens).

The tutorials/lab are great. Small groups with TAs and they have actual sections of the body. Smells really bad, but it's interesting! Each tutorial is finished with a quiz, easy 10 marks, and all of those count for 10% of your mark.

I'm going to have to disagree with the above posters with Immunology 3100a. I didn't think the profs were good at all, they were hard to understand due in part, to accents, this applies to all three of them. The exams were easy in the sense that you mostly just had memorize what was on the slides, but there were A LOT of memorization so I definitely wouldn't call it a bird course. Unless you have a photographic memory or smt I do not recommend cramming. This is just my opinion though

I agree with the post about clinical biochem, interesting (for the most part) and fairly straight forward. But again, don't cram, there are a lot of information.

I have heard good things about human biochemitry though apparently it's harder the clinical biochem?

Systemic Anatomy! I think the course code is 3319.

Its a full yr course.

2 hrs a week (9:30-10:30) and 1 hr tutorial.

AMAZING course.

The material is basic anatomy and the profs are fair in their exams. They require the memorization but not minute details. Exams are NOT cumulative (thank heavens).

The tutorials/lab are great. Small groups with TAs and they have actual sections of the body. Smells really bad, but it's interesting! Each tutorial is finished with a quiz, easy 10 marks, and all of those count for 10% of your mark.

I think that's the anatomy I was talking about. I'm forsure taking it next year, I heard from some people in medical school that it was really useful!

I second the above immunology recommendation, super interesting course and easy enough to do well in!

Did you take the 4th year immunology? I heard it was really tough so I'm not sure I want to take it.

Anyone got any suggestions for easy but interesting 4th year courses? I don't have any of the lab components so that limits me slightly.

Also has anyone taken the medical science labs in 4th year instead of thesis? How did you find it? I'm scared that the reports might bring down my average

Yep! I was in the micro/imm module so they were all required for me. 4th year imm is the WORST, highly recommend skipping it if you are able to do so.

The problem with the course is basically the first section. The prof is hard to follow and understand, he goes through things too fast, and it is just 100% memorizing signalling pathways. I was thankful to sneak by with a 70 on that exam. The second half gets better, you actually talk about how immunology applies to disease, and the exam is much easier. But overall, not worth the pain in my opinion.

Bacterial pathogenesis (sorry, can't remember course numbers for the life of me) was a really interesting 4th year course! Only thing is, you might have needed to take the 3rd year micro course to take it. Other than that, I don't have any exciting recommendations, since doing a thesis project + micro required courses basically took up all my options in 4th year.

Did you take the 4th year immunology? I heard it was really tough so I'm not sure I want to take it.

Anyone got any suggestions for easy but interesting 4th year courses? I don't have any of the lab components so that limits me slightly.

Also has anyone taken the medical science labs in 4th year instead of thesis? How did you find it? I'm scared that the reports might bring down my average

thanks for all your help! anyone else has any input? cuz i need to cover a few modules..so i would really appreciate if people from different modules could give some input

No other inputs on other modules as I was in Phys/Pharm, but I've been out of 3rd year for a year already. But I second the recommendation for 3rd year mammalian physiology. Anita Woods is off on maternity leave, but next year, the prof who usually teaches it. Dr. Graham Wagner is coming back from sabbatical. He's not bad. Brings candy to class to encourage class participation.

Stavraky taught me cardio in addition to the cell stuff, but he's one of my favourite profs in all of UWO. The guy that teaches repro is Tim Regnault. Great accent, really good guy, goes a little too fast to a lot of people's liking, but he really does care that you understand the stuff (that will require you to actually go talk to him though haha)

I did NOT like cell phys at all but it is so useful comes 4th year physiology.

The other course I really liked are the 2000 level Pathology courses. It's very tag-team taught, but the course coordinator is Gibson. It's a LOT of memorization and the class goes at a fairly brisk pace but it's very interesting, especially if you want to do med. The exams used to be killers but when I took it, they just revamped the course so it wasn't too bad. If anyone took it this year would like to give some input...

I also took two third year pharmacology courses (3560/3550): I liked them, but only after the fact. Again, lots of memorization of drug names, but it really helps you understand physiology concepts and you feel a lot smarter coming out the other end because you know about all these drugs. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Ahaha western is nice :D So pharm 2060 isn't that bad as people say? What about psych courses for bird courses good or bad?

Pharm 2060 is a great course. It wasn't tough at all but being an online course, you'll find that there's quite a hefty load of readings to do. That being said, for the final exam I didn't do any of the readings (just the modules) and I still ended the class with a 91.

I'd really suggest going for 2060 instead of the first semester tox class. I thought it was way too unorganized. Our first exam had about 5 - 10 repeat questions! I can't remember if they removed the repeats or not but on the test day they told us they wouldn't!

I heard Greek sports was fun and not too bad - I should have taken it instead of my "bird course" that ended up being terrible

Human sexuality was apparently a joke and a half (i think it's a psych course). A couple of my friends took it and did really well

Indeeeed. I took sex psych (aka. human sexuality) in 3rd year and breezed by with an easy 95. The class is a 3 hour night class once a week, and there are 4 non-cumulative midterms worth 25% each.

The only catches: you really have to go to all the classes/have a friend in the class to go for you if you want to get basically perfect on the exams. They play a movie or video of some sorts each class, and there will be a few questions on each midterm about the videos. (One class was on pregnancy and conception, and we watch a C-section. One of the girls in the class started hyperventilating and passed out at the sight of it, lol!)

Also, there is some textbook reading, and a few questions from the text on the midterms, but the material is such an easy read that it doesn't take too long. Highly recommend for an easy elective.

Pharm 2060 is a great course. It wasn't tough at all but being an online course, you'll find that there's quite a hefty load of readings to do. That being said, for the final exam I didn't do any of the readings (just the modules) and I still ended the class with a 91.

I'd really suggest going for 2060 instead of the first semester tox class. I thought it was way too unorganized. Our first exam had about 5 - 10 repeat questions! I can't remember if they removed the repeats or not but on the test day they told us they wouldn't!

I heard Greek sports was fun and not too bad - I should have taken it instead of my "bird course" that ended up being terrible

Human sexuality was apparently a joke and a half (i think it's a psych course). A couple of my friends took it and did really well

so would you recommend clinical or human biochemistry..or both?

and also, would you recommend cell physio more than human physio?

so i m thinking of choosing human/clinical biochemistry, anataomy,immunology,

one physioloy, 2060 pharmacology,and another 2.0 credits for bird courses..sound balanced and good?

Ok...

Next would have to be Biochem 3560 (I think) clinical biochem. It wasn't hard by any means but the test is weird. 50 percent midterm, 50 percent final (non cumulative). Each lecture ends with a case study which makes you think that the midterm would be in that kind of format but it's not - the case studies are worth almost nothing when studying for the exams. Focus on nit-picky details and stuff.

Either way, it was a good course and i'd recommend it.

First teacher (Bhyana) covers is on myocardial infarction, hepatic disease, pancreatic disease, blood pH, and i think i'm missing one thing!

The second teacher is Dennis - he teaches endocrinology - similar to those covered in phys 3120.

The third teacher was Yang. She initially taught gel electrophoresis and serum protein levels (she comes back later!)

EXAM - 50 - not too bad but I should have done better. Got an 88

4th was Smith - he taught toxicology, drug therapeutic monitoring (instruments and methods of measuring serum levels of drugs, etc. and nutrition (i feel like i'm forgetting something but yah)

5th was Yang again - Back in action!!! Yang taught trace elements and essential elements. Good and interesting part of the course (but in my opinion myocardial infarction was the best (there's that heart again!!!) followed closely by hepatic disease))

6th was an indian guy (Prahb... something) - amazing and hilarious, told jokes all throughout the lectures. He spent most of his time talking about colon cancer, prostate cancer, and nutritional assessments i think.

FINAL - 50 - not too bad, again, should have done better, but I ended the course with over 90 - definitely take this course!

I heard that Anatomy was pretty good and easy - full year course but I didn't take it so i can't comment on it. Not the histology course, I'm talking about gross anatomy i think.

I took pharm 3160 - hated it, course was set up terribly. It was one of the two courses I got 80s in although my friends did better. I just hated it.

I took pharm online (2060) with Brad Urquhart. Amazing course, loved it. Easy as hell and, because it was online, I could work on it when ever i wanted.

I can't remember all the units (17 in total) but some included neuropharm (including Alzheimer's, Schizophrenia, Parkinson's, depression, etc), hypertension, diabetes, cancer, antibiotics, etc.

very interesting course. I can't remember the breakdown 10% quizes, 1 midterm, another final (cumulative). Both tests and quiz are 15% textbook and the rest was from the module (lectures)

Another course was Earth Science 2240 - catastrophic events in earths history - online course

Very interesting course, non cumulative final. 25% midterm, 25 final, 20 essay, 20 essay, 10 quizes. Don't get discouraged by the essays, they're easy!!! If you don't get over 90 in this course, you didn't try at all! It's marks for nothing. We covered plate tectonics, volcanoes, earthquakes, climate change, impacts from space, and extinctions. Amazing course, interesting, take it! enjoy it!

Also, those who are going into second or first year, take Earth Science 1080 (i think). It's by the same guy... Neil MacRae. He's awesome, nd these classes are DIRT easy.

That's all for now.

Enjoy

p.s. - please excuse any typos or grammatical errors... I'm drunk!

so would you recommend clinical or human biochemistry..or both?

and also, would you recommend cell physio more than human physio?

so i m thinking of choosing human/clinical biochemistry, anataomy,immunology,

one physioloy, 2060 pharmacology,and another 2.0 credits for bird courses..sound balanced and good?

Out of the two physiology courses, I would suggest taking 3120 (the human one) it's a full course.

If you're planning on going into any fourth year physiology courses, you absolutely need cell physiology

If you're planning on going into honors specialization physiology, you need to take the 0.5 course but full year lab course. I didn't take it but I've heard some good stuff about it. I spoke to some profs and they told me that, while the lab is needed, you may be able to take some of the 4th year courses that require the lab course with permission from the department. (that's if you don't have the lab course - like me)

I didn't take human biochem but I was warned against biochem - i was going to do biochem and physiology but people told me biochem at western is very tough. Clinical is the easiest that I've heard of. I'd recommend taking clinical.

Immunology is great but be ready to memorize the most pointless stuff. For me this was the toughest part of the course, it's the pointless names of proteins and cell markers and all of that crap that made me resent the course at times. That being said, it's not a tough course so you'll probably do well.

Take pharm 2060. It really will help bump your mark up.

I would take the anatomy I was talking about, especially if you're planning on going into med as I've heard it helps a lot with 1st year anatomy.

Realize that in order to graduate under the medical science module, you need to take within your 3rd and 4th year:

2.0 courses of one discipline ---> (for example, mine will be physiology)

2.0 courses of a mixture of other disciplines (or just a different discipline) ---> (that are NOT your first (so mine are 1.0 in pharm (two courses) 0.5 in immunology, 0.5 in biochemistry)

1.0 courses of ANYTHING within the medical sciences ---> so an extra 1.0 in physiology or 0.5 phys with 0.5 something else, etc.

and 1.0 lab course from 4th year - aka medical science labs

ALSO - to apply to western med, you need to have the 60% rule where 60% of your courses are from your year. for example, 3.0/5.0 3000 level courses if you're from 3rd year. ----> correct me if i'm wrong

as for bird courses, I highly recommend taking Earth Sciences 2240 - the online course.

Be careful of the 4th year courses you open yourself up to because some of them might not sound too good to you. For example, a course based completely on neurophysiology sounds HORRIBLE to me.

Check the prerequisites for 4th year courses to make sure you can take what you want. Medical science module students often find that they don't have the prereqs for their 4th year courses of choice because they spread out their course choice in 3rd year.

as for bird courses, I highly recommend taking Earth Sciences 2240 - the online course.

Completion of first year requirements and a half course from Earth Sciences 1022A/B, 1023A/B, 1081A/B, 1083F/G, 1086F/G, 1088F/G, 1089F/G, 2123A/B, the former Earth Sciences 020, 082a/b, 085a/b, or co-registration in Earth Sciences 2200A/B.

I looked online and there are pre-reqs for this course (see above). Did you get special permission to take this course?

Completion of first year requirements and a half course from Earth Sciences 1022A/B, 1023A/B, 1081A/B, 1083F/G, 1086F/G, 1088F/G, 1089F/G, 2123A/B, the former Earth Sciences 020, 082a/b, 085a/b, or co-registration in Earth Sciences 2200A/B.

I looked online and there are pre-reqs for this course (see above). Did you get special permission to take this course?

I had the 1st year, maybe it's 1086. Sorry, didn't know you needed a prereq for that one.

Are you going into 3rd year? if not, take the 1086 one first

i saw for alot of 4th year physiology courses..a 3rd year physiology lab course is required..have you taken it? and how do you feel about that?

Thanks for all your valuable infomation~

Out of the two physiology courses, I would suggest taking 3120 (the human one) it's a full course.

If you're planning on going into any fourth year physiology courses, you absolutely need cell physiology

If you're planning on going into honors specialization physiology, you need to take the 0.5 course but full year lab course. I didn't take it but I've heard some good stuff about it. I spoke to some profs and they told me that, while the lab is needed, you may be able to take some of the 4th year courses that require the lab course with permission from the department. (that's if you don't have the lab course - like me)

I didn't take human biochem but I was warned against biochem - i was going to do biochem and physiology but people told me biochem at western is very tough. Clinical is the easiest that I've heard of. I'd recommend taking clinical.

Immunology is great but be ready to memorize the most pointless stuff. For me this was the toughest part of the course, it's the pointless names of proteins and cell markers and all of that crap that made me resent the course at times. That being said, it's not a tough course so you'll probably do well.

Take pharm 2060. It really will help bump your mark up.

I would take the anatomy I was talking about, especially if you're planning on going into med as I've heard it helps a lot with 1st year anatomy.

Realize that in order to graduate under the medical science module, you need to take within your 3rd and 4th year:

2.0 courses of one discipline ---> (for example, mine will be physiology)

2.0 courses of a mixture of other disciplines (or just a different discipline) ---> (that are NOT your first (so mine are 1.0 in pharm (two courses) 0.5 in immunology, 0.5 in biochemistry)

1.0 courses of ANYTHING within the medical sciences ---> so an extra 1.0 in physiology or 0.5 phys with 0.5 something else, etc.

and 1.0 lab course from 4th year - aka medical science labs

ALSO - to apply to western med, you need to have the 60% rule where 60% of your courses are from your year. for example, 3.0/5.0 3000 level courses if you're from 3rd year. ----> correct me if i'm wrong

Be careful of the 4th year courses you open yourself up to because some of them might not sound too good to you. For example, a course based completely on neurophysiology sounds HORRIBLE to me.

Check the prerequisites for 4th year courses to make sure you can take what you want. Medical science module students often find that they don't have the prereqs for their 4th year courses of choice because they spread out their course choice in 3rd year.

Indeeeed. I took sex psych (aka. human sexuality) in 3rd year and breezed by with an easy 95. The class is a 3 hour night class once a week, and there are 4 non-cumulative midterms worth 25% each.

The only catches: you really have to go to all the classes/have a friend in the class to go for you if you want to get basically perfect on the exams. They play a movie or video of some sorts each class, and there will be a few questions on each midterm about the videos. (One class was on pregnancy and conception, and we watch a C-section. One of the girls in the class started hyperventilating and passed out at the sight of it, lol!)

Also, there is some textbook reading, and a few questions from the text on the midterms, but the material is such an easy read that it doesn't take too long. Highly recommend for an easy elective.

I took the online version... even better... no class... and very few slides...

You had to make 1 decent post every 1-2 weeks to get a free 10% discussion mark, and as long as you read the whole textbook and studied it somewhat exam marks were gimmes.

Plus, it's pretty interesting stuff...

There was no pre-req when I took it.

i saw for alot of 4th year physiology courses..a 3rd year physiology lab course is required..have you taken it? and how do you feel about that?

Thanks for all your valuable infomation~

I didn't, but most people in my physiology classes did. They enjoyed it.

There are instances where you'd be able to get special permission to enroll in a fourth year course that requires the lab if you don't have it. just make sure you have over 80 in both 3120 and 3140 (I think - don't quote me on this, but I asked one prof and he said it should be fine)

Anita teaches renal now!? That's pretty awesome. I remember when she was a student. Heh, how time flies...

3rd unit: Renal - Anita Woods - just had a baby so I don;t know if she'll be bakc but she was entertaining to say at the least. As you might imagine, she taught mostly of the filtration and reabsorption mechanisms of the kidney

Does 3130y, the 0.5 credit, full year lab course count for your first semeseter time table or your second? Or can it count for either? Because I have 2.5 second and 2.0 first?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying completely but if I do then I think you're a little confused. The full year lab course is a full year. You'll have 6 courses in one of your semesters. Whether you have 6 courses in first semester or second depends on your course selection I think. So if you were to take a course offered for first or second, you could choose which semester you'd rather have 6 in.

Archived