Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Support Thread

I feel like I'm losing my mind a little bit with all the waiting that's been going on. Anyone else? Ottawa was the only school I interviewed at, and so I think it's making the wait even more excruciating for me.

How is everyone going to pass the time until the 27th (and beyond)? I'm going to work as much overtime as possible to keep myself occupied, and run and do yoga every day. Oh, and stress on pm101 of course.

And the good waitlist goes to roughly 200 right? It's AWFUL not knowing if you're number 1 or 200. *sigh*

I sincerley wish all the waitlisters the best of luck. This wait is hard and I feel your pain.

Chrail

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey chrail,

I'm in the same boat as you, only applied and interviewed at Ottawa and I've been good waitlisted. It's going to be really tough, but we've waited for months and I think a couple more weeks won't do us any harm. The reason I think a coulpe more weeks is because with this new policy, the majority of waitlist movement will occur after the firm acceptance deadline, so May 27th, onwards. I know that Toronto will be sending out more offers starting in the new week, and it's wierd that other schools aern't catching on. But, for all we know, we might even start hearing back this upcoming week. But don't worry!

Also, even if the waitlist does go to 200 or so, think about how many people will be withdrawing off the waitlist. For those of us waitlisted at only one school (and good waitlisted, at that), our names will move up the list faster.

I am in the same position, Ottawa was my only interview.

I called up Ottawa yesterday. She said that she most likely will be making waitlist offers after May 27, but it seemed as if she was not sure.

I also asked her if the lack of provisional acceptances would mean less waitlist movement compared to previous years. She laughed and said no because it just meant it would move quicker, although i really think it is impossible for anyone to predict with this being the first year.

Finally, I also asked her if the time you get the email is indicative of your ranking on the waitlist and she said no because they send out emails in batches although its really hard for me to believe that based on threads over the last two years. I feel like I am one of the last ones to be waitlisted having received the email at 9:22:19

This is driving me insane.

according to some past threads, it seems waiting lists go from 116/110 to 200, no?

I am in the same position, Ottawa was my only interview.

I called up Ottawa yesterday. She said that she most likely will be making waitlist offers after May 27, but it seemed as if she was not sure.

I also asked her if the lack of provisional acceptances would mean less waitlist movement compared to previous years. She laughed and said no because it just meant it would move quicker, although i really think it is impossible for anyone to predict with this being the first year.

Finally, I also asked her if the time you get the email is indicative of your ranking on the waitlist and she said no because they send out emails in batches although its really hard for me to believe that based on threads over the last two years. I feel like I am one of the last ones to be waitlisted having received the email at 9:22:19

This is driving me insane.

This is what i was referring to:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34032&page=3

"In the Uottawa info session, I think she said that they make the good waitlist up to #200 on the list of applicant excellence (or whatever they called it) Im not sure if this is the english section only (therefore 107 +97 good Waitlist) or both (about 140ish +60 good waitlist) Im hoping for the former!"

So it seems that waiting list #s go from #117-200, contrary to #1-#200. Does this make you feel a bit better, Chrail?

I went to the gym and came back to all these positive threads! You guys are awesome :)

joshb I actually found and read that post early this morning and was wondering if the waitlist numbers were like you had mentioned. This makes WAY more sense to me than having 200 people on the good list.

This should actually make us feel a lot better if this is indeed how the waitlist works. Still... you have to wonder if you're the 200th person...

I feel so much better that a few of us are in the same position. I'm strangely jealous that meandmeorme has exams to worry about in the next few weeks. I have a pretty cool and very busy job, but I've still been thinking about the waitlist almost every hour while I'm at work.

I hope we all get good news!

Hey OchoFisto,

I'm in the same boat. I got the email in my school email at 0913hrs (gmail host server), but the time stamp on the email is 0922hrs (weird). I think most people have this, and I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think we're being paranoid.

Also, I didn't like how on the .ca site guests could post - I feel like there was some misinformation presented in the Ottawa forums on that site about the timing of emails.

So far all I have done today is work out, make muffins, eat muffins, nap, and then watch Minority Report (gawd Tom Cruise is a wanker...). Thank goodness I work shift work and work tonight or else I think I would slowly be losing my mind.

Anyone have some good ideas to help pass the time?

hi guyz

what do you mean by "stamped time"?

I received the e-mail to my hotmail account and once I opened it, there was no time in the e-mail itself but just the "sent" section underneath "from" read 9:13...is this what you are referring to?

Hi joshb,

I freaking hate hotmail. It always messes with times and I find that time stamps are always wrong. Even the day is wrong sometimes!

There's no time in my email either. But, on the day I got it, my gmail account recorded the time I actually recieved it (0913). But, now that it only tells me the day I received the email, I have to click on the "detalis" section of my email. In here it tells me that it was recieved at 0922 (when Ottawa "sent" it).

I'm guessing that the computer program was to send it all out at 0922, but some went out a bit early. No biggie.

I just logged into my hotmail account to see about time stamps. My boyfriend emailed me about an hour ago (I know because he called to tell me he was sending something), but the time stamp says he sent it at 8pm tonight. So, either my boyfriend can send emails from the future, or hotmail's time stamping just sucks.

I hope that helped a little.

haha sweet!

you are special to get an e-mail from the future!!

past threads had mentioned something about time stamping and wait-list priorities (as in last year, those received 9:01 got off the list first, then 9:02 etc etc) thus a reason why i was sorta paranoid about time stamping and such

i guess it won't matter much more than!!!

thanx :)

yea i think it is....I looked into my details of my email (I didn't know I could...) and it said it was sent from the uottawa server at 9:13am and thats when my Blackberry received it but my email account says I received it at 9:22am....so I don't think we should read into this time of sent emails too much....

Okay, that's good to hear. What does everyone think about the new provisional acceptance and how it will affect good waitlisted people? In previous years, Ottawa did not get through the entire good waitlist and other years, they even dipped into the bad waitlist. What are people's thoughts on this year with the new policy? Do you think it will increase movement, same, or less? How do you think it affects those with only one waitlist spot at Ottawa?

I hope I explain this right, but in earlier admission cycles, people were able to provisionally accept a school if they were waitlisted at another school in hopes of getting off the waitlist. So, for example, say Bob was accepted at school A but waitlisted at school B. Bob could provisionally accept A until the two week deadline, and still wait out for an acceptance at school B until a few weeks after.

In our cycle now, there are no more provisional acceptances. On May 27th, if you were offered an acceptance at a school, you have to either accept or decline that offer. Doing so will remove you from all other waitlists and acceptances.

Hope that makes sense! :confused:

Archived