Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Support Thread

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mr. Nash

if anyone on the waitlist gets an offer, can you share it here, so we know when the waitlist is starting to move? thanks.

I'd be happy to post if and when the time comes.

So far it seems like there's at least 10 people who were accepted and declined in favour of another school, or who dropped off the good waitlist for another acceptance. I know this isn't a representative sample of the entire list - but, so far it's looking good for us waitlisters.

Mr. Nash - can we assume that you are on the good waitlist too?

Does anyone know if Ottawa will let people know before the 27th? (Like Toronto)? I have a feeling we're not going to hear anything before the 28th at the earliest.

From the looks of it, Ottawa doesn't seem to send out offers until the first week of June, which wouldn't make sense since they may end up losing some of their best waitlist candidates to schools like UT which send them out earlier.

panda_eyes... I think I read that you have another acceptance as well (not sure which school though). If Ottawa doesn't move the waitlist before the 27th, it's a little unfair to you if Ottawa is your top pick.

However, (not to single you out of course), those of us with no acceptances still wish we had them somewhere.. and don't feel as bad for those who already have one in their back pocket.

I know the lack of provisional acceptance this year is a bit wonky - and I know people are divided on if it's "fair" or not. But, I think it's ridiculously unfair if one or two schools move their lists before the 27th if others aren't going to. People keep posting that Toronto will be moving their list as the offers are refused... which makes me believe that the other schools will have to do this as well (ie Ottawa will move the list before the 27th).

When I called up Ottawa on Friday and asked if there would be waitlist movement before May 27, she said most likely not but she said she was unsure.

they came in waves last year... every two weeks until roughly the start of august... that was last year... things may change

AAHHH....

I just read in the UofT forum that UofT over accepts applicants to fill their original 250 seats. So, those on the waitlist are actually further from being called up.

But, my understanding is that Ottawa doesn't do this, and that the initial acceptances go out to fill the exact class seats, and then the rest is filled by waitlisters.

Soooo... this makes the process completely different at the different schools, not just for waitlisting, but for acceptances as well. Now I really have no idea what the schools will be doing before or after the 27th....

Are the waitlisters all under the similar assumption that with a class size of roughly 120 (anglo), and roughly 65 waitlist spots filled (or removed), we may get down to 185 on the list? Heck, if Ottawa wants to fill down all the way to 200 I'd happily wait until after the 27th :cool:

It's going to be rather different this year though. With no more provisional acceptances, we should find out by first week of June. Other than random events, I don't see what else would cause waitlist movement after the first wave.

med88, I agree. I think this year almost the entire class will be complete by the first week of June (except for random and uncontrollable circumstances).

I think this is a good thing and makes people's lives a little easier while waiting. Seriously, the entire process can take up to a year!

We also have to keep in mind that people with multiple offers will be removed from the waitlist. This means it may even go lower than we think. This is driving me insane.

AAHHH....

I just read in the UofT forum that UofT over accepts applicants to fill their original 250 seats. So, those on the waitlist are actually further from being called up.

But, my understanding is that Ottawa doesn't do this, and that the initial acceptances go out to fill the exact class seats, and then the rest is filled by waitlisters.

Soooo... this makes the process completely different at the different schools, not just for waitlisting, but for acceptances as well. Now I really have no idea what the schools will be doing before or after the 27th....

Are the waitlisters all under the similar assumption that with a class size of roughly 120 (anglo), and roughly 65 waitlist spots filled (or removed), we may get down to 185 on the list? Heck, if Ottawa wants to fill down all the way to 200 I'd happily wait until after the 27th :cool:

I was just reading Toronto's admissions blog and they said that they gave out more acceptances than there are seats based on a best guess. They also said that most schools do that. So I dont think one person rejecting an offer means one getting in off the waitlist. In that case, that worsens our chances. I'm depressed.

It shouldn't make you depressed because we know Ottawa does not do that. In their email, they explicitly stated that they sent out offers only to the top 116 applicants.

I was just reading Toronto's admissions blog and they said that they gave out more acceptances than there are seats based on a best guess. They also said that most schools do that. So I dont think one person rejecting an offer means one getting in off the waitlist. In that case, that worsens our chances. I'm depressed.

I'm with med88 on this. Ottawa doesn't do this so it shouldn't affect our chances at all. It sucks for the people who only have a UofT waitlist offer though, b/c they don't really know if there are already 70 people ahead of them in the overflow acceptance bunch. At least with Ottawa being good waitlisted can mean number 1 on the list.

med88, I agree. I think this year almost the entire class will be complete by the first week of June (except for random and uncontrollable circumstances).

I think this is a good thing and makes people's lives a little easier while waiting. Seriously, the entire process can take up to a year!

When I asked them about this on Friday, she said she expects waitlists to move atleast till mid July. The reason being once she makes offers to people on the waitlist, they are given two weeks to decide. And if they reject the offer, she goes down the waitlist after two weeks. It could be long and drawn out again, although not like previous years when there was some movement in August.

I think people on multiple waitlists and people on out of province waitlists will cause some movement even after first week of June, but it may not be as much.

I agree with some of what you're saying - particularly the part about OOP waitlist part. But after May 27, there won't be anyone on the Ottawa waitlist that is accepted anywhere else in Ontario and I think that will signifcanty reduce the waitlist numbers.

Guest Mr. Nash
I'd be happy to post if and when the time comes.

So far it seems like there's at least 10 people who were accepted and declined in favour of another school, or who dropped off the good waitlist for another acceptance. I know this isn't a representative sample of the entire list - but, so far it's looking good for us waitlisters.

Mr. Nash - can we assume that you are on the good waitlist too?

Does anyone know if Ottawa will let people know before the 27th? (Like Toronto)? I have a feeling we're not going to hear anything before the 28th at the earliest.

yeah, i am good WLed. i was just wondering that because the wait has been really anxious for me. a lot of my summer plans that i had didnt work out and now that i didnt get accepted at ottawa last week, my parents have become super manipulative in trying to "help me" get into med school (im redoing MCATs, so they are trying to keep me in the house all the time to study! argh!)

Guest viscous

what if by chance, all ppl at UT decided to accept their offer, is UT med screwed? They will become sadistic and take offers back from the happy applicants?

Archived