Premed 101 Forums

I love montreal

Guest dogeatdog12

Guest dogeatdog12

I love montreal, and I was just wondering if anyone could help me with something. I would really like to go to McGill, because of the city and the school. But I am considered out of province. what are the chances, do they treat me the same so long as I have the 3.5 GPA?

thanks

I love montreal too. I've been living here for two years (going to McGill) and I too am out-of-province.

They reserve ~ 5-7 spots in the class for out-of-province students, so it doesn't matter what your GPA is, you compete with everyone else from Canada for those five spots. There are more spots for international students than oop canadians.

Sucks huh? :(

...and a fine city it is. I grew up in Montreal, but have lived elsewhere and admit that few places compete with notre ville.

Unfortunately, getting into McGill Med from out of province is a very competitive feat, but not impossible. I don't believe the minimums to get in differ for OOPs, but you have to remember a few things:

1) People get in with less than the minimums...trust me. In other words, it really does pay to apply if you have solid (not necessarily earth shattering) numbers.

2) Minimums don't mean all that much...averages mean a lot more. I think the average last year (for the whole class) was something around 3.75-3.80 GPA and 31 MCAT.

3) MCAT/GPA are only 2 of the 5 criteria...there is also personal statement, letters of reference, and hopefully interview.

Good luck and don't let people or stats decide whether or not you should apply. If you can afford the application, it;s worth it...you never know what can happen in a given applicant pool.

Dan

hehe, we pay higher tuition. i think this may play a role in the "more spots for int'l students." i mean...would you want to pay 24,000$ a year to go to mcgill or would you rather pay the much cheaper in-province tuition in your home province? i guess that's a pretty hypothetical question as it's not much of a choice.

Guest bearman14

I think the point De-Fenced was REALLY trying to make is that the OOP students who get accepted are extra-special -- the cream of the crop, if you will. That is what you were trying to say, right Dan? :P

Guest dogeatdog12

I have two questions.

one person said to apply with lower numbers but I was little confused because he showed me averages much higher than the cutoffs? what's your overall message? Should I apply with low numbers, but be aware of the averages?

what is the cream of the crop for OOPs?

thanks

Guest medicator007

Dogeatdog12,

Allow me to try and recap what has been said and add some of my own insight on the matter.

I think what Dfenst was trying to say with regards to "lower numbers" is that McGill is known to offer interviews and/or acceptances to some people who have not made the cutoffs. This in sharp contrast to some other schools, who are quite clear that they will not interview anyone who doesn't meet the cutoffs in even one category. As to whether they are more strict/lenient on the cutoffs for OOP vs. In-Provincers that really is up in the air and any answer would really amount to nothing more than conjecture on my part.

So basically the best way to know is to apply. It only costs $60 (a fraction compared to OMSAS) and as far as applications go is fairly light on the workload compared to the beast that OMSAS is. So unless one of these two reasons is against your liking you have NOTHING to lose by applying and acceptance to a GREAT school to gain.

Medicator

PS... cream of the crop would appear to be a ploy on Bearman's account to start some sort of OOP v. In-Province feud :eek

yes, o-unshaven one - thou arest the cream of the crop.

Perhaps I was unclear. My overall message is to apply! To be frank, I did not meet the minimum MCAT requirement and apparently that didn't matter. What I meant by looking at the average scores rather than the minimum scores is more of a general point that I was making. In other words, who cares what the minimums are if the averages are way higher? I mean if they dropped the cutoffs to a 22 mcat AND 2.7 GPA, would the make up of the matriculating class actually change? Maybe a bit, but not much. Do I make sense? Back to the Cubs game...go Cubs...go Red Sox. Hey - a diehard expo fan can at least root for the teams that haven't won the Series for many moons.

Dan

Guest dogeatdog12

does anyone know the McGill GPA scale?

I would appreciate some help.

thanks

I am writing the MCAT this spring, and I will apply next year.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

This is the scale that OMSAS uses for students who have transcripts from McGill. I would assume that McGill would use their own scale when determining the averages of applicants to their medical school (why make life more complicated :) ), but it's best to check with them if that's something you really need to know.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived