Premed 101 Forums

Why everyone says not to do a grad degree?

I was checking the sticky post here which summarizes the grad student policies in each schools. It appears to me is that doing a grad degree is quite beneficial or at least doesnt hurt? Basically thats gonna be my plan after graduation.

But why you guys all tell people not to do a grad degree?:confused:

What most of us say is don't do a grad degree just because you think it will help you get into med school. It gives you a small advantage at a few schools and doesn't do anything at others. It's not a good way to fix a low gpa, because a lot of med schools don't care about grad school grades. If you're truly interested in research, then do a grad degree. But don't do it to help you get into med school. It's at least a two year commitment, including summers, and some med schools won't let you apply unless you finish it. If you don't love research, you'll go crazy. You'll go crazy at times even if you absolutely love your research topic, because even the most interesting research involves many long hours of monotonous data-collecting and statistical analysis.

I think this is as good a post as any for me to start on premed101. Ideally, by doing a grad degree it should be in something that you are interested in and something that may give you additional options down the road. My decision to go for grad was based on an interest in the research I will be doing and understanding that my ideal med schools will give consideration to this. Should I never get in, I feel that I will have more options available to me after doing grad than if I stayed 2-3 more years as an undergrad taking a random list of courses in hopes of improving a gpa. The most important thing is to have a backup plan that you'll be happy with in the future- for you and you alone.:)

Thanks astrogirl and Starling

My plan is to get a 1 year course based grad school program, which does not prevent me from any application year, gives me more courses and hopefully better GPA, plus a master degree that may be useful if I dont get into med.

Basically I wont be doing a lot of research.

Yes I want to improve my GPA as well as other aspect of my med application, but I am also interested in that degree just in case i do not get into med.

How does that sound to everyone?

I could be wrong, but I believe that some of the schools that would give you a bonus for having a Master's only do so if it is a 2 year MAster's.

I believe Mac gives you a small GPA boost if you've done a Masters.

• 2 weeks later...
i believe most universities gives you an extra point if you have a M.Sc and 2 exra points if you have a Ph.D

By M.Sc you mean a master in science? Does it have to be master in SCIENCE, I mean? I tend to believe a master degree in all fields are treated equally?

And does anyone know if there is a difference between a two year master and one year master, or a difference between course based master and research based master during the med application?

Thanks for sharing the info!

i believe most universities gives you an extra point if you have a M.Sc and 2 exra points if you have a Ph.D

It's actually completely different for every school. Some give you extra points or special consideration, some give you nothing. The sticky at the top of this sub-forum has details for most of the schools.

By M.Sc you mean a master in science? Does it have to be master in SCIENCE, I mean? I tend to believe a master degree in all fields are treated equally?

And does anyone know if there is a difference between a two year master and one year master, or a difference between course based master and research based master during the med application?

Thanks for sharing the info!

euh yeah i meant master, not necessarily M.Sc., sorry about the confusion. the thing is that some schools might ask you to do some courses (like math or physics) if you haven't done any of those sciency courses.

It's actually completely different for every school. Some give you extra points or special consideration, some give you nothing. The sticky at the top of this sub-forum has details for most of the schools.

Yeah I guess I understand this part. But I am not sure for those schools claimed to give extra points to grad student, do they treat 1yr and 2yr program equally and do they treat course based program and research based program equally? Anyone has any idea?

euh yeah i meant master, not necessarily M.Sc., sorry about the confusion. the thing is that some schools might ask you to do some courses (like math or physics) if you haven't done any of those sciency courses.

Thanks. My case is ok. I am in science now and I am taking an arts grad school. Not too much to catch up.

I was checking the sticky post here which summarizes the grad student policies in each schools. It appears to me is that doing a grad degree is quite beneficial or at least doesnt hurt? Basically thats gonna be my plan after graduation.

But why you guys all tell people not to do a grad degree?:confused:

Hey Genemo,

I've actually heard that for some schools, a grad degree can actually hurt you if you don't do too well because you will be considered in a separate pool of grad applicants, so the competition will actually be harder. I honestly don't know if this is true or just rumour...can anyone on this forum confirm??

Hey Genemo,

I've actually heard that for some schools, a grad degree can actually hurt you if you don't do too well because you will be considered in a separate pool of grad applicants, so the competition will actually be harder. I honestly don't know if this is true or just rumour...can anyone on this forum confirm??

O Really?! Now it is scary...Thanks for letting me know! I would LOVE to know the answer. Anyone?

Hi Genemo,

I believe that this is true to some degree but its not something that should stop you from thinking about grad school. I am a grad student now and I think my chances are much better than before. Grad studies does put you in a separate pool in some schools but it has more benefits than costs (not taking into consideration the several years that you have to invest). It allows you to get big and small awards, publications, conference presentations, faculty exposure, research experience, leadership (for summer students and TA), lower GPA requirements (such as UT and queens), and just in general more life experience. Most schools in Canada do not consider grads separately and most ppl consider this as a down side. However, I think this is beneficial as you will have an edge against undergrads who will very likely have less publications, research experience, and conference experience.

Hi Genemo,

I believe that this is true to some degree but its not something that should stop you from thinking about grad school. I am a grad student now and I think my chances are much better than before. Grad studies does put you in a separate pool in some schools but it has more benefits than costs (not taking into consideration the several years that you have to invest). It allows you to get big and small awards, publications, conference presentations, faculty exposure, research experience, leadership (for summer students and TA), lower GPA requirements (such as UT and queens), and just in general more life experience. Most schools in Canada do not consider grads separately and most ppl consider this as a down side. However, I think this is beneficial as you will have an edge against undergrads who will very likely have less publications, research experience, and conference experience.

Thanks dguo1. But the grad program Im going to is a 1yr master in arts, and is course based. Other than 30 credits (hopefully high GPA), I don't see much research or publication coming from it. What do you say for a program like this?

Hi Genemo,

Most Canadian Schools consider a course based Masters to be equivalent to an extra year of courses as undergrad. In my opinion, you may want to reconsider as graduate courses are much harder than undergrad courses so if you want to boost GPA, might as well start another undergrad with easy courses. However, such a masters may prepare you for an alternate job if you are looking for a backup. Other than that, I would recommend that you look for a thesis based masters if you wish to be considered a grad student.

Hope this helps!

I went to grad school before applying to med. I think it was a great option - for me. I got to explore fields I was really interested in (medical genetics and obstetrics), take lots of neat courses (we got to take extra courses for free, tuition was a set amount and we got to do what we want with it), and it gave me extra years to gain life experiences, work on my ECs and have a little fun before committing to med school. I was accepted at multiple med schools this year, and I can tell you for sure it had nothing to do with my grades or my MCAT score.

that sounds like a super plan. i did an MSc and i think it was the best thing i could've done to help me get in. i did a 2 year masters, but got it done in a year and a half mainly due to an excellent supervisor.

it is true that it doesn't help with GPA, however, you gain a ton of knowledge, skill, and extra experience. you generally have more time to volunteer, study for your MCAT, shadow etc. plus it DOES look better come interview time. if i'm debating between two exact people, but one has a graduate degree, i would be swayed to accept the latter.

it also allows you to further your career if medicine doesn't happen. good choice all around!

Haha, I don't have time to volunteer, shadow, etc. I'm in the lab over 50 hours/week... but hands down, I am so glad I am working on this project. It's given me so much experience and as difficult as it is, I'm starting to excel in it and I'm loving it!

Archived