Premed 101 Forums

The OSAP 2010-2011 Loan Help Thread

Hmmmm my osap application is still "on hold". Any other ontario students going to an OOP school? Perhaps that takes a lot longer to process?

I did my application early June and I couldn't even get through to make a phone call today. (busy tone)

yup right here!! I've contacted financial aid at UBC and they said they have communication with osap and they'll look into it....

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

did anyone else notice a discrepancy on the form where when it states to put in your 2009 income it asks the amount received from jan 1 to aug 30 and then aug 31 to aug 31 ? do they mean aug 31 to december 31?!?

also people mentioned that they had to include their tfsa information, but i only see a space for including details about the rrsp. am i missing something?!

final question, it asks if you have been living at your parents or on your own for the past year, and if you click that you have no been living at home (which is the case for me) it says you have to contact your financial institution (if you click on the help function or description function for that question)?!?!?

tried calling osap today to get some help but line was busy all day. i'd appreciate any advice anyone has to offer!!

did anyone else notice a discrepancy on the form where when it states to put in your 2009 income it asks the amount received from jan 1 to aug 30 and then aug 31 to aug 31 ? do they mean aug 31 to december 31?!?

also people mentioned that they had to include their tfsa information, but i only see a space for including details about the rrsp. am i missing something?!

final question, it asks if you have been living at your parents or on your own for the past year, and if you click that you have no been living at home (which is the case for me) it says you have to contact your financial institution (if you click on the help function or description function for that question)?!?!?

tried calling osap today to get some help but line was busy all day. i'd appreciate any advice anyone has to offer!!

TFSA = asset

What about the part where it asks your income from aug 31/10 to aug31/10

Since they are asking the total income Jan to dec 2010 then Jan 31/10 to aug 30/10 is it safe to assume they mean aug 31/10 to dec 31/10 and not aug 31/10 To aug 31/10 as it is currently written on the form???

What about the part where it asks your income from aug 31/10 to aug31/10

Since they are asking the total income Jan to dec 2010 then Jan 31/10 to aug 30/10 is it safe to assume they mean aug 31/10 to dec 31/10 and not aug 31/10 To aug 31/10 as it is currently written on the form???

Yeah, I would say it's safe to say so. When I applied, I recall it saying Aug.31 to Dec.31. If it didn't actually say that, then I made a mistake, but I still ended up getting a decent amount of funding.

Where will you be living during most of the 16-week period before your 2010-2011 study period starts?

If you are a single dependent student (i.e., on the Eligibility step, you indicated your current status as “none of the above applies to me”), you will be assessed as living with your parents during the pre-study period. If you did not live with your parent(s) during the pre-study period, please contact your financial aid office for additional instructions.

You are likely not a single dependent student, so the second clause (see financial aid office) does not apply to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the OSOG is??

My OSAP is still not posted yet.

Does everyone get the busy tone with the OSAP phone number online?

I've called so many times through the landline or 1-888 number and all i get is the busy tone.

I get the busy tone sometimes too. Just call on another day.

so the OSOG is not separate from the OSAP loan? So if OSAP gives me 10,000. I pay back 7,500. My OSOG is therefore, $2500?

Wish it was a separate award. lol

If it was osap would probably be trying to claw it back anyway by counting the award as income and thus reducing your max amount.

It still works out to a huge amount if you get full osap (for me it is 7500 per year so 30,000 total off the top of my education - not bad at all :) )

Archived