Premed 101 Forums

The OSAP 2010-2011 Loan Help Thread

I can't even get the loan estimator to give me a real estimate since it only provides it for Ontario schools.

I don't even want to apply for Ontario. But Alberta won't let me apply and Ontario won't say no. Ughh.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that explains why I got screwed. I put in my app that Ill be living with parents in pre-study period ....

you can rectify this by filing an osap form that says you pay your parents room and board... Then presto... back to full osap... even though living at home! (only applies to people at least 4 years out of HS, i.e. no second years can claim to be paying their parents room and board... even if they are...)

WHICH FORM DO WE USE TO SAY THAT YOU PAY ROOM AND BOARD WHILE LIVING AT HOME DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS?

you can rectify this by filing an osap form that says you pay your parents room and board... Then presto... back to full osap... even though living at home! (only applies to people at least 4 years out of HS, i.e. no second years can claim to be paying their parents room and board... even if they are...)

________

Suzuki gs series specifications

do many people say that? isn't it such an obvious lie lol - do they verify somehow? where do you say that?

WHICH FORM DO WE USE TO SAY THAT YOU PAY ROOM AND BOARD WHILE LIVING AT HOME DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS?

every school has its own form... you have to go bug your admissions and awards peopel about it... googling... i found the link for windsor... all of them are pretty similar..

http://www.uwindsor.ca/awards/sites/uwindsor.ca.awards/files/Student%20Resides%20With%20Parent_s_%20&%20Pays%20Room%20and%20BoardFIPPA%20-%20Done.pdf

However, to get approved, you have to present a realistic rent/budget (no paying 3000 rent per month :P), as well as documented (not just receipts... actual financial transfers on your bank accounts) payment of rent/board. If you successfully appeal, you will get a slightly higher osap rate, though i have a feeling it wont reach the max for people ACTUALLY living away from home.

@mattg. Its the honour system (plus since it requires manual approval, if your budget is ludicrous, it wont be approved)... It is useful though for those living at home who need the extra money from osap. It shouldnt matter too much for med students though... cause wouldnt your unmet needs just be covered by u of t bursaries?

1) where it says to enter your gross income for the 2009 year... i made 6k from an nserc scholarship, and i believe 2k in mcmaster scholarships... but it says "If you filed a 2009 Canadian Income Tax Return use the amount from line 150"... my line '150 total income' 2009 says $0.... so do i put my total income was 0, even though it wasn't? did anyone else come across this?

2) for income during 2010, i am again doing research this summer under another scholarship (sunnybrook)... assuming the reason total income for 2009 was 0 was because it was via schoalrship, do i put $0 expected for 2010, even though i will be getting 4k?

3) where they ask you to estimate your income for the 2010-11 study period, how are you supposed to know if you are going to receive any scholarships/bursaries/awards? do you just put $0 for now?

4) i assume a bank loan is not a source of income?

I'm pretty sure that line 150 is taxable income before deductions like tuition etc. Since scholarships/bursaries/awards are not taxable they don't show up in that category.

Loans of any kind are debt not income.

I just used the OSAP estimator and got 14,353... I entered 0 for all categories of income and anything asset related. Live away from home. Meh, kinda a crappy figure considering OSAP has always been more than enough to cover my tuition in the past and will be off by pretty much 4 grand this year.

damn everyone seems to be entering zero for assets... do ppl really have no money in the bank or does everyone just pretty much omit entering their personal money? i'm regretting entering a few thousand... took the funding back a few thousand :mad:

damn everyone seems to be entering zero for assets... do ppl really have no money in the bank or does everyone just pretty much omit entering their personal money? i'm regretting entering a few thousand... took the funding back a few thousand :mad:

it's better to be honest. getting audited is THE WORST. not worth the couple thousand.

This year I got 15,000 ish - there was some grant automatically given in addition to the loan etc.

so you actually got 15k purely from osap? isn't the limit 360/week, which is around 13k of osap? i know people are getting estimates of 15-16k, but maybe the actual money you get is limited to 13k?

if you did get 15k, time to use the whole 'pay rent to my parents' dealio! haha

also, whoever says the max is 18-19k, your school must have ridiculous tuition fees. my max is 16k =(

so you actually got 15k purely from osap? isn't the limit 360/week, which is around 13k of osap? i know people are getting estimates of 15-16k, but maybe the actual money you get is limited to 13k?

if you did get 15k, time to use the whole 'pay rent to my parents' dealio! haha

also, whoever says the max is 18-19k, your school must have ridiculous tuition fees. my max is 16k =(

Med school is 40 weeks so at 360 a week that is 14400. Also there was some grant thing on top of that.

Lucky you :) - Western tutition is about 18000 when you include the final student fees etc.

The amount was split among two terms though, so i didn't get it all in Sept.

FRIG -- when did they take away SIN as an option for signing into OSAP? I have NO idea where my OAN is as they never emailed it to me and its not on any of my loan documents...

How bad would it be if I just signed up again?

It won't let you. Your SIN will be registered in the system. When you registered ages ago there was a method to recover that number however. It should be on the left side of the sign-on page.

OSAP Access Number (OAN) arrow white down image

* What is an OAN?

* Do I have an OAN?

* Forgot your OAN?

Click on Forgot your OAN and it will ask you to enter some info (SIN and your security passwords).

FRIG -- when did they take away SIN as an option for signing into OSAP? I have NO idea where my OAN is as they never emailed it to me and its not on any of my loan documents...

How bad would it be if I just signed up again?

w00t finally someone who's in the same boat. i was so surprised everyone seemed to remember their OAN. but anyways, they won't let you sign up again since your SIN is already registered in the system. You have to go your closest financial aid office and give them your proof of SIN and a gov't issued photo id for them to give you your OAN and a temp pw. hf! =p it's a hassle but not really that bad

It won't let you. Your SIN will be registered in the system. When you registered ages ago there was a method to recover that number however. It should be on the left side of the sign-on page.

Click on Forgot your OAN and it will ask you to enter some info (SIN and your security passwords).

o guess someone beat me to it. i just assumed the OP would forget the answers to his security questions too =p also if you had a space in your security answer, you're outta luck since they changed the system to those dot things that won't accept a space

Med school is 40 weeks so at 360 a week that is 14400. Also there was some grant thing on top of that.

Lucky you :) - Western tutition is about 18000 when you include the final student fees etc.

The amount was split among two terms though, so i didn't get it all in Sept.

hm ottawa is 38 weeks so i guess the max for us will be 13680. hopefully i'll get some grant thing too =) cheers

Hey guys I don't know what to do! I have one last thing to fill out on the OSAP application. In the column assigned to total income for 2009 it states to insert the amount found on line 150 of the tax form we have from that year. In details on gross income though, it states that we must report ALL income. The issue is that line 150 is all TAXABLE income which does not include the $4000 I received in scholarship money, or the $5000 in fellowship money I received for working in a lab setting (both of which did not have T4 forms but T forms related to income not related to employment). Does anyone have any idea if I should be putting the full amount or simply what was on line 150 in that section? :confused: Thanks a lot for your help, I have gotten different answers from different people....

I think that if it explicitly says to write down the amount on line 150 of your tax return, then I'd write that and nothing else, since that's all it seems to be asking for. :) Can't say that is 100% correct, but I think that's what I'd do!

Hey guys I don't know what to do! I have one last thing to fill out on the OSAP application. In the column assigned to total income for 2009 it states to insert the amount found on line 150 of the tax form we have from that year. In details on gross income though, it states that we must report ALL income. The issue is that line 150 is all TAXABLE income which does not include the $4000 I received in scholarship money, or the $5000 in fellowship money I received for working in a lab setting (both of which did not have T4 forms but T forms related to income not related to employment). Does anyone have any idea if I should be putting the full amount or simply what was on line 150 in that section? :confused: Thanks a lot for your help, I have gotten different answers from different people....

Archived