Premed 101 Forums

The OSAP 2010-2011 Loan Help Thread

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest viscous
Hey guys,

For those of you applying for OSAP and who were not born in Canada, what did you respond to this question:

Quote:

Residency Information

Check one of the following statements that best describes your current residency situation:

I'm conflicted on whether to choose the first or last option. Technically, the first one isn't true since I wasn't born in Canada. But I've never lived in any province other than Ontario and I feel like that is what its asking. What did you guys put down?

Ive been choosing "I have always resided in Ontario" for the last 5 years. I also was not born in Canada. But OSAP never raised an issue with this. HMM. I chose that option because I really have always resided in Ontario "since I came to Canada." I dont know, I might be wrong but OSAP never told me that I have provided them "wrong info." "I now reside in Ontario" seems to mean that I just moved into Ontario "from another province." That was my reasoning for not choosing that option. But do whatever you are comfortable with.

Ive been choosing "I have always resided in Ontario" for the last 5 years. I also was not born in Canada. But OSAP never raised an issue with this. HMM. I chose that option because I really have always resided in Ontario "since I came to Canada." I dont know, I might be wrong but OSAP never told me that I have provided them "wrong info." "I now reside in Ontario" seems to mean that I just moved into Ontario "from another province." That was my reasoning for not choosing that option. But do whatever you are comfortable with.

Ditto. I've been doing the exact same: always resided in Ontario (within Canada)

Ok I feel really silly about this, but I lost my copy of the Canadian income tax return form (and my accountant doesn't have a copy either), so I'm not sure exactly what my line 150 is to fill out my OSAP.

Otherwise I'm not sure what to do.... I don't have my paystubs/t4/tax return forms (I must have lost it somewhere when I moved out)

Contact Canada Revenue Agency, and ask them. They should be able to tell you. Alternatively, just wait for your notice of assessment (I think it includes the amt from line 150). Or, contact your employer, and just ask for another copy of your T4s.

Contact Canada Revenue Agency, and ask them. They should be able to tell you. Alternatively, just wait for your notice of assessment (I think it includes the amt from line 150). Or, contact your employer, and just ask for another copy of your T4s.

While you are asking C.R. try to set it up so you can access their online system. Once you have that you can do a lot of thing online, including looking at all your previous returns. Doesn't take long to do :)

ahhh ok, what is going on here? Med students usually get the full amount unless something very odd is going on (?) I very likely have more savings than most people and still get the full OSAP amount.

If you are getting something less I would book an appointment with the financial aid office to go over things. If you have so much savings that for some reason you are over consider dumping the money into an RRSP or perhaps buy property in the city your school is in. Both are protected locations that don't count either at all or as much. Before you apply know the rules and properly manage your assets and make sure you don't have your parents income being used at all - everyone now is past that.

um... mine is only $10k. WTF?

Same. And that is surprising because I've always gotten a lot of osap for undergrad too...

Edit: I think the osap estimator has lost it's mind, so I'll probably just wait till my osap is processed and hopefully I'll get the full amount then

ahhh ok, what is going on here? Med students usually get the full amount unless something very odd is going on (?) I very likely have more savings than most people and still get the full OSAP amount.

If you are getting something less I would book an appointment with the financial aid office to go over things. If you have so much savings that for some reason you are over consider dumping the money into an RRSP or perhaps buy property in the city your school is in. Both are protected locations that don't count either at all or as much. Before you apply know the rules and properly manage your assets and make sure you don't have your parents income being used at all - everyone now is past that.

I don't actually have any savings (3K). I clicked the "4 years out of high school option" I don't have a car or any other kind of funds/savings.

I just hope the actual amount comes out to be more... I really don't want to pull out a whole lot from the LOC even though the limit is more than I'll need.

well osap has put my app on hold, not sure why ....

Do you mean this?

Your application is currently on hold and cannot be processed any further.

Your school is in the process of providing OSAP with information on their programs and tuition, fee and book costs. This information is needed before OSAP can calculate your funding. Please check back later.

Most schools will have provided the ministry with their program and cost information by
mid June
. Please check back later. You may wish to contact your school for further details.

That's what my osap 'check status' thing says. I guess we wait till mid-June...

Guest viscous
Do you mean this?

Your application is currently on hold and cannot be processed any further.

Your school is in the process of providing OSAP with information on their programs and tuition, fee and book costs. This information is needed before OSAP can calculate your funding. Please check back later.

Most schools will have provided the ministry with their program and cost information by
mid June
. Please check back later. You may wish to contact your school for further details.

That's what my osap 'check status' thing says. I guess we wait till mid-June...

yup, thats what mine says as well.

If my parents gave me $300/month for my masters degree but are not giving me any money for med school, how do I declare this to OSAP? Or do I need to declare it at all? I was going to put it under income from Jan 2010 - June 2010 but money from my parents is not really taxable income. Also, my estimate was for 16,200, is this the most you can get as a medical student?

If my parents gave me $300/month for my masters degree but are not giving me any money for med school, how do I declare this to OSAP? Or do I need to declare it at all? I was going to put it under income from Jan 2010 - June 2010 but money from my parents is not really taxable income. Also, my estimate was for 16,200, is this the most you can get as a medical student?

No! That is NOT income so don't report it. Think of income as the sort of stuff you have to pay income taxes on, which would not from your parents gifts (as they already pay income tax on it). Really those are gifts and must be considered as that.

Your estimate sounds pretty close to the max which is good! I will only have to pay about 7000 of that back :)

I don't actually have any savings (3K). I clicked the "4 years out of high school option" I don't have a car or any other kind of funds/savings.

I just hope the actual amount comes out to be more... I really don't want to pull out a whole lot from the LOC even though the limit is more than I'll need.

Yeah seriously look into that with an academic advisor at your target school - something feels wrong about things as it is really way too low.

ESTIMATED OSAP FUNDING :: For 2010 - 2011 Academic year

Estimated Provincial Student Loans $ 4,460

Estimated Federal Student Loans $ 7,980

Estimated Provincial In-Year Grants $

Estimated Federal In-Year Grants $ 4,209

TOTAL ESTIMATED OSAP FUNDING $ 16,649

This is the max I could get if I put everything as 0 ( assests, income etc.)

Based on Ontario Student Opportunity Grant (OSOG) would that mean ~ 4,000 of the loan would not need to be paided back (ie: the provicincial portion)?

ESTIMATED OSAP FUNDING :: For 2010 - 2011 Academic year

Estimated Provincial Student Loans $ 4,460

Estimated Federal Student Loans $ 7,980

Estimated Provincial In-Year Grants $

Estimated Federal In-Year Grants $ 4,209

TOTAL ESTIMATED OSAP FUNDING $ 16,649

This is the max I could get if I put everything as 0 ( assests, income etc.)

Based on Ontario Student Opportunity Grant (OSOG) would that mean ~ 4,000 of the loan would not need to be paided back (ie: the provicincial portion)?

my understanding is you will have to pay back less than that even :)

Guest viscous
If you put you live with your parents during the schooll year, you'll get less funding. If you put you will live at home during the pre-study period (May->Aug), you'll also receive less funding.

that explains why I got screwed. I put in my app that Ill be living with parents in pre-study period ....

ok thanks, i got it... a few questions about the 'financial info' section:

1) where it says to enter your gross income for the 2009 year... i made 6k from an nserc scholarship, and i believe 2k in mcmaster scholarships... but it says "If you filed a 2009 Canadian Income Tax Return use the amount from line 150"... my line '150 total income' 2009 says $0.... so do i put my total income was 0, even though it wasn't? did anyone else come across this?

2) for income during 2010, i am again doing research this summer under another scholarship (sunnybrook)... assuming the reason total income for 2009 was 0 was because it was via schoalrship, do i put $0 expected for 2010, even though i will be getting 4k?

3) where they ask you to estimate your income for the 2010-11 study period, how are you supposed to know if you are going to receive any scholarships/bursaries/awards? do you just put $0 for now?

4) i assume a bank loan is not a source of income?

sorry for all of the questions, but i never thought i would qualify for osap (didn't know i was independent now lol)... and apparently today is the deadline... any answers would be greatly appreciated! thanks

If you put you live with your parents during the schooll year, you'll get less funding. If you put you will live at home during the pre-study period (May->Aug), you'll also receive less funding.

if you say no (lie), do they verify? do many people lie here lol?

Archived