Premed 101 Forums

How to Pay for School?

Guest dfenst

Guest dfenst

I know the General Med School forum has this posting on it, but I was wondering if we could make it McGill-specific. What are the best places to get money for school and living expenses?

1) Do most people use the Quebec Government for loans and bursaries? On that note, I got my loan amount from them, but have not yet received notice about the bursary. Does anyone have details on when that is supposed to happen?

2) If you use banks, do most people get loans or Lines of Credit? In either case, can anyone recommend the best bank to use? Is there a best bank? Are any banks good? ;)

Thanks,

Dan

Guest McGillGrad

1. You get the loan before you are evaluated for the bursary. You will receive notice of the amount of your bursary once you fill out the "declaration of actual situation" form. Then they will (usually) split up the bursary and give it to you at the beginning of each term.

2. About the banks, you are much better off with a student line of credit. They are using your medical school education as collateral and will give you a delayed interest line of credit (up to about 100k) during medical school. The best banks are the ones where you know the loan officers. If you do not, then I would recommend Royal Bank or TD Canada Trust.

Archived