Premed 101 Forums

Undergrad anatomy?

Guest viscous

Guest viscous

Hi all,

I was wondering how helpful taking a human anatomy course at 3rd year level will be in med school?

I have not taken any anatomy course in undergrad so i was wondering if taking one at UofT in summer will help me for my upcoming med school year in providing a competitive advantage? I understand i am late for enrolling in summer school but i can ask the prof to let me audit the course.

Thank you

Hi all,

I was wondering how helpful taking a human anatomy course at 3rd year level will be in med school?

I have not taken any anatomy course in undergrad so i was wondering if taking one at UofT in summer will help me for my upcoming med school year in providing a competitive advantage? I understand i am late for enrolling in summer school but i can ask the prof to let me audit the course.

Thank you

No

In most med schools in Canada, anatomy is quickly taught (with the exception of a few schools like UofT). Therefore, knowing your anatomy beforehand will help you, but it won't make you more competitive (since you're talking about a ''competitive advantage). It would be more helpful in the USA.

Peace

Guest viscous

ok by competitive i did not mean being unhelpful or non cooperative. I meant that would knowing some anatomy before hand help me in decreasing the time id dedicate to study anatomy? For example, lets say id spend 4 hrs on one anatomy lec with 0 background, would some undergrad knowlege help me cut down the time by 2 hours? I could use the saved 2 hrs in doing research or electives, hence being more competitive when time to apply to carms come ...

I am asking this because i do not want to make the same mistakes which kept me from starting my med school in 2008 .... Id like to get my residency of choice without any more time wastage, hence the nature of my question.

ok by competitive i did not mean being unhelpful or non cooperative. I meant that would knowing some anatomy before hand help me in decreasing the time id dedicate to study anatomy? For example, lets say id spend 4 hrs on one anatomy lec with 0 background, would some undergrad knowlege help me cut down the time by 2 hours? I could use the saved 2 hrs in doing research or electives, hence being more competitive when time to apply to carms come ...

I am asking this because i do not want to make the same mistakes which kept me from starting my med school in 2008 .... Id like to get my residency of choice without any more time wastage, hence the nature of my question.

well the same would go for anything - you could study anything and everything this summer that is taught in med school. Why are you fixing on anatomy? :)

I understand where you are coming from but first do you have an idea of what you want to do in residency?

Your grade in anatomy or the time spent studying for it during your first 2 years will not affect your competitiveness for residency. If you want to take your anatomy class this summer because you enjoy anatomy, go for it. If you think your workload will decrease because you took that class, I'd say don't take it. Once again, anatomy is not as big as it used to be.

Guest viscous
well the same would go for anything - you could study anything and everything this summer that is taught in med school. Why are you fixing on anatomy? :)

I understand where you are coming from but first do you have an idea of what you want to do in residency?

I was particularly concerned about anatomy becuase i had 0 exposure to anatomy proper in undergrad except that which was covered in the context of physiology.

At this moment, i am interested in internal medicine with subspecialty in infectious diseases and i would like to make translational research a part of my job. I am also interested in neuro aspect of medicine and who knows i might fall in love with surgery once i start med.

Laika, ontariokid, and theboque, thank you for your comments.

Archived