Premed 101 Forums

Med School Relationships

I'm really sorry but I just had to post and needed a bit of attention

The best physician I have met in my life told me : A good doctor is a happy doctor

. I used to overthink relationships relatively to med school. Time spent with my gf was not calculated in hours but in pages of textbook I should have read during that time. I just came to a conclusion and I'm not an expert, nor a god, just wanted to share it.

Medical School was a pretext for me. If I was in Law, Law school would be my excuse. I know I had a lot of studying to do, but I thinked : If I can't live my life during Medical School, Residency will be another excuse, as well for the Fellowship, and finally for the real Medical Practice.

Think of Medical School as a life test. They test our ability to study. They test our ability to interact with patients.

This is how my toughts evolved, and I think, would have evolved :

* I only need to get through Undergrad since it's what counts for getting in Medical School

* I only need to get through the 2 first years of core science in Medical School since after I'll be on the field

* I only need to get through the 2 last years of field experience in Medical School since after I'll be a resident

* I only need to get through the 5 years of residency since after, I'll be a physician

* I only need to get through the 2 years fellowship since after, I'll be done

* I only need to get though the first years as an MD since after, I'll have a good reputation

Medical School is a School. We pass our lives saving's other lives. I think we deserve to enjoy our own's life sometimes. I know it's cheesy, but If you loose the person you really loved, you can have the hottest degree in town, but you'll not be able to be 20-25-30 again.

Moral of the story :

1. Damn I was Bored

2. Live during Medical School

3. If you still have exams, get the **** out and go study

Wow, well said.

I'm not in medical school, but I went through the same thing in undergrad and Pharmacy. I've dated a girl for over 5 years and my thoughts with her followed that exact trend to be honest. At least they used to, until I lost her. Thankfully we got back together and I think we both are really taking time to enjoy our time together and not take it for granted.

So I think, at least in my personal experience, you've really hit the nail on the head with this one.

Brilliant and timely message! Thanks for posting that.

I'm really sorry but I just had to post and needed a bit of attention

The best physician I have met in my life told me : A good doctor is a happy doctor.

I know I had a lot of studying to do, but I thinked : If I can't live my life during Medical School, Residency will be another excuse, as well for the Fellowship, and finally for the real Medical Practice.

Thanks for the post.

I've been thinking about this stuff as well, lately.

Here's an excerpt from an article that echos thoughts your post.

"For many years in pre-med college, medical school, and residency, physicians focus on getting through the next hurdle. They may postpone the pleasures of life that others enjoy. It has been hypothesized that this psychology of postponement may be related to compulsive traits. In particular, the compulsive personality traits that are widely heralded as being key ingredients in professional success may have the unwanted consequence of leading to more distant relationships. Many physicians place work above all else, and it has been speculated that this may serve the purpose for them of helping to avoid intimacy, thus placing strain on intimate relationships."

The article goes on.

Anyways, I might have more to add, but for now, exams.

Starting med was an adjustment, but now that my first year is almost over I've started to figure out exactly how much work I need to do and how to prioritize. It's definitely easy to spend all your time studying the vast and infinite body of medical knowledge, but successful med students (and doctors) know how to put the books aside and spend time with friends and family. Multitasking is probably the most important thing you will need to learn throughout medical training. I hope I figure it all out sooner rather than later. It's really important to prioritize. You need to study when you're supposed to be studying (haven't mastered that one yet) so that you leave yourself time for fun. Don't fall behind but don't spend all your time working. Don't sacrifice the things you love doing, and if you haven't figured out what you love to do, take the time to explore and find it.

Now, time to study and take my own advice!

Archived