Premed 101 Forums

mcat requirements

Guest Tara191

Guest Tara191

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to apply to McGill next year but wasn't sure about their MCAT requirements. Their website states that you must have a score of +30 to be even considered. What they don't mention, though, is if there is also a cut-off for each score. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Also, is there a link that will show me how each applicant's file is evaluated. Ie. how much do marks, MCAT, extra-currics, and reference letters count for?

Thanks for all your help!

Guest bearman14

Hi Tara,

As it seems Medicator and I are the only two on the McGill board lately, I'll give your questions a whirl (though I am certainly no expert).

I don't know if McGill has a cut-off for each score. If you look at averages for each area, the VR scores averaged around 9.5 (off the top of my head) which would imply that there were many people accepted with a 9 in that area. So it would seem that at least in VR you can have a score that is below 10. Best bet is to contact the admin office, as they'll be able to give you a certain answer.

Also, I was told immediately following my interview that the breakdown for admissions was as follows:

40% Interview

20% MCAT

20% GPA

20% References

Hope that helps

Bearman

Guest dfenst

First of all...I'm on the boards! I don't check for 1 day and I get flack :rollin

Secondly, Tara - I PROMISE you that people get in with under 30 on MCATs. I know they publish the 30+ deal, but I guess there exceptions.

Thirdly, Bearman - what about personal statement? I always thought it was:

20% mcat

20% gpa

20% personal statement

20% references

20% interview

Dan

Guest bearman14

Hmmmmm.... now that sounds familiar too. I remember hearing something about the personal essay as well, but when I do the math, I get 120% :P I thought for sure the essay was 40%. Maybe this is another one of those "better call the admissions office to make sure" kind of things!

And sorry for giving you flack Dan, I was just trying to keep you accountable, you know, as an "incoming moderator" and all (kind of like a mortar shell in trench warfare -- INCOMING!!!!!!!) :rollin

edited to say I meant the interview, not essay, was worth 40%.

Guest medicator007

I'm no McGill expert either ;) , but here is my take on the matters of MCAT cutoffs and evaluation breakdown.

MCAT: Officially the cutoff is a total score of 30 (the WS is to the best of my knowledge not taken into account at McGill b/c they evaluate your autobiographical essay). As far as I can tell, there is no specific cutoff for each section, though as was alluded to earlier they do indeed publish averages for each section on the admissions site. Now, while the official cutoff is a 30, there ARE people who have been admitted with total MCAT scores under that. As for whether they had a sick GPA to go along with it, amazing extracurriculars or some form of "other" factors... I do not know. So just because you don't have excatly the cutoff does NOT mean you shouldnt apply.. there is only one way to know for sure... that is to apply.

Breakdown: Unlike some other schools in Ontario which tend to be rather overt on this matter, McGill hasn't published their formula in anywhere that I have found. However the generally accepted one (i.e. multiple people have heard this from multiple "reliable" sources) is as follows:

- 40% Interview

- 20% GPA

- 20% MCAT

- 20% Autobiographical letter

As far as I can tell your letters of reference (which are merely, checklists with a small comment section) are not included in the scoring... HOWEVER, if one of them says "Mr. or Ms. X has no business being a physician...etc..etc..." then it will certainly have an affect on your application.

You can try and call the admission office to get a more official breakdown, but I have a sneaking suspicion that their answer will be that they cannot release such information. Of course the above posted breakdown IS NOT OFFICIAL MCGILL POLICY.... just a collection of what some of us have heard.

Hope that helps,

Medicator007

Guest dfenst

In the new McGill Health Sciences book, it says that the new med class (not sure if it's the 2007 or 2006 class, cuz technically the 2007 class is not complete until school starts) had an average of:

VR 8.9

PS 10.7

BS 10.9

WS n/a

GPA 3.8

Hope this helps,

Dan

Guest Tara191

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for all your input/advice! I was just wondering whether anything that has already been said about MCAT cut-offs would change if I'm an oop applicant?

Thanks!

Guest medicator007

Hey Tara,

Well the answer in effect is yes and no. Strictly speaking, the "cutoff" of 30 tends applies to OOP and In-Province. As you can see, there are certainly exception to this rule within the in-province category. Given the highly competitive nature of the OOP application pool however I would imagine they would be MUCH stricter about the cutoffs and perhaps even the avg entry MCAT for OOP might be higher.

Hope that helps,

Medicator007

Guest quebecboy

Hey, speaking about the MCAT at McGill, it says on their website that if you're mother tongue is french, they take it into account on the MCAT score. What exactly is "take it into account"? Do they lower the cutoff by X points (and how many) or do they procede by a case by case analysis (which would surprise me considering the number of apps) of your app to see how "unfluent" you are in english to determine how much to "take it into account" :lol ?

Thanks in advance,

quebecboy

Guest medicator007

Hey Quebecboy,

You got me stumped on this one :o

Best to speak to admissions for clarification of what exactly they mean by "take it into account".

As for a determination of "unfluency", how exactly would that be done objectively? :lol

Medicator007

Archived