Premed 101 Forums

Check Minerva!!!

Guest bearman14

Guest bearman14

Hey Folks,

Just wanted to tell you all (OOP applicants) to check your minerva account. They've changed my status (REALLY GOOD NEWS!!), but of course I'll have to hold off on my exhaltation until official word via snail mail.:D

Good luck all!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ethan

i was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention this turn of events. ;) 30-35 hours. not bad. :b

congrats and may the red envelope hie.

ethan

(apologies in advance if this multiposts. browser was crashing.)

Guest Kirsteen

bearman14: that sounds really promising!!! What's your status? (I've absolutely nothing to do with McGill, but your e-mail is enticing!) :D

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey Bearman14, which program did you apply for (MD, MD/PhD, or MD/MBA)? Maybe they make decisions separately for different programs even though we're all OPP?:rolleyes

Guest bearman14

Hey guys,

Wow, thanks for the well-wishes! Makes a guy feel good! :D

Anyhoo, here's the (un)official scoop:

My Minerva account now reads "Decision -- 01 Admitted". I called McGill this morning, to see if they could confirm this for me. I didn't talk to Marlene (I think they lady's name was Jodi, but I could be totally wrong) and was told they would phone me back to confirm. I am still waiting to hear.

I've checked my Minerva account several times today (call me obsessive) in light of some of your comments (I have this fear that I'm going to log on, and the status will have been changed back to "Ready for Review") but it still reads the same, and gives me the option to pay my $500 deposit via credit card. I'm thinking I might just pay it, in the hopes that once they have my money they can't reverse anything :P

I apologize if I've caused any panic -- I didn't realize that they wouldn't update everyone's files at the same time. CLYL -- I applied to the MD program (OOP). Good luck everyone, and I really do hope that you get the good news you all deserve!

The Bear

ps) BCgirl: I don't think I'll see you at Western now -- good luck there!

pps) Kirsteen: I don't know you from a hole in the wall (though BCgirl has told me you're really nice :) ), but I have read many of your posts on this site, and I have this to say: A more optimistic and encouraging person I have yet to meet (or read posts from, as the case may be). I am also a "mature" student (though I use the term loosely) who has been at this for several years, and I am amazed that somehow you have fallen through the cracks of our Canadian Med School Admissions process. I really hope you keep at this, as you seem like the exact type of person that our health care system needs. Cheers!

Guest Kirsteen

bearman14--WAY TO GO!

That Minerva site really seems to be a gem. (It'd be grand if all Canadian medical schools implemented a sister version.)

Thanks for your kind words. :o BCGirl and I go way back... ...to last year and the UBC turmoils. ;) She's great. I wonder if you'll be classmates this year?

There's actually a small chance that I'll be hanging out in Montreal in parts of the Faculty of Medicine this summer as I'm hoping to take at least one of the summer Epi courses offered. It would be nice to check out part of the illustrious school and absorb some more of that fabulous Montreal vibe that you'll come to know so well. :)

Cheers and well done again,

Kirsteen

Guest ethan

does anyone know if letters have actually been sent? it would be nice to know its "official". only once i have letter in hand will i be certain i am not dreaming. :\

Guest bearman14

Hey Ethan (and anyone else interested),

I talked to Marlene today. Evidently, if your status reads "admitted" on Minerva, that's indeed what you are. She told me that they have changed the status for all students who have been granted admission, and that the official letters will be sent out this Wednesday (Mar. 26). For all others (waitlist, etc), they will be updating the Minerva accounts this Friday (Monday at the latest) and will send out those letters early next week.

I take it from your post that you also received good news -- congratulations!

Guest medicator007

Ethan and Bearman,

Congrats and see you both at Orientation... feel free to post any inquiries here.

Good luck to all those still waiting!

Medicator

Hi BCgirl, could you explain what pfo stands for? My status hasn't changed on Minerva, so I'm assuming I wasn't accepted :( Oh well. Congrats to those with good news! :)

I just checked my status again and it now says "waitlist"...does anyone by any chance know how the McGill waitlist works? i.e. how many people are on it and is it ranked? Also, how likely do people get accepted off the waiting list for OPP? Any info will be greatly appreciated! :)

Guest Phil667

Hey, I got my PFO letter in the mail too.

A PFO letter stands for "Please f##k-off". It is the med schools way of politely telling you to take a hike.

Phil

Guest medicator007

Hey CLYL,

The McGill waitlist works in a ranked manner such that as soon as someone from the OOP acceptances rescinds their offer that spot will be offered to the first person on the list and so forth.

I don't know how long the waitlist is for the OOP contest, but I can tell you that people in my class did get in from waitlists. I know the last thing you want to hear is that you have to wait some more, but unfortunately that is the case :-( One guy in our class got in the day before classes!

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest multifish

CLYL, I'm in the same boat...just found out I'm waitlisted. It would be great to know how long the waiting list is, and where you fall...then we could work on building up expectations or hacking them down, accordingly.

BCgirl, that sucks a**; but you do have Dal, and I think you'll get a few others as well

Guest McGill03

Multifish,

If you call admissions, you can find out if you're in the top half or the bottom half of the list. Not great, but better than nothing, I guess.

Also, people who were accepted have until May 15 to refund their deposit, so the waitlist may not move much before then.

Guest Biochem10

Hey McGill03, if I remember correctly you were applying to the MD/PhD program. If you don't mind me asking, what is your status? I have yet to hear because I'm in the in-province bunch, but I'll let you know as soon as I do.

Guest McGill03

Hey Biochem

Unfortunately, I'm waitlisted. They'll call me back to tell me which half of the list I'm in.

I know McGill has MD/PhD quotas (1 for each of int'l, OOP, and IP, I believe). So, even if I make it off the MD waitlist, it's no guarantee I'll get into the combined program.

On the bright side, I have my UT interviews this weekend. I don't have to worry about the OOP restriction there, and I don't think they have strict limits on MD/PhD admissions.

Guest Biochem10

Hey McGill03, good luck on your U of T interviews this weekend. I don't know if you checked the U of T forum, but when I inquired about decisions, they told me that they would be making them shortly. (one week after your interview) I don't think there is a quota at McGill for people getting into the MD/PhD program in terms of residency because I met two MD/PhDers who were in the same year who were both OOP--oops, actually one was international and the other was OOP, so you might be right. Anyway, congrats on being waitlisted, I think that's still a pretty big accomplishment considering the number of OOP students accepted. (not that makes you feel any better) Where's your first choice, if you don't mind me asking? Do you have any other interviews besides U of T and McGill?

Guest McGill03

Biochem10,

I interviewed at Calgary as well, originally because I was interested in their MD/PhD program. The more and more I think about it though, if I end up going there, I'd probably just do the MD half (it's 3 yrs) and then go elsewhere for a PhD.

Between UT and McGill, it's close and I'd be happy to go to either school. I'm leaning towards McGill because I'd like to stay in Montreal, I'm under the impression they push you through your PhD a little faster than normal, and I have friends in both programs there who speak highly of the school. (Not to mention the fact I've had a very positive undergrad here.)

Don't quote me on the quota issue (1-1-1), but I'm pretty sure that's what Dr. Trasler said in my interview.

Guest Biochem10

Hey McGill03, looks like you & I are in the same boat... I only interviewed at U of T and McGill, but my first choice is Toronto because that's where I'm originally from and I really like the research environment there. Anyway, I hope we both get into at least one school, may be we'll even be classmates! I'd be really happy to get into the combined program, but the odds at McGill seem pretty slim. The nice thing is those people who applied to the states might turn down an acceptance, so hopefully something will work out.

Archived