Premed 101 Forums

Check Minerva!!!

Guest bearman14

To all those waitlisted, I called the admissions office this morning and found out that there are 26 people on the OOP waitlist...so even if you're in the top half of the list, it doesn't seem like there's much chance of being admitted unless you're 1 of the top 5 and for some reason those admitted decide not to attend McGill (how likely is that? :b )...oh well, I guess it's just another waiting game from now until classes start...btw: they said the official letter will be mailed out today or tomorrow...

did I mention waiting sucks? :(

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BCgirl

hey CLYL,

when I was interviewing at McGill, I was told that all of the current oop med I's got in off the waitlist, so hopefully there will be some waitlist movement for you guys too.

Best of luck :)

Is that really true? :eek if so, that's certainly reassuring BCgirl! And I'm sorry to hear about your tough luck with McGill, but I'm sure you'll get accepted somewhere even better!

well, I'm guessing the waitlist won't be moving until people find out about the Ontario med schools...so back to waiting for me...

Guest UPENN2003

Hello all,

Like some of you, I have also been placed on the waiting-list under oop category. 26 people on the waiting-list, eh? It looks like they don't reject anyone who interviewed.

I really enjoyed my time at McGill/Montreal during the interview weekend, but i guess it's not meant to be..

When do Ontario schools make their decisions? I have an offer in the States, but I wonder how long I would have to wait to hear from Mcgill again about their waitlist decisions

thanks

Guest BCgirl

hey UPENN2003... unfortunately, I know first hand that they do reject some interviewees... it's actually quite a nice letter :) I had the pleasure of reading it last night.

Best of luck with the waitlist everyone :)

Guest medicator007

Hey folks,

I dont know whether or not ALL OOP meds in our class got in off of the waitlist, but I know for sure that some did....so there certainly is hope!

BCGirl, sorry about the rejection letter and I hope that things work out better elsewhere!

UPENN2003.... glad you enjoyed your time here in Montreal, best of luck with the waitlist and perhaps if ur lucky you can spend lots of time getting to know the city!

Cheers,

Medicator

Hi UPENN2003,

Ontario schools won't be sending out offers until the end of May, and anyone currently holding McGill acceptances have until June 15 for a full refund of their deposit (should they decide to attend an Ontario school). So, if I were you, I'd definitely continue holding the spot in the states as you probably won't hear from McGill until sometime in June. In case you didn't know, you can also call the admissions office to find out which half of the waiting list you're on. That will give you a better idea of your chances. Hope that helped :)

Guest BCgirl

Thanks medicator. At least I've got an acceptance already to Dalhousie... that definitely softened the blow. This makes my "choice" easier :) ... before I got the rejection, I was thinking it would be a tough decision to make if I was accepted to McGill. McGill did seem like an awesome school though...

Guest medicator007

Hey BCGirl,

I remember reading about ur acceptance, perhaps i even congratulated you on it... this whole med school thing is really reaking havoc with my brain though so forgive me if i am repeating myself!

I guess McGill's loss is Dal's gain....

cheers,

medicator

hi guys,

i was accepted (OOP) this past march. but i'll be declining. so for those of you on the waitlist, you're moving up one.

good luck.

just have to keep waiting.

Hi Islo,

just out of curiosity, which school are you choosing over McGill? and thanks for sharing this info...maybe one of us waitlisters will hear from McGill next week!

hi there,

i'm holding out for UBC or Toronto. right now, my backup is Alberta. i was really impressed with McGill and had quite a tough time deciding which of McGill or Alberta i was going to hold onto for the moment. actually even now, i'm not sure what my exact motivations were. it could just be that edmonton's closer to home, cheaper travel, cheaper living (although if i go to Toronto, it's a whole different logic). well, i live in vancouver now, and i was born and grew up in toronto. somehow, i just feel at more at home there.

yeah, i guess that's it.

Guest Biochem10

My program type changed this morning on Minerva, it says "MD program" rather than "MD/PhD program", I guess this is their subtle way of telling me I've been rejected to the combined program?! Oh well, I hope at least I have a shot at the MD program. Did this happen to anyone else?

Guest McGill03

Hi Biochem10

Mine still says "MDCM & PhD." Unfortunately, it also still says "Waiting List."

I hope we're both in the next round of UT acceptances!

Guest Biochem10

Did you call U of T too on Monday?? I don't think we'll be hearing from them until the beginning of May (if we're in the next round), so I've stopped obsessively checking the mailbox. This waiting is horrible... how are your exams going??

Guest McGill03

No, I didn't call U of T... Thanks for letting me know we won't hear until the beginning of May. I'll start stressing again then :)

Out of curiosity, do you know why they have different rounds? They've interviewed all of the candidates, so couldn't they just send out all the admission offers at once?

I think peachy mentioned there were only three offers made-- surely they have more than that number, right? I think there are 6 or so in the first yr class right now.

As for exams, I have a bad case of senioritis, and am finding it very hard to study. Had one yesterday (easy arts class), but I have four next week. How are yours going?

Guest peachy

Hey McGill03,

It was actually Biochem10 who mentioned the "3 offers" thing - I haven't heard about it except from her. :)

No idea why they don't just tell everybody at once ... why don't you ask Sandy? She's super-nice. :) From the MD/PhD website it seems that there are indeed six people in this year's first-year class, and they must have made more than six offers to get those six people. Also, if you read the Faculty Academic Plan, they are apparently trying to double the size of the MD/PhD program! So there must be many more offers coming.

I am very seriously suffering from "senioritis" as well. I like that term! :lol Okay, back to studying, for real this time. ;)

peachy

Guest Biochem10

Peachy & McGill03,

Glad to see I'm not alone in my concentration/studying issues. When I spoke to Sandy she said that they sent out 3 offers and more would come soon (she said they are sending one or two at a time). I have no idea why they're doing this, but she did say they're trying to secure funding for everyone they offer a spot to...I don't know if that means partial tuition scholarships and/or stipends? Anyway, she told me that when they hear back from those they offered a spot, they will send more. Peachy mentioned that she has until May 9th to accept, so I'm assuming things won't be happening until the beginning of May. Hope this brings some sort of clarity.

Guest UPENN2003

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your responses. They have been very helpful!

I accepted a place on the waiting list last week. Today I checked Minerva out of pure boredom, and it looked like my status changed. Before it specifically said i was on the waiting list. But now, on the "Admit term" line, it just says "Fall 2003" Does this mean I got in? Or does this happen when you accept a place on the waitlist?

oh and it looks like i'm being considered for MDCM only now...

Guest bearman14

Hey UPENN2003

I certainly don't know if it means anything, but if I can add to your sense of excitement, I have been admitted, and my Minerva account now says the same thing (Admit Term -- Fall 2003). It must have been changed today, as the layout is different than it was before. You may want to call to find out...

Does it give you the option of paying your deposit?

Good luck!

Guest Biochem10

Mine also says "Admit Term--Fall 2003", but it also says Status "Ready for Review" on the first line. What does it say on your Status line UPENN?

Guest UPENN2003

hey,

this is what it says... am i missing a status line???

Admit Term: Fall 2003

Admit Type: US University/College

i better call the office

Guest medicator007

I'd love to be of help.... but this MINERVA system is brand new... I have only used it to confirm that I am coming back to school next year.

Hope all these "status lines" turn out to be good news for you all!

Medicator

Guest G8M8T

I do not think that the "Admit Term: Fall 2003" means that we are in. To be honest, one of the two interviews went so badly for me that I do not expect to get in. Yet, my status line has also disappeared and the "Admit Term: Fall 2003" line has appeared.

Archived