Premed 101 Forums

Check Minerva!!!

Guest bearman14

Guest Blackbird15

hey there,

I just checked my minerva account and it's similar to UPENN's. No status line, but it says Admit term - Fall 2003... hmmm... iiiiinteresting... I know that the letters are going out mid next week, so I'll just wait... no, I won't call, I won't harass any more admissions people... I'll just wait... however, if whoever decides to call the admissions office would like to share the information with the group, they should feel free to do so... ;)

Blackbird

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest G8M8T

Hi guys. Apparently, they enter the final decisions in to Minerva as soon as the decisions are made. Because of this, some people would know their status sooner than others. As a result, they made the Status line invisible. The line is to appear again next Wednesday, April 23 - the same day all the letters will be mailed out.

Guest Blackbird15

Thanks for the info G8M8T! I was re-reading bearman's post and thinking that the dissapearing status line probably didn't mean anything... oh, well... less than a week to go...

Bearman, I read in your post that you're an OOP student. Is McGill your first choice, or are you waiting to hear from other universities?

take care,

Blackbird

Guest bearman14

Hey Blackbird,

At this stage, I really don't know. I was very impressed with McGill when I was there -- the students were great, the hospital was amazing, the campus is beautiful, and Montreal is... well, Montreal. But there are a couple things that would hold me back -- my wife is a nurse, and has had a BRUTAL time so far trying to get her registration sorted out with Quebec, plus the fact that she would have to pass a french competency exam to work (or take lessons for 4 years). Also, Quebec currently has the lowest wages for nurses in the country (though hopefully that may change with the new government :) ) The other school that would dissuade me from attending McGill is UBC. I like their program, and I tend to spend every ounce of free time I have available buried in the backcountry, so the geographical issues of Montreal vs. Vancouver are definitely playing on my mind (not to mention my undying affection with the Canucks, who are killing me right now!!!!) If I am fortunate enough to receive admission there, it will be a VERY difficult decision to make -- though there is a strong possibility I may not have to make that decision :P At this stage, I've only been accepted to one school, and I am kind of planning on that. If I hear good news from UBC in May, then we'll see, I guess. How about yourself?

Bearman

Guest Blackbird15

Hey Bearman,

Your wife's issues with the licencing board sound really frustrating... and the whole bilingual thing is a pretty major stumbling block for a lot of people who move here from the rest of Canada... and my brother's girlfriend is a nurse in Quebec, so I hear all about the treatment of nurses (in terms of wages and working conditions)... I'm sure you've also heard about the treatment of doctors in Quebec!

Anyway, as for my top choice, I'm not sure... I'm a Quebec resident, so i have yet to receive an offer from McGill, so this may be a non-issue... I guess McGill would be my first choice and I would be THRILLED to get accepted there, but mostly because I'd like to come back to Montreal (where I'm originally from)... Us quebec applicants weren't courted as much as you OOPers were (no tours or opportunities to chat with the med students on the day of the interview), so i didn't really get a sense of what the med school was like. McGill has a great reputation and great faculty, but seems to offer very little PBL and small-group learning, which I think are innovative and exciting ways to learn. Their curriculum hasn't really changed with the times... ofcourseIcouldbewrongpleasedon'tflameme

Hmmm... I guess time will tell exactly what my options are, or even if I have any!

take care,

Blackbird

Guest medicator007

Hey Bearman and Blackbird,

My mother as well is a nurse in Quebec, and so i'm not at all surprised at the difficulties gaining licensure and can as well attest that the wages and treatment of nurses here is far less than they deserve... as to whether this will change with the new government, who knows?!

Blackbird, your assessment of the McGill curriculum is correct, there is very little small group learning. Since the major reform the number of small group sessions has been increasing, but is still less than most other schools. Whether this is a good/bad thing is highly personal... overall I dont find the small group sessions all that useful, though it is highly dependant on how motivated the tutor is... other students swear by them.

One thing i must give credit to the faculty for is the manner in which they respond to student feedback. We complete evaluations of each unit afterwards and if enough students reccommend new topics, removal of certain topics or profs etc... the administration is great about acting in a proactive manner... slowly but surely they change!

Good luck to you all!

Medicator

Guest Blackbird15

Thanks for your response Medicator. It's good to know that the faculty is open to suggestions....

I can't believe that after all this time and all this waiting, I'll find out on Wednesday whether or not I'm in!

Blackbird

Guest lostone

i was online on wednesday. i am a quebec resident. i checked and the status was still there. it read "refused".

i was horrified. i still am. no one can explain it to me which makes it scarier.

at night the status box disappeared.

i am ruined.

Guest Blackbird15

Hey lostone,

I'm really sorry to hear about that... are you sure it's accurate? If so, I really feel for you... I can understand how tough it must be after all this waiting and going through the application process to get a rejection. Is McGill the only school you applied to, or is there hope of getting accepted elsewhere? In any case, it may not seem like it now, but this is not the final word on whether or not you will become a doctor... many people on this forum are on their second or even third year applying to med school. Many people don't get in their first time around... If you're in fourth year, try to look at this as an opportunity to take next year to gain some good experience. I took the year off after my undergrad to travel and get some work experience and don't regret it a bit.

take care,

Blackbird

Guest salondemai49

lostone,

I also received bad news on Wednesday, and it's only starting to sink in now. I feel your devastation. I agree with Blackbird that if you're still in school, years off for experience are incredibly enriching, and do help with applying in many cases. (Unfortunately for me, I've already had two extra years, so I feel I'm in a hard place). I do know of someone who did get in, to McGill, in their final opportunity to re-apply (I think you can make a max of three applications); it's encouraging to know that McGill takes repeat applicants seriously. Take care.

Guest Biochem10

Sorry to hear about your rejections... I checked Minerva quite a few times before my status line "disappeared", but there wasn't any decision posted. I'm sure there will be plenty of posts on Wednesday when everyone gets the news. Anyway, keep trying and don't give up, if medicine is what you really want to do, don't let this discourage you.

Archived