Premed 101 Forums

Biochemistry

So next semester I'm starting my first year in Dietetics, and I'm really nervous about the biochemistry part.

I was thinking since I'm free right now I could get a head-start and maybe study in advance (I know this sounds completely loserish but it really helps me calm down when I sort of know what to expect) so I was looking for a biochemistry book that I could use while self-studying.

This is the course description from the school website:

Biochemistry 1

Life Sciences: Biochemistry of carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, nucleic acids; enzymes and coenzymes. Introduction to intermediary metabolism.

Now this reminds me of Biology I from CEGEP...but I'm assuming it won't be the same. I tried searching for Cliffs Biochemistry I book but I checked on amazon the table of content and it doesn't look like it contains the stuff I need...

http://www.amazon.ca/CliffsQuickReview-Biochemistry-I-Frank-Schmidt/dp/0764585630/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275606660&sr=8-1

Does anybody have any suggestions for me (like study book?) I don't want to spend like 100$ on an actual manual though until I know which book I'll have to buy for school.

I'm not really looking to learn EVERYTHING I'll be learning in school of course, just the basics.

Thanks in advance,

Mii

Thank you for the quick responses, I'll def look into those two books.

Sarah_2020, if you don't mind me asking, is that for the biochem for dietetics or for a biochem major? Unless the two classes are going to have the same material @.@ which I'd hope not.

And see that's what I'm wondering, it was about a year ago so I'm not sure about the other stuff but I know 100% I already learned the protein structures, photosynthesis, glycolysis, krebs cycle, ETC, amino acid properties in CEGEP in biology I...and I guess a bit in biology II...is this normal? Or should I expect a more in-depth sort of thing...?

Sarah_2020, if you don't mind me asking, is that for the biochem for dietetics or for a biochem major? Unless the two classes are going to have the same material @.@ which I'd hope not.

And see that's what I'm wondering, it was about a year ago so I'm not sure about the other stuff but I know 100% I already learned the protein structures, photosynthesis, glycolysis, krebs cycle, ETC, amino acid properties in CEGEP in biology I...and I guess a bit in biology II...is this normal? Or should I expect a more in-depth sort of thing...?

It is normal that you've already learned some stuff about structure of carbs etc and glycolysis in CEGEP. A university level biochemistry class usually covers this material much more in depth. You'll also get to learn lots of new pathways and maybe laboratory techniques (at least in theory) such as western/southern etc blotting. In some schools, they even have a whole 3 credits class where they learn ''structural biochemistry'' (ie structure of proteins etc), a whole class on metabolic pathways, another 3 credits class on enzymes and another (or even a few) class on molecular biology (DNA etc). Don't worry, there's lots of material and you haven't covered everything in CEGEP.

Good luck!

Just a general bchem course...the specifics would depend on which uni you go to and the prof teaching it...Those were just some of the topics i learned in my 3rd yr biochem course (2 semesters)...

if you want to get ahead... i suggest you start memorizing pathways. i don't know how it will be examined at your university, but when i took it, i had to memorize the structure, reactants, products, etc for the whole pathway. if you know the pathways beforehand, you will not get mixed up as easily and can follow along better in lecture.

Archived