Premed 101 Forums

Mature Non-trad's doing their 1st undergrad degree?

Hey all,

Just wondering how many older students are still doing their 1st undergrad? I feel so alone!

I'll admit, if I told you my age I would get the speech about how young I am still. But I can't help it. I feel old to still be doing my 1st undergrad degree, and I consider myself a mature student - I've graduated college, I'm engaged, have my own house/car (quite the drive to campus), and have had a crap-load of "road blocks" so to speak that I've had to overcome (but for what it's worth I guess I'll be able to write a really stunning ABS lol). I'm going into my 3rd year with people that graduated high school 4 years after me. A little depressing (especially when I see people who graduated high school a while after me getting accepted to med school!) I just don't feel like I can relate to anyone in my year...or my school for that matter (but there must be others right!?)

I'd love to hear from people in a similar situation as me!

There's the second degree crew, but where's the Mature/Non-trad first degree crew at?! (not quite as catchy, and I won't be hurt if that name doesn't catch on);)

I remember when I transferred to York from U of T, I had to take a bunch of first year courses (I transferred after 2nd year, and I stayed an extra year of high school). I was taking classes with people 3 to 4 years younger than me :o

But, I just sucked it up, made some friends (age is just a number, right? Or at least that is what Alliyah says), and did well enough I suppose. :)

So no worries, I know how it feels, but it feels just that much more awesome when you succeed :)

I'm one.

-Mature student (still in my 20s but probably older than you)

-Married with a mortgage (actually 2 since I have my own property that I bought years before I married).

-1st degree

-Planning to have a baby before I finally (key word) graduate.

-Will be applying to med in my early 30s.

-Back up is research, primarily immunology

You just have to stop feeling sorry for yourself, read the Twilight books, and listen to the Jonas Brothers so you have something to discuss with your lab partner. ;)

Some universities seem to be more "mature student" friendly than others. Some even have mature student clubs and lounges.

Joining clubs and groups in general sometimes exposes you to a wider variety of people, including older students. Through this you also get some of that lost university "experience" that us older students sometimes feel has passed us by.

I have found personally that the "student health education" clubs often have quite a number of "older" (I use the term loosely) pre-professional, nursing, and pharmacy students, including those working on their first degree. Since most people in the groups are also very passionate about the topic, it's easy to relate to those in your group, regardless of age.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like, it can be difficult to find where you "fit in", especially when many of the older students are on their second degrees and have "been there, done that".

Best of luck in your studies. :)

I'm gonna be 27 this year. I have had two children while completing this degree. My "first" degree. It's technically a second attempt at a degree, but it's still a first degree. The people I went to high school with are already MDs, NDs, dentists, dental hygenists, engineers, and bums (lol)--I'm the only one still in school!

I'm one.

-Mature student (still in my 20s but probably older than you)

-Married with a mortgage (actually 2 since I have my own property that I bought years before I married).

-1st degree

-Planning to have a baby before I finally (key word) graduate.

-Will be applying to med in my early 30s.

-Back up is research, primarily immunology

You just have to stop feeling sorry for yourself, read the Twilight books, and listen to the Jonas Brothers so you have something to discuss with your lab partner. ;)

Some universities seem to be more "mature student" friendly than others. Some even have mature student clubs and lounges.

Joining clubs and groups in general sometimes exposes you to a wider variety of people, including older students. Through this you also get some of that lost university "experience" that us older students sometimes feel has passed us by.

I have found personally that the "student health education" clubs often have quite a number of "older" (I use the term loosely) pre-professional, nursing, and pharmacy students, including those working on their first degree. Since most people in the groups are also very passionate about the topic, it's easy to relate to those in your group, regardless of age.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like, it can be difficult to find where you "fit in", especially when many of the older students are on their second degrees and have "been there, done that".

Best of luck in your studies. :)

It's nice to know I'm not the only one (even though I knew it, still hearing it from someone else is comforting I guess).

I am having such a hard time finding my place in this school! I feel like I can't relate to anyone...I've had a lot of crap happen to me, and I guess I'm a little bitter about my undergrad degree not going as smoothly as it seems to have gone for many others (ie finishing it in 4 years, etc).

Anyways I'm trying to snap out of the "feeling sorry for myself" phase lol, its hard, I get that little pang of jealousy every now and then, and it takes me back. But onwards and upwards right!?

It's nice to know I'm not the only one (even though I knew it, still hearing it from someone else is comforting I guess).

I am having such a hard time finding my place in this school! I feel like I can't relate to anyone...I've had a lot of crap happen to me, and I guess I'm a little bitter about my undergrad degree not going as smoothly as it seems to have gone for many others (ie finishing it in 4 years, etc).

Anyways I'm trying to snap out of the "feeling sorry for myself" phase lol, its hard, I get that little pang of jealousy every now and then, and it takes me back. But onwards and upwards right!?

It DOES help to know that there are others in the same boat. I completely understand where you are coming from. It IS hard when you feel like you have no support or anyone you can relate to.

Essentially, you have completely different priorities and life experiences from the vast majority of your classmates. That said, you are all reaching for the same goals, so remember what the end result is. :)

What matters is not so much where you are now, but where you have been and where you are going.

Or is that too Tony Robbins/80s motivational speaker? :D

Sincerely,

The Old Fart Pre-Med (1st degree)

It DOES help to know that there are others in the same boat. I completely understand where you are coming from. It IS hard when you feel like you have no support or anyone you can relate to.

Essentially, you have completely different priorities and life experiences from the vast majority of your classmates. That said, you are all reaching for the same goals, so remember what the end result is. :)

What matters is not so much where you are now, but where you have been and where you are going.

Or is that too Tony Robbins/80s motivational speaker? :D

Sincerely,

The Old Fart Pre-Med (1st degree)

I definately have different priorities then my classmates that's for sure (judging from many conversations I've overheard in class lol) I highly doubt any of them are concerned with wedding planning, or going to bed early on a Friday night!

I like the motivational stuff too:p

There's a centre for mature women students at my school that I've wanted to check out, and in fact I've loitered outside it a few times but I'm too nervous to go in lol It probably wouldn't happen, but I have this fear of going in and then being told I'm too young to be in there. I'm going to try to get the courage up to go in soon, hopefully I'll find what I'm looking for!

Archived