Premed 101 Forums

Another question about prereqs

So, it says that I need a full year course in biology with labs. Does that mean that both semesters have to have a lab component? I ask because I have only taken two 1-semester biology classes, but only one of them had a lab component to it.

Also, in the uottawa faq it mentions an equivalencies table for Quebec CEGEP courses, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone know where I can find it?

So, it says that I need a full year course in biology with labs. Does that mean that both semesters have to have a lab component? I ask because I have only taken two 1-semester biology classes, but only one of them had a lab component to it. quote]

I have the exact same question.

Also how closely are your prereq marks examined? For example, I took 1st year university bio in my first year after being out of highschool for 3 years and I hadn't taken bio since grade 10. I managed a 63 in it, which was way better than I thought I'd do! If ottawa only looks at the last 3 years wgpa, are they going to examine my marks for the prereq's individually? Is that 63 going to matter as long as I have the prereq?

for bchen, here is a equivalence table for cegep students

http://www.medicine.uottawa.ca/Students/MD/Admissions/eng/equivalency_table.html

I asked before your question bchen, your biology classes need to have labs. Otherwise, they cannot be considered as equivalent.

If you have question for the admission office, you can ask them at:

admissmd@uottawa.ca

They're actually pretty quick.

However, I have a question too. Does our CEGEP marks count in the weighted cGPA when we apply to UOttawa? I got some really contradicting answers regarding this.

On the website, it says that "A candidate who has completed more than the three required years, only the three most recent years of undergraduate studies will be used to determine the WGPA".

But it also says that "A candidate who has completed only two years, but is registered in third year at the time of application, will have the second year marks counted times two and the first year marks times one."

So I guess the point is that you need at least three years of post-secondary studies. If you've completed two years of university, and do no plan to pursue a third year (i.e. you're not registered for a third year), then you need your last CEGEP year to count as the third year of post-secondary study, and your CEGEP marks will be used to calculate the wGPA.

Otherwise if you're registered for a third year in university, then the three years of post-secondary studies can be met by your university studies alone, and your CEGEP marks won't be counted.

But it doesn't hurt to ask them to be sure :P.

Source: http://www.med.uottawa.ca/Students/MD/Admissions/eng/excellence_marks.html

Hey I found this.

quote:Students from a CEGEP of the province of Quebec are not eligible to submit an application to the first medical year of the University of Ottawa. An applicant who has obtained the “Diplôme d’études collégiales” from Quebec (CEGEP) must complete in addition two years of full-time studies (minimum of five full year courses each year) in an undergraduate program leading to a bachelor’s degree in a recognized university, including the necessary prerequisite courses.

source:http://www.med.uottawa.ca/Students/MD/Admissions/eng/cegep_studies.html

It doesn't say anything about the GPA calculation though. I'm going to ask the admission office again.

Archived