Premed 101 Forums

Why do you want to become a doctor?

Is there any specific reason that you decided to pursue medecine? At any point in your life did you live an experience that made you decide you wanted to study medecine? Did you decide at a young age that you wanted to become a Dr.?

I thought it would be intressting to see some of people's motivations to study in the field of medecine, what the determining factors were for them, so on and so forth :D

Guest WarrenAch

Most people are gonna lie about it 0.0...just say it...for money and prestige right ?...Nah just joking XD

I want to become a Medical Doctor because i want to make a difference and because i love human body...

Not going there for the money or prestige(i would have went in Investment Banking if it was the case...),even though MD salaries are pretty great,but at the cost of having no life and study 10x more.

Still,it will be worth it,i loved this career since i was 5 years old or so...

Working my way up to it,like lots of people eh?Following a dream may be crazy but totally possible.

It was the only career that combined (potentially):

-an intellectual challenge everyday

-can never get bored (can always bounce between clinic work, research, or just do another residency/fellowship)

-have meaningful impact on people's lives - from the local community to other international countries who need aid

-being a leader

-you will continue to learn throughout your lifetime

I looked into many different professions, and only in medicine you can find all these things

I can remember wanting to be Dr when I was 12. always been curious about things hurt and injured, didn't think i could put an animal down. Became a paramedic and do it for the last 21 years. I want to do more than what I can currently do, want more challenge and responsibilty. I have to tell people, I am not a dr, all I can do is take you to ER. Mean while, I know that they have a raging UTI that can be seen by a GP but I am not allowed for liability reasons to do this, (Although sometimes my outside voice is louder than i want...). I am not getting into it for $$, I make enough now but job satisfaction is low in my present job. I think pt need to be educated on why and how they need to take their medications. We need to reduce the load on er dept and one way is to educate people why and when to go to er. I could go on, but I think GP can make a ...big change in the pre hospital setting though education of patients. Just my opinion

It was the only career that combined (potentially):

-an intellectual challenge everyday

-can never get bored (can always bounce between clinic work, research, or just do another residency/fellowship)

-have meaningful impact on people's lives - from the local community to other international countries who need aid

-being a leader

-you will continue to learn throughout your lifetime

I looked into many different professions, and only in medicine you can find all these things

For those reasons and the fact that I can practice medicine in a smaller community (~100,000 or less).

I could have definitely been happy in other careers, but they aren't available in the communities that I want to work in.

I want to be a Dr for a variety of reasons....Although the financial benefits of the job as well as the prestige of the job are not a big part of the reason, Im not going to lie, they are definately a part of my motivations. I want to be able to make long lasting impressions on people and hopefully make a difference in peoples lives. I am fascinated by the human body all all related to it. Oh! And I most definately want the bag, thats part of it.....Not to mention the fact that my name would be uber adorable preceeded by Dr. (just kidding)

Helping people and treatment is bull majority of the time. Its basically prestige (Dr._) in your name, the money, and parents have a lot to do with it (also correlated with prestige and social status).

Is there any specific reason that you decided to pursue medecine? At any point in your life did you live an experience that made you decide you wanted to study medecine? Did you decide at a young age that you wanted to become a Dr.?

I thought it would be intressting to see some of people's motivations to study in the field of medecine, what the determining factors were for them, so on and so forth :D

• 2 weeks later...

Medicine/healing is the only career that can affect every person in the world, no matter what the political/economic/etc situation. I like to make things more effective and aside from clinical stuff (I love surgery!), I'm excited to do some solid research.

For me, its definitely not for the cash... I'm already a banker. I just can't get no satifaction in that industry tho! I need something for my soul - knowing that I'm helping not exacerbating problems.

<3 for everyone! it's the fact that you're doing a job where you're very much asserting your existence that gets me; you're interacting with someone in such a poetic way by saving their life. it's something that no other job can offer you (unless you're ending lives :P)

I actually did not know I wanted to be a doctor until I was in Grade 11, but my thoughts have never faltered since then. When I was 14, I was diagnosed with an eating disorder, due to untreated anxiety. This disorder consumed my life, and I ended up being hospitalized for 9 months. The psychiatrist at the hospital saved my life, and I will forever owe my beating heart and breathing lungs to him. This man inspired me beyond belief.

Today, several years later, I am completely and fully recovered. I decided that I would like to make my living giving people a second chance, as I was given. That doctor who I turned to and was able to trust without a doubt is who I would like to be, and that is my reason for pursuing medicine.

Now I just have to make it come true! :)

This has turned out a little long- but I had fun writing it!

I wanted to be a physician when I was a kid. I got sidetracked when I went to university, but then I traveled, I worked in healthcare as a personal trainer, and I worked in a lot of people-focused jobs.

When I was about 18-19 I went through a really anti-social stage, but then I was able to travel, open up to meet totally different people, and learn that I am friendlier and more patient than I thought I was. I worked in fitness-related jobs for a few years, starting out determining biomechanics and fitting running shoes (at the Running Room) and then I left and became a personal trainer. I thought briefly about working as a physio, but a quick conversation with my physio at the time made me realize that there are very few opportunites in small towns for physios. I had a diabetic client (actually a few) and I learned about diabetes and taught them, in their words, "more about my condition than my doctor ever has". I realized that I can communicate complex medical issues to my clients, and I have a gift for it. I couldn't be a personal trainer for my whole life. I was sick of having to make disclaimers before I said anything resembling a diagnosis. "I'm not allowed to tell you this, but you have classic plantar fasciitis" was something I said WAY too many times (please don't tell BCRPA about ths- I'll have my cert revoked :D)

I NEVER would have been a good doctor if I had done it right after high school. I gained the most valuble people skills by working and travel, and they will make me a really good physician.

I've figured out recntly that it's not prestige, not exactly, that I'm after, but I just love sharing knowledge. I love being capable and competent at what I'm doing. That doesn;t mean I'm infallible, but I just like my best work to be appreciated. My best work is really, really good, and I want it to be appreciated (I just realized that sentance sounds incredibly Ayn Rand-ian- oops).

Medicine/healing is the only career that can affect every person in the world, no matter what the political/economic/etc situation. I like to make things more effective and aside from clinical stuff (I love surgery!), I'm excited to do some solid research.

For me, its definitely not for the cash... I'm already a banker. I just can't get no satifaction in that industry tho! I need something for my soul - knowing that I'm helping not exacerbating problems.

Lol,if you don't work in U.S. and if you didn't get your MBA from a top school,you can forget satisfaction as a Banker,obviously.

Yea, my best friend is a CA working for one of the big firms in the US and feels the same way (she is in the process of getting her science pre-reqs and applying for meds)

Here's the twist - if you can't become a doctor for whatever reasons, what career would you have picked?

I would choose either Dentistry or Pharmacy.

I don't need to lie to myself and to other people,i want to do something rewarding,both financially and academically.Salary is not my only motivation on this,i have prime interest on science(except maths.) and this is exactly what i want to pursue.I can tell that 90% of people who say "it's my passion,i don't have a plan B" consider the profession as their passion just because they saw the salary chart,but i can't blame them,why the heck would i study hard,work hard,have no life after Med School(most of the time) to get a mediocre salary ?

If nothing works out,i might try B-School(Marketing,not banking),Law School(No criminal law.) or Game Designing(Any Bachelor.)

Archived