Premed 101 Forums

UofA vs UofO

i have the exact same dilemma and I am still trying to decide.Does anyone know if where you go for med school has a hand in deciding where you end up for residency.I am from Toronto,so no matter where I go for med school I want to come back to Toronto for my residency,so will going to Ottawa be a better idea than Alberta in that case,or does it not matter?

Well, the majority of students at any medical school will be from that province, so many will choose to stay come CaRMS time.. it doesn't mean that they won't be ranked highly by more distant schools. To sohini: since you already have ties to Toronto that you can refer to, it won't matter where you do medical school as long as you do electives in Toronto to familiarize yourself with the residency programs there.

Comparison help please!

You've probably already made your decision by now, but I was accepted by both schools first round as well and chose UofA. I'm like you where I would like to come back to Ottawa for residency though and with everyone I've talked to it's very possible to do your residency wherever you'd like as long as you take the right electives and familiarize yourself with physicians in the area you'd like to do your residency training.

Hope that helps! :)

Archived