Premed 101 Forums

Out of Province

Guest Phil667

Guest Phil667

Hello everyone,

I was thinking about applying to McGill (a bit late to be deciding now... I know), but I read that they only take 5-7 out of province students! Those chances seem slim. However, it all depends on how many OOP students apply (and how many they interview).

What are your impressions of a OOP applicants chances (given a high GPA & MCAT, and average EC's)?

Phil

Guest med2006McGill

The following is what I wrote before under the "Out-of-province applications to McGill" thread:

As an OOP province student in the 2006 class, I can give you guys a rough idea on OOP student selection. As long as you make the GPA and MCAT cutoff, the admissions officers only look at your essay and your reference letters when deciding who gets an interview. After the interview stage, the breakdown is as follows: 25% GPA, 25% MCAT, 25% interview and 25% essay.

Last year (based on previous posts), 300+ OOP applicants applied (I think the actual number was close to 400). They interviewed 46 people and accepted 8.

Guest doctorfunk

The thing is, they make it a big point to only have your references submit that one page assessment form with NO additional material. Doesn't that make it difficult to gauge the applicant?

Guest medicator007

I was wondering about that myself... u basically get a checklist and like 5 lines to make some comments. Don't know if it is the best way to gauge the applicant, but that is how the do it. Guess they are just looking for clear, concise and succint comments?

Anyhow, in the end it is only reference letters.....

Medicator

Guest medicator007

I have always been told that they do not read anything above and beyond what they request.... so officialy.. no there is no point in sending in a narrative statement

• 2 months later...

Archived