Premed 101 Forums

MDCM and MD?

Guest physiology

Guest physiology

I noticed that McGill (and perhaps the other French medical schools) offer the MDCM degree. Is it synonymous with the MD degree?

If it is, what's with the different name?

Guest medicator007

Physiology,

McGill is one of the few schools in the world to offer the MDCM degree, which for all intents and purposes is IDENTICAL to the MD that is given at most other schools.

MD= Doctorae Medicinae (Medical Doctor)

CM=Chirurgiae Magister (Master of Surgery)

The MDCM tradition is Scottish in nature and was founded at Edinburgh University. At the time Doctors were members of the health care community that had received education at university and thus held the degree MD. At the time surgeons were NOT university educated and were in fact normally trained by apprenticeship by other surgeons, though eventually came to be surpervised by the College of Surgeons who would ultimately grant the CM. (On a side note, this distinction was the reason why up until very recently, in fact some British Hospitals still do this, surgeons were called Mr. and NOT Dr. in spite of having gotten an MD). Since McGill medicine was founded out of the Montreal Medical Institute by four doctors trained at Edinburgh, McGill has traditionally granted the MDCM.

To the best of my knowledge, the only other school that grants the MDCM is Johns Hopkins which was founded by the famous McGill grad Sir William Osler.

Pardon the long winded response, did my minor in history, but I hope that answered your question. Basically, they are the same!

Cheers,

Medicator

Queen's also used to give the MD CM, which makes sense as the school itself was modelled on U of Edinburgh (heraldry buffs will note the connection on the Queen's coat of arms). For some unexplained reason (at least none I can find) they're only giving us the MD now. =( Wonder what it would take to revive the grand old tradition?

Guest medicator007

QM6,

Thanks for the info regarding Queen's and the MDCM. I wasnt aware that they used to grant the degree. Any idea of how recently they stopped granting it?

Cheers,

Medicator

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Medicator,

Finally have time to indulge my historian side now exams are over... last class I could find with the MD CM was Queen's Meds 1960. Still no luck finding an explanation why, but seeing as how the University of Edinburgh has always and probably will always give both Medicine and Surgery degrees to graduating med students, I don't see why Queen's shouldn't either. I say we revive the MD CM for Meds '06... but for now, looks like you guys are the only CMers in the Dominion (that might make a good Génies en herbe question for MedGames).

Guest medicator007

Hey QM6,

thanks for the info!

Curious that the CM was dropped from the program at Queen's and really rather intriguing given the universities rather storied past.

Alas, it would appear that we are the only CMers in this fine dominion (Little tidbit for you, Sir John A actually proposed Kingdom of Canada for a name, but britain turned it down) of ours.

Genies en herbes.... indeed, that would be a good question ;-)

Cheers,

Medicator

Archived