Premed 101 Forums

Class and Research Inquiry

• 5 months later...

Just a little update with how things are going this term.

I have done incredibly well this term and have managed to attain a 94% average this term. Like everyone said BMSC 240 was quite tricky and ended up being my lowest mark. BMSC 220 was incredibly challenging but I actually did incredibly well on it. I'm very happy with the way this term ended up.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions!

Now on to the next term!

So far this is what my classes look like;

BMSC 210,224, 230, PLSC 314 and I am currently registered in Nutrition 120. I know I have asked this before but how hard in Nutrition in comparison to some of the other BMSC classes? I am willing to put in the work for it, if it is possible to attain a 90+ in that class.

Any thoughts? If not, suggestions for a class to take to fill in the empty space?

Thanks again,

kwm

Just a little update with how things are going this term.

I have done incredibly well this term and have managed to attain a 94% average this term. Like everyone said BMSC 240 was quite tricky and ended up being my lowest mark. BMSC 220 was incredibly challenging but I actually did incredibly well on it. I'm very happy with the way this term ended up.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions!

Now on to the next term!

So far this is what my classes look like;

BMSC 210,224, 230, PLSC 314 and I am currently registered in Nutrition 120. I know I have asked this before but how hard in Nutrition in comparison to some of the other BMSC classes? I am willing to put in the work for it, if it is possible to attain a 90+ in that class.

Any thoughts? If not, suggestions for a class to take to fill in the empty space?

Thanks again,

kwm

I have heard Goeg 125 is easy; I am taking it this semester though

Congrats once again. With your average i doubt there are many courses where you could bomb (you are obviously bright). Why not go on with your BMSC streak? Personally dont know Nut 120 but it also sounds pretty easy. The first level of any course will probably be easy (econ 111, anthro..etc)

Congrats once again. With your average i doubt there are many courses where you could bomb (you are obviously bright). Why not go on with your BMSC streak? Personally dont know Nut 120 but it also sounds pretty easy. The first level of any course will probably be easy (econ 111, anthro..etc)

I have heard NUT120 is really hard. You can still do well but my friends (in second year med now) who had taken it, said that it was a stressful experience.

Any body taken BIOL 226? any feedbacks??? Hard, easy???

• 3 months later...
@kwm: any insights on which classes (and which profs) are good potential average boosters now that you are almost complete your second year? I am especially interested in 200 level courses....

Hay, I have not finished all my finals yet- I won't be finished until the 30th- but I can give you some feedback on the ones I have written so far and the classes I think are decent.

First of, I took all the BMSC's this year : BMSC 200 - Biomolecules, BMSC 210 - Microbiology, BMSC 220 - Cell Biology, BMSC 224 - Animal Body Systems, BMSC 240 - Laboratory Techniques.

Of all those, the most USEFUL classes in my opinion would have to be 220 and 240. Unfortunately, they are also possibly the hardest ones there. I think, you can manage a good grade in 220 though, I did well in it. And 240 is that bad either, it is really just an incredibly dull class. Having it at 8:30pm Tuesday and Thursdays didn't help either.

The EASIEST ones, in my opinion, would have to be 200, 224 and 230. I just wrote the final for 230 not too long ago. The midterm was incredibly easy, if you studied, and the final was actually very straightforward. Mind you one of the proffs, Scot Stone, was definitely tricky if you don't read his questions carefully.

224 is kind of a joke of a class. The labs are incredibly easy, and in the class itself, everything that you think should happen, does happen. Meaning it's all basic things that we all know but explained a little bit more in-depth although not very much so.

200 I really enjoyed actually. I don't have much to say about it. The professors were fair. Both the midterm and final were very straightforward and all my professors actually held tutorials 2 days before the final to go over the main concepts and things we should expect on the final.

The most ANNOYING AND INFURIATING class, is by far 210. "Figure-head" as notes, DO NOT WORK. Ever. Period. The professor essentially uploaded pictures from the textbook and talked the entire class. This normally would be fine, if he actually tested us on things he talked about. In essence, I memorized the textbook for this class. Questions could literally, and did, pop up from anywhere in the book. If you are good at memorizing and wouldn't mind memorizing the majority of the text you should be fine in it. That being said, I actually have been doing extremely well in it and the main professor is quite humorous and definitely knows his stuff. So it is not impossible to do well, you just have to keep in mind that the majority of the learning will be done on your own.

I also took Pathology 205 and PLSC 315.

Plant Science is a very easy class. Go to class, take notes and even if you don't understand it right away, you will when you study it. Krista is extremely nice and possibly one of the best Professors I've ever had. Considering the subject she teaches, she does her best to keep students motivated and is very helpful when you need her.

I am having mixed feelings about Pathology at the moment. The midterm was very easy and straightforward. Final, a little bit tricky. Some of the Professors were good, some were terrible. I don't necessarily recommend or disapprove of it.

That is about all I have to say about the classes. If you have any that you are looking at or are considering, let me know and I can ask around to see if any of my friends have taken them.

Hope that helps somewhat.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
I'll post in this thread about Chem 255 within a week or two after the final exam

Got a reminder wrt this; long overdue but i'll post here so anyone can see.

So chem 255 wasn't bad at all, but was a bit harder than 250 and wasn't exactly comparable to chem 250 in terms of the style of course content. Chem 255 has a lot more reactions whereas chem 250 was stuff like naming, knowing stereochemistry and functional groups and stuff. You could get through chem 250 without really understanding much conceptually, and I'd say that's true to a lesser extent for 255. Reactions mechanisms, for instance, you can pretty much memorize step by step, but it's much much easier if you understand what's going on. I didn't cram for 255 and followed througout the semester, but unlike what other people may say I'd say you can cram for it, but only if you actually understood what was goin gon in lecture, otherwise you'd probably mix everything up. Also, if chem 250 wasn't really your thing, i'd say not to worry more or less, but there are certain concepts in chem 250 that make 255 much much easier, though aren't really necessary to know if you just go for the hard way of doing things i.e. brute memorization. It's kind if like how you can learn integrals with learning derivatives in math, but it's a terribly innefficient way of doing things. Also a warning that memorizing stuff probably wont go over well with the mcat, but if you understand everything in 250 and 255 well you'd be golden.

Got a reminder wrt this; long overdue but i'll post here so anyone can see.

So chem 255 wasn't bad at all, but was a bit harder than 250 and wasn't exactly comparable to chem 250 in terms of the style of course content. Chem 255 has a lot more reactions whereas chem 250 was stuff like naming, knowing stereochemistry and functional groups and stuff. You could get through chem 250 without really understanding much conceptually, and I'd say that's true to a lesser extent for 255. Reactions mechanisms, for instance, you can pretty much memorize step by step, but it's much much easier if you understand what's going on. I didn't cram for 255 and followed througout the semester, but unlike what other people may say I'd say you can cram for it, but only if you actually understood what was goin gon in lecture, otherwise you'd probably mix everything up. Also, if chem 250 wasn't really your thing, i'd say not to worry more or less, but there are certain concepts in chem 250 that make 255 much much easier, though aren't really necessary to know if you just go for the hard way of doing things i.e. brute memorization. It's kind if like how you can learn integrals with learning derivatives in math, but it's a terribly innefficient way of doing things. Also a warning that memorizing stuff probably wont go over well with the mcat, but if you understand everything in 250 and 255 well you'd be golden.

Thanks for the review man. Might need this for OOP next year!

Archived