Premed 101 Forums

Losing hope...

Wow, every day I get to work (lab) is like a slap in the face. I'm sure you all feel it. Whenever I walk past one of those med school backpacks a little part of me wants to die, a little part wants to run away and hide and a BIG part wants to steal the bag and run away :confused:

I have a horrible undergrad. 70% at UBC (GPA conversion at UBC is around 2.8, OMSAS is around 2.5). I've started a grad program at U of C and am doing well; 3.7. I know by grad standards that's not the best, most grad students have 4.0s but compared to what I had before, I see anything as an improvement. My ECs are the standard: volunteered abroad saving children :P , 4+ years of lab work (no pubs but lots of posters/presentations...hopefully grad school changes that!), coaching sports for several years, volunteering at hospitals...you know, the usual pre med resume.

I'm starting to lose hope though. I know people say keep your head up and the usual but I'm just hearing more and more people tell me about the pitfalls of going abroad (my application is competitive in Aus due to an insane rising trend and grad school) and the "why the hell would you want to go to school outside Canada?"

Add this to the fact that I am the ONLY one in my family who is aiming for med school but has NOT gotten in yet, all my uncles are very well known (world-wide) physicians in their fields and it all makes for a gigantic pressure cooker that is my life. I'm writing the MCAT in a week and these thoughts almost always pop up in my head in the middle of the test. I CANNOT seem to ignore them. It's killing me!

Should I do a second bachelors? Should I do a post-bacc diploma program (at a Canadian school...I don't have $14k a year for the US)? Should I give up and go into research? Get a desk job? I'm so lost. Medicine is what I want in my heart.

I wish that 4 years ago I hadn't told a soul I was planning on med school...at least then there would be no expectation.

Don't give up. The only thing that seems to be holding you back is your GPA, as your EC's seem great (doing well on the upcoming MCAT will also help). I think for med schools in Canada you need a minimum OMSAS gpa of 3.0. You need to do more undergrad courses (a minimum of 2 years full time I think), in order to make yourself competitive in terms of gpa.

If it's something that you really want, finish your grad degree, do some more undergrad, raise your gpa, then apply. It's going to be tough, but it can be done. Good luck!

Wow, every day I get to work (lab) is like a slap in the face. I'm sure you all feel it. Whenever I walk past one of those med school backpacks a little part of me wants to die, a little part wants to run away and hide and a BIG part wants to steal the bag and run away :confused:

I have a horrible undergrad. 70% at UBC (GPA conversion at UBC is around 2.8, OMSAS is around 2.5). I've started a grad program at U of C and am doing well; 3.7. I know by grad standards that's not the best, most grad students have 4.0s but compared to what I had before, I see anything as an improvement. My ECs are the standard: volunteered abroad saving children :P , 4+ years of lab work (no pubs but lots of posters/presentations...hopefully grad school changes that!), coaching sports for several years, volunteering at hospitals...you know, the usual pre med resume.

I'm starting to lose hope though. I know people say keep your head up and the usual but I'm just hearing more and more people tell me about the pitfalls of going abroad (my application is competitive in Aus due to an insane rising trend and grad school) and the "why the hell would you want to go to school outside Canada?"

Add this to the fact that I am the ONLY one in my family who is aiming for med school but has NOT gotten in yet, all my uncles are very well known (world-wide) physicians in their fields and it all makes for a gigantic pressure cooker that is my life. I'm writing the MCAT in a week and these thoughts almost always pop up in my head in the middle of the test. I CANNOT seem to ignore them. It's killing me!

Should I do a second bachelors? Should I do a post-bacc diploma program (at a Canadian school...I don't have $14k a year for the US)? Should I give up and go into research? Get a desk job? I'm so lost. Medicine is what I want in my heart.

I wish that 4 years ago I hadn't told a soul I was planning on med school...at least then there would be no expectation.

I assume you have the required intellectual ability and dedication to become an MD or you wouldn't be here. ;)

First, it's completely rational and normal to have doubts during the process, especially if you are a non-trad. That only makes sense. You are fully aware of the process and recognize the inherent challenges most non-trads face in varying forms. It can be disheartening for those who are working in a field they are not content with, feeling pressure due to increasing age, needing to complete a second degree, raising a family, feeling out of place, etc. Totally normal.

Becoming a professional of any sort is never an easy road, so don't beat yourself up. Regardless of how you get there. If this is something that is still really important to you, continue to pursue it.

There are lots of non-trad success stories (congrats to Andrea M btw, I was happy to see that you got in!), and there are a lot of non-trads on here who have given great advice on how they overcame their challenges. Sometimes that challenge is simply a mental roadblock.

Even though it seems contradictory for a non-trad, sometimes taking a year off to try something completely different will help you clarify your goals and gameplan. Depending on what you want, that may include a second degree.

And maybe by the time you actually CAN get a meds backpack, they'll look cooler by that point. :P

Hey rayjay,

I know exactly how you feel and it seems to me you really want this and have to capacity to do so, so DON'T GIVE UP, once you get that acceptance letter in your hands, it would have all been worth it. YOU CAN DO THIS!

I myself have at least 3 years before I get in, Finished an undergrad with a same GPA as yours, and am now going to begin a second degree, I get my doubts, but my love for medicine pulls me back in.

An awesome example, is supafield, his story has been an inspiration to me and gives me hope. So don't give up. :)

Archived