Premed 101 Forums

Clarification: The Effect of Summer School Marks on GPA in Ontario

Background

Hi Guys. I've been browsing around these forums for a while now, gathering relevant information from numerous threads to answer my question. I just want to clarify my knowledge. I figured this might help others who have a similar question and are looking for a definitive answer from a single thread.

I'm a first year student currently finishing up the first half of Organic Chemistry in summer school. I am to start the second half in two weeks. I was curious to know the impact of summer schools marks towards the GPA various Ontario Medical Schools, and how they actually factor into admissions/cut-offs. I know that OMSAS factors in all marks inputted (including summer school courses) into your OMSAS GPA, but with all these different weighing formulas for med schools, GPA calculations can get a little confusing. It'd be nice if somebody could clarify my current knowledge:

Summer school marks do count:

- McMaster (All marks included into your GPA)

- NOSM (All marks included as well)

- Queens (if opting for the cGPA instead of 2-year)

Summer school marks do not count:

- Ottawa (Provided you have taken the full 5 credits during the regular academic term)

- Queens (if opting for recent 2-year)

- Western (not included in 2 best years)

- Toronto (not included in wGPA)

Based on my knowledge, I think that finishing off Organic Chemistry in summer school is wise considering it is admittedly one of my weaker courses. Would you guys agree?

Background

Hi Guys. I've been browsing around these forums for a while now, gathering relevant information from numerous threads to answer my question. I just want to clarify my knowledge. I figured this might help others who have a similar question and are looking for a definitive answer from a single thread.

I'm a first year student currently finishing up the first half of Organic Chemistry in summer school. I am to start the second half in two weeks. I was curious to know the impact of summer schools marks towards the GPA various Ontario Medical Schools, and how they actually factor into admissions/cut-offs. I know that OMSAS factors in all marks inputted (including summer school courses) into your OMSAS GPA, but with all these different weighing formulas for med schools, GPA calculations can get a little confusing. It'd be nice if somebody could clarify my current knowledge:

Summer school marks do count:

- McMaster (All marks included into your GPA)

- NOSM (All marks included as well)

- Queens (if opting for the cGPA instead of 2-year)

Summer school marks do not count:

- Ottawa (Provided you have taken the full 5 credits during the regular academic term)

- Queens (if opting for recent 2-year)

- Western (not included in 2 best years)

- Toronto (not included in wGPA)

Based on my knowledge, I think that finishing off Organic Chemistry in summer school is wise considering it is admittedly one of my weaker courses. Would you guys agree?

I believe this matches my understanding of things from the Ontario perspective for all the standard programs (ie not in a coop program with rotating semesters or something like that :))

Archived